TR5 (& related) period ads

To make this winter/spring 2011 more interesting, I'm going to publish every week on this thread a scan of a period TR5 (and realted to TR5) ad, taken from my collection.

We naturally start off with an ad for the Lucas Petrol Injection System, taken from an ad in the "Journal du Touring Club Suisse" (our Swiss equivalent to AA) in 1968:

01_LucasTR5Switzerland_800.jpg

Stay tuned for more in the forthcoming weeks! :)

Don't worry, they will keep coming, I have enough material for a few months, just need to scan!! :)

I really love this first one, the drawing, the emphasis on speed, the whole "retro" feel ...hence my avatar if you notice!!

Nice mod on the TR5, cut away bonnet, no doubt for a massive air scoop. Seriously great ad, the car even looks likes it moving.Look forward to more

Robin

This week we‘re moving on to a big classic. If there was only one period ad to keep, it would be this one : The TR5PI brochure by Triumph ! This has also been translated into most export country languages : French, German, Italian, Dutch, etc…

"JKV654F", the red TR5PI which appears on these pictures, will come again later in a couple of other documents, stay tuned for her….

Check out the engine bay for some interesting details, like the valve cover breather filter and the air plenum chamber, which were modified for production cars. This could explain the PCV valve on last week’s picture, that Tom Fremont pinpointed!

02_Brochure_TR5_UK_1_800.jpg

02_Brochure_TR5_UK_2_800.jpg

02_Brochure_TR5_UK_3_800.jpg

02_Brochure_TR5_UK_4_800.jpg

02_Brochure_TR5_UK_5_800.jpg

02_Brochure_TR5_UK_6_800.jpg

02_Brochure_TR5_UK_7_800.jpg

02_Brochure_TR5_UK_8_800.jpg

Funny detail: most of the brochure (except page 2) shows a RHD car, but do you notice something strange about the engine bay? It's a LHD car!

Also, where is the throttle linkage and command cable??

Would anyone have an explanation or know the story behind this?

Edited by Brett

Can't answer about the throttle linkage, but note:

1. Control unit connection to manifold ( Item 7 in the schematic on the brochure ) has been usurped by a PCV valve as fitted to the U.S. TR250, but not the TR5. This PCV valve shows through the bonnnet cutaway in your earlier ad - maybe the brochure " art " was used as basis :huh:

No way I can see that it can run.

2. The awful looking air plenum ( sans TRIUMPH embossing :rolleyes: ) doesn't have the nipple for crankcase ventilation.

Sure seems a mock-up rather than an actual working model <_<

You are right, this engine is a mock-up that could never run!

I had a very interesting conversation with Roger Ferris who gave me more information.

This engine is actually a TR250 one (hence LHD), on which an injection system was hastily fitted for the pictures of the brochure, by someone who didn't really know about petrol injection (like most people in 1967 anyway!!)

Please note:

- balance hoses between manifold are not right

- fuel pump behind distributor cap, you can see the two screws of the cover and the central screw for adjusting the end float (the first 24 TR5 had fuel pump and PRV in engine bay next to the MU, remember! Who says "vapour lock"?!?!?!)

From having seen other pics of this mock-up engine (not used for the brochure), Roger also tells me that the the injector leads were connected wrongly to the metering unit.

So no way this engine could have run!

I see they used a hold-down on top of the rocker box to prevent the injector leads chafing the paint off the bonnet. Could do with that on my 6.

Ivor

I agree, this hold-down clamp (green circle below) makes the injector leads look more tidy and prevents them from scratching the bonnet ... However, made of metal, this clamp must also be very good for conducting heat and vapourising the fuel!!!

And what about the low tension lead that should connect the two connectors in the blue circles below? Did the photographer need it to connect his flash to his camera?!?

Brochure_TR5_UK_3_zoom2.jpg

Edited by Brett

Interesting topic on the wheels. I thought the same thing - that some looked like the covers but a few pictures looked like a solid wheel and, perhaps, in magnesium (the rim color looks alot like a American Racing mag color - not quite aluminum). Here's a question - were these wheels ever an aftermarket for other cars? I know they came on MG's. I thought I heard Land Rover from somewhere? Used on anything else? More importantly, anything that can be swapped onto a TR? Just wondering......

Mmmm, we all know that Photoshop did not exist in 1967, but I would be more enclined to think that these wheels have been enhanced a little bit afterward on the picture... and that they are the original TR5 wheels with the fake Rostyle hubcaps...

Yes Brett I agree with you in that the car featured in the TR5 brochure had the wheels "doctored" by the "pen man". Its quite plain to see the strange matt finish on these and one or two other small features.

Actual Rostyles were never fitted to any production TR as with 5 spaces to fill they could only fit 5 stud hubs!These are not like MG Rostyles as they only had 4 spaces to fill thus 4 stud and an inch less in diameter. However on a mock up car way before production it had genuine Rostyle wheels on one side and wire wheels on the other just to give the factory big chiefs a visual choice.

Alan

Let's stay in France for this week again.

We are now in 1968. Prices went a bit bigger, skirts got a bit shorter. The TR5 is still described as "new" (well, it is!), however it's its last year already...

This ad also shows how Triumph cars were perceived as exotic, oh so british, on the Continent.

04_AaahCesAnglaises68_800.jpg

Back to the TR5 catalogue pictures of the engine bay.

To the left you can see the crank arm of the LHD throttle pedal, without a cable attached, for a carburretor set up. The pedal for a LHD PI car for the Continent had a different arrangement on the left of the car. See the Moss catalogue illustration and Mike Hazlewood thread in TR5 Forum requesting photos of the LHD PI pedal.

Rostyle wheels. The first car that I remember having the real thing fitted as standard was the Rover 3500 saloon, the first UK car to have the 3.5 litre engine in an update of the previous similarly bodied Rover 3 litre, always associated with the Queen Mum. A car of that size and weight probably had 5 stud wheels but I don't know for sure.

Dave McD