Speedo trip reset

My speedometer trip reset was missing the short cable/knob but I found what look like may be a reset cable in a box of used spare parts. It is about 3 inches long, a knurled knob at one end and at the other end there is a small hole across the end of the tube that looks like it may have held a pin to engage in the slot in the speedo reset mechanism. The hole is a larger diameter on one side than the other.

What is not clear is how this rod attached to anything, how it is retained to the speedo body, what stops it falling out and dropping on the floor ?.

Could someone kindly fill in the details of how this all works ?

Stan

My speedometer trip reset was missing the short cable/knob but I found what look like may be a reset cable in a box of used spare parts. It is about 3 inches long, a knurled knob at one end and at the other end there is a small hole across the end of the tube that looks like it may have held a pin to engage in the slot in the speedo reset mechanism. The hole is a larger diameter on one side than the other.

What is not clear is how this rod attached to anything, how it is retained to the speedo body, what stops it falling out and dropping on the floor ?.

Could someone kindly fill in the details of how this all works ?

Stan

Stan, You are lucky to find it. I've been looking for one of those knobs for quite some time. Seems like someone makes repros as the rebuilders all ahve them but maybe it's just old stock. There is a little shaft with a hole in on the bottom of the speedo, just to the right of center, it that the reset goes over and a pin to hold the two together. I don't recall what holds the pin (perhaps that's why they all seem to be missing). Tom

Stan, You are lucky to find it. I've been looking for one of those knobs for quite some time. Seems like someone makes repros as the rebuilders all ahve them but maybe it's just old stock. There is a little shaft with a hole in on the bottom of the speedo, just to the right of center, it that the reset goes over and a pin to hold the two together. I don't recall what holds the pin (perhaps that's why they all seem to be missing). Tom

A very small splitpin, at least there is on mine.

Mike

A very small splitpin, at least there is on mine.

Mike

ok, Thanks Tom and Mike, this is starting to make sense. I have looked at several old speedos and in each case what I see coming out of the speedo is a small stub of a shaft with what looks like a slot in the end. It sounds like that slot used to be a hole but has worn/broken away. The shaft from the speedo goes into the end of the reset rod and then a small split pin goes through the holes to hold it all together.

In my case I need to re-create the hole at the end of the pin coming out of the speedo and find a teeny split pin.

Stan

Or a short length of wire will do. Slip it through, twist it around itself and "your monkey's uncle".

Thanks again folks. I found an intact but rusted speedo and now I see the hole in the shaft coming out of the speedo for the reset. I dont have this hole on my installed speedo but I see how this is intended to work.

For our non English speaking friends there are a few English expressions that involve uncles (and probably a few with monkeys especially if you live in a cold climate).

"Bob's your uncle" often used to conclude an explanation of how something works or how to assemble something, effectively saying "and that's that".

Example: Connect A to B and Bob's your uncle.

The other one that I am familiar with is "monkeys uncle", an expression of surprise as in:

Person A: Frank won $20m in the lottery last night:

Person B: Well I'll be a monkeys uncle.

My English English is a bit rusty but one of the natives will correct me.

Stan

My English English is a bit rusty but one of the natives will correct me.

There sure are plenty of weirdo expressions and colloquiallisms. Try Googling for "english sayings slang".

Here's one, although sadly only the tip of the iceberg and no mention of monkey's uncles or even brass monkeys!

http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml