Valve stem oil seals

Reading thru` the Moss catalogue I noticed these on page 29 as a supplementary fitment. Has anyone on here fitted them with a noticeable decrease in oil consumption? Or do they only work on a worn engine or one fitted with the rocker feed kit? (which in itself seems to be a contentious issue!!) I realise the principle behind the rocker feed kit but are they worth fitting? Any input gratefully recieved. Steve.

Rocker feed kit has no place on a standard engine with rockers and shaft in good condition. If you must have one, at least make sure it has a restrictor in it.

Valve guide seals - well, I've got them on my Vitesse on the inlets only. These are the Chris Witor version on machined guides which will fit under the double springs. Ford Pinto ones can be bashed onto the standard guides but only allow single springs.

Nick

I've got the rocker oil feed on one engine with no valve guide seals, and a PCV system which draws crankcase fumes/ oil mist into the inlet manifold. It drank 1 U.S. quart of oil in 4000 miles on a cross country trip in 2009 with 80,000 miles on the rebuilt engine.

My experience has been that (1) my rocker shaft doesn't wear (2) the valves have needed scarcely any adjustment since running in (3) oil consumption has not been an issue ( consider the TR5 testers used 5-6X as much oil on new one <_< ).

My show car does have valve guide seals ( but no rocker oil feed ). I'm actually worried about valve guide wear on it :huh:

Nick, how/where do you fit the restrictor? Cheers. Steve.

hi Steve

I fitted a tapered pin (home made on a off-hand grinder)in the hole of the banjo bolt after reading comments on this forum. Restricts the hole to approx 1mm from about 3 on the standard oil feed kit.

hope this helps

jmo