Julie:

I recommend using DOT 5 silicone brake/clutch fluid, but only if you eliminate any chance of mixing the glycol brake/clutch fluid that was in there before. They are not compatible. If you are rebuilding the whole system with new seals, rebuilt master cylinder, etc, then go with silicone. It does not chew the paint like the glycol. The TR2 dual master cylinder has a tendency to weep even if it is perfectly rebuilt, so you will have paint issues if you go with glycol due to its caustic properties, and silicone stores better and does not absorb moisture. There are lots of opinions on this issue so if you search the site you will hear all the pros and cons of switching to silicone. My TR2 has silicone and it has been great. Way better than glycol.

Dan

When you've done the search and read all the opinions, the final choice is yours.

However, if you've renewed everything in the braking system, it doesn't matter which you choose, but do not subsequently switch either from Glycol to SBF or vice-versa as you will at least have to thoroughly flush the system, and preferably, replace all rubber parts.

Just an idle thought that crossed my mind whilst I was reading the responses to this post - if you have totally rebuilt your system and replaced seals, you will probably at some point used the red grease that came with the new seals. Is this grease compatible with both SBF and glycol?

Rgds Ian