Straightening Steel Rims

I'd like to use original steel rims on my 56 restoration. I have a number of rims, but most are not exactly straight. Anyone have experience (good or bad) with having rims straightened? Are they as strong or are they weakened significantly by the straightening process. There is a local shop that has the equipment to do the work. Any advice/suggestions? Cheers, Mike

I'd like to use original steel rims on my 56 restoration. I have a number of rims, but most are not exactly straight. Anyone have experience (good or bad) with having rims straightened? Are they as strong or are they weakened significantly by the straightening process. There is a local shop that has the equipment to do the work. Any advice/suggestions? Cheers, Mike

I used a company here in Australia. Gave them 5 crappy old rims.

They checked, blasted and re-painted and they have been fine.

They even marked the one they suggested was best for a spare as it was not quite as good as the other 4.

Not knowing how bad your rims are compared to mine all I can say is it can be done and I've had no issues with balance or failure in the 6 yrs since I had mine done.

Mike - Let me know how it turns out. I have 5 spare (bent) rims on the shelf here in Montreal.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

email me direct : - 58tr3a@videotron.ca

Edit - Someone pointed out to me that I had previously ommited ".ca" in my e-mail address.

It is correct now.

Edited by Don Elliott