TR5 (& related) period ads

Oh well he was only showing off his big ...new car!

Please note that in the original french text there is no such ambiguity! Maybe I would better have translated the last sentence by a more litteral 'The Triumph TR5 and its driver passed at the speed of a flashlight"

Oh I hear someone say FLASH?!?!

....The TRIUMPH TR5 and its pilot streaked past."

Surely the French says he streaked past like an eclair. Being Belgian, presumably chocolate :P

Ivor

Thanks for sharing your old Playboys with us Tom! ;)

I actually do have quite a number of TR250 ads in store for publishing in the forthcoming weeks too :)

Edited by Brett

This week, let’s leave Malines, on the track of many a TR5 in the days, to Germany, with this ad taken from a 1968 magazine.

08_TriumphFahrt_AMS1968-05_800.jpg

Some "technical translations" are quite ...interesting (AFAIK engines were exactly the same for these markets)!

- 125 MPH in the UK becomes 200 km/h in France, but only 195 km/h in Germany

- 150 BHP in the UK climbs up to 165 CV SAE in France and down to 143 PS DIN in Germany.

...not to draw any country to country conclusions of course... ;-)

Wow, well spotted down to the tyres Tom!

Let’s talk about tyres this week, then. TR5s were delivered with narrow 4.5J 15” wheels with the famous "fake rostyle" caps, or optionally with wire wheels.

As standard, the tyres were Dunlop SP41 16HR-15, but it was possible to upgrade to Michelin radial ply "XAS" 16HR-15.

Michelin advertised this possibility, as this full page ad in the 15-06-1968 issue of Motor magazine shows:

09_MichelinXAS_800.jpg

It is interesting to note that for the American market, tyres were a larger 185 instead of 165, despite the lower power output. Original fit was Goodyear 185HR-15G800, but here again one could specify Michelin 185SR-15X instead, both types with red band.

By today’s standards, the closest equivalents in size are 165/80x15 and 185/70x15, speed index U or H.

Nice one again, Brett!

Odd thing about the tyres fitted to U.S. cars; the standard Goodyear is considered superior to the Michelin redline optional one ( had a higher speed rating at least ).

The larger diameter was paired with a higher ratio differential giving approximately equal ( very slightly lower ) mph / rpm.

Here, on the other hand, is a TR5 publicity photo showing the Goodyear tyre :huh:

TR5publicityphotoLDU158F.jpg

Here, on the other hand, is a TR5 publicity photo showing the Goodyear tyre :huh:

TR5publicityphotoLDU158F.jpg

Actually, LDU158F, which was used by Triumph for press photos including the pictures in the pre-release press pack, was most probably a TR250 "dressed as a TR5" (badges). Hence the Goodyear tyres, LHD, big front indicators!

Edited by Brett

I agree, this hold-down clamp (green circle below) makes the injector leads look more tidy and prevents them from scratching the bonnet ... However, made of metal, this clamp must also be very good for conducting heat and vapourising the fuel!!!

And what about the low tension lead that should connect the two connectors in the blue circles below? Did the photographer need it to connect his flash to his camera?!?

Brochure_TR5_UK_3_zoom2.jpg

I've read the previous threads on this and can only remark that the inlet mainfolds have no throttle spindles or throttle linkage either .

Also where does the Lucas PI MU get its manifold depression from to enable the claim 'fuel supplied to each cylinder is controlled with absolute accuracy under all operating conditions.'

Don't you just love it when the marketing dept. get in before the product is ready to go.....

At BMH we did a mock up MGF for MG factory marketing consumption to our test bed hack with the most outrageous black finish mag/alloy wheels and lowered the suspension to satisfy the demand that the wheels should fill the arches. It would not drive - we had let down the hyrolastic to get the desired effect.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Another one from the tyre department, this time from Uniroyal, aiming at the 125+mph sportscars market, among them the Triumph TR5… Uniroyal chose to call these tyres “Big Feet”, they have been specially designed for “brutal accelerations” and “higher speeds that you will ever drive”…

10_UniroyalVosPneusSontIls_800.jpg

Last posting about tyres: most TR5 were delivered with Dunlop SP41 16HR-15 tyres factory-fitted, so Dunlop had to spread the word to the world too!

This ad is taken from MOTOR, Earls Court show number, issued on 21-10-1967:

11_DunlopGrip_Motor1967-10-21ShowNumber_800.jpg

How about a trip to the other side of the world this week?

This is a period ad from New-Zealand for "Four incredible Triumphs for dedicated enthusiasts" (not sure if this catch line really is a seller... so you need to be a dedicated enthusiast only to love one of these?!?!?)

"A born rally winner with 2,500 c.c., 6 cylinder 2 litre engine". Erm...

Anyway, these black&white drawings are really nice aren’t they?

12_FourIncredibleTriumphsNZ_800.jpg

By the way, I have no period ad or brochure from Australia, but would love to… if a nice dedicated enthusiast would like to share one… Thank you!

Having just seen the photo's of GKV 672E posted by Derek I thought it would be of interest how the car looks now after a 2 year total ground up restoration.

The car was originally taken from the TR4A production line and was sent to Karmann in Germany for the purpose of restyling the body for the TR6 as per photo,s posted by Derek.

I beleive that some of the panels where actually made of wood or plastic for the mock up and the 4 cylinder drive chain was retained thoughout the duration, the car in this guise was never driven.

The car was eventually returned to the Triumph factory where it was reinstated back to it's original form.

GKV has been stored since the late 80's and I was asked if I would undertake the restoration of the car for the present owner. I am just in the process of finishing the car for the MOT and hopefully the car will be returned to the road at the end of March.

STA70288.jpg

STA70287.jpg

STA70286.jpg

Thank you for sharing this with us :)

I'm amazed that they never scrapped that car once they had made the TR6 mock-up!

Let’s go back to a Triumph brochure, this week "Triumph en France" from late 1967.

13_TriumphEnFrance1967_01_800.jpg

13_TriumphEnFrance1967_02_800.jpg

It’s interesting to note that for once, it’s not JKV654F on the picture, but LDU158F (here without numberplates).

LDU158F had been used by the factory prior to the TR5 launch for official press pictures, such as the ones that came with the TR5 "press pack". LDU158F isn’t actually a TR5, but a TR250, hastily rebadged as a TR5! Hence the US big indicators, red-band 185 tyres, and left-hand drive.

In the next season’s "Triumph en France" brochure (1968), the same car seems to be on the photograph, still without numberplates. It is quite possible that LDU158F, being LHD, was used by Triumph on LHD TR5 export markets (such as France in this case), while JKV654F (RHD) stayed in the UK brochures. (More on this soon...)

14_TriumphEnFrance1967_01_800.jpg

14_TriumphEnFrance1967_02_800.jpg

Here's another one Brett. There are no less than 18 photos in this series plus 2 engine bay some of which formed part of the TR5 press release. I don't believe that this TR was ever a TR250 as the CP commission number can be seen in one of the engine bay photos, the number plate is however false and was actually issed to a Triumph 2000.

Derek

img024.jpg