Temperature gauge bulb

Anybody figured our how to remove the temperature gauge bulb from the thermostat housing without destroying it ?

james

Good soaking with Vinegar as its steel in Ally.

Stuart.

Good soaking with Vinegar as its steel in Ally.

Stuart.

You will probably need to make a reservoir from plasticene, blue-tack or similar, but preferably remove the housing and turn it so that bulb is vertical and the vinegar can soak in over several days.

I think Alec suggested something more effective than vinegar on a similar posting some time ago.

Vinegar will help, and cider vinegar seems to work better than malt vinegar - for reasons I know not why !

Kettle descaler, formic acid, is another good one - removes limescale and suchlike rather more quickly, especially hot. Unpleasant stuff though, not good for the respiratory system, plenty of ventilation required . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Went to all the trouble of removing it carefully and keeping it original, then decided to have a new capilliary and bulb fitted.

Potential for brittle pipework when refitting convinced me it was the right thing to do.

Service and a new tube and it looks like new.

Rgds

Rod

Guest colinTR2

Rod

Where did you get the pipe/sender replaced? One of those little jobs for the winter. I made a note of what sounded like a good man/company some time ago but of course can't find it now. Even bought a second hand casting in case (when) I have problems getting the sender out. I know I can't get it, having tentatively tried. I remember the chap I spoke to said, just cut the pipe leaving a couple of inches still attached to the gauge.

cheers

Colin

I only wanted to get it out because I am fitting a Revington heater/cooker and am changing the colour of my gothic black mid fifties trim to a brighter grey. I also hope that it will get a bit less hot in the summer sun.

As this entails taking out the dashboard I wanted to remove the thermo gauge intact - it's not very old and I refuse to bust something unless I have to

If you insist on cutting and snipping (believe me the vinegar trick works !), then maybe the services of somebody like Speedograph Richfield are what you need.

Think twice - cut once

james

Rod

Where did you get the pipe/sender replaced? One of those little jobs for the winter. I made a note of what sounded like a good man/company some time ago but of course can't find it now.

Try Speedy Cables - see http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=26252&st=0&p=189818&hl=capillary&fromsearch=1&&do=findComment&comment=189818