Tr4 WORKS RALLY REPLICA'S HOW MANY !

Hi Tony - You have seen the car previously being built: I hope that it has the turn in of my 4A rather than that of your bubble topped 4... as I remember from the summer international.M

Good to hear plans are progressing for your TR4, Michael, don't leave it too long, it's getting ever more lonely for a TR4 out on those stages!

Work on WKE is flagging in this cold weather, enthusiam transfusion desperately needed for 2012 - and now I've bought an early fhc Tr7........

Nigel

Edited by Nigel 628

Just been out to try to start the car having changed the jets on the webbers and struggled to start. The net result is that I have burned out the Autolec isolator switch. The home made wiring loom has the starter current/cable going thru the autolec and I suspect that it needs to go direct to the starter with the relay beyond the isolator switch. Anybody got knowledge of this? Being Sunday I can't do what I normally do and ring Simon at TREnterprises - He is my normal first sounding post

• 11 months later...

Hi,

Can I add my 1562DP blue rallying TR4 to the mix.

It has aluminium panels wing vents, spots at the front and a reversing light at the back,

It also has an MSA Historic Rally Vehicle Identity Form and a Competition Car Log book

I has been built by me over the years and we started our stage rallying last Autumn.

Perhaps cars should be identified by what they are used for rather than what they look like, as my car has no history beyond that which I put on it.

As far as 10 minutes in Kielder is concerned. The car has survived a tarmac stage rally, and we are now discussing whether to go gravel stages: as I am told that there is where the ultimate challenge lies- (certainly true if the challenge was purely financial)

We shall see

Michael H

Hi Michael

I have competed on the Welsh forest stages but they are not kind to a low-slung TR4. The last time was on the 2011 Neath Valley Stages Historic, all held within Walters Arena, which virtually wrecked the poor car! So since then I have chosen tarmac rallies wherever possible; however in this country there is not a big selection of such events compared with gravel rallies as there is on the Continent/Isle of Man/Ireland. All of these also involve crossing water which increases costs. Apart from the Jim Clark's closed public roads, and the military ranges of Epynt and Otterburn, tarmac rallies in the UK are restricted to single venue events at army camps and old WW2 airfields - the latter often having tarmac and concrete so potholed and broken up that many forest tracks are smoother!

For 2012 I am planning to contest some rounds of the BHRC, particularly the Jim Clark, Harry Flatters (Epynt) and maybe the Ulster Rally. These comprise all the asphalt rounds of the championship.

The first two rounds are in Wales so I am avoiding them but the Pirelli Historic Rally is being run to a new format this year, all in Kielder but using the southern stages twice, which are reputed to be 'fast and smooth' to suit historic cars. All run on the Saturday with Friday night scrutineering. I await further details on the website but am seriously considering this one! Coming out to play?

http://www.thepirellirally.co.uk/pirellirally/p13/index.php/competitors

Nigel

'Ultimate challenge' for a TR4? My vote goes to closed public roads, flat out on pace notes!!!

With the recent interest by the HRCR in "adopting" a few single venue events I think we will start by doing the "Getting it sideways" near Cheltenham. I know my Navigator is really keen to go to the Caerwent Summer stages. My Rallying (not TR) friends say that gravel forrest stages are the ultimate challenge. Further to this Steve Hall suggests that once you get used to the noise of the gravel hammering the sump guard that the forrest stages are doable.

So my plans are a couple of single venues then see what the state of the car/budget will allow. Work on making a rear sumpguard to protect the exhaust before attempting gravel

Just as a comment - I have never driven to pace notes - so that would be novel. I don't know if Caerwent has pace notes but from doing the Leukaemia over the years I know that it is tight and quite a challenge.

Let the fun begin!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

8YXT belongs to David Somerville, the avid collector of TR4 and other memorabilia, and Group Leader of Shropshire.

David built this car over a number of years and has produced a fine motor.

Ian Cornish