Is it really back? Or..

I would agree with Raymond - Glenn's TR3S replica was sold some years ago to someone in the Far East. He made a fantastic job of the car, including the reproduction of the twin-choke SUs.

Glenn has helped Phil Tucker and Paul Hogan with their recent TR3S reproductions, both of which were at the S-T Day at Prescott in May - although Hogie's car chose to select 2 gears at the same time, so left on the back of a truck. Phil, too, has reproduced those SUs. None of these cars has a Sabrina engine, although Phil uses a rather nice twin-cam, 2-litre, Alfa engine (see TR Action).

Ian Cornish

I would agree with Raymond - Glenn's TR3S replica was sold some years ago to someone in the Far East. He made a fantastic job of the car, including the reproduction of the twin-choke SUs.

Glenn has helped Phil Tucker and Paul Hogan with their recent TR3S reproductions, both of which were at the S-T Day at Prescott in May - although Hogie's car chose to select 2 gears at the same time, so left on the back of a truck. Phil, too, has reproduced those SUs. None of these cars has a Sabrina engine, although Phil uses a rather nice twin-cam, 2-litre, Alfa engine (see TR Action).

Ian Cornish

Just a few observations:

Notice the Plexiglas windscreen which appears to be ridiculously thick - must cause a great deal of distortion.

Is that a small horn push or windscreen washer button to the left of the Tach. Also some extra bits to the left of the O/D switch, small gauge and a lever-handled switch. Driving lights?

Maybe its just me but it always seems bizarre to see Japanese folks driving LBC's in Japan. Maybe Bill P knows? How many sidescreen TR's were originally exported to the land of the rising sun?

TR3S-Japan.jpg

TR3S-Japan-2.jpg

Edited by angelfj

Hi Frank,

the screen will almost certainly be made of Lexan, and you need that sort of thickness in a frameless screen of that width - it's fine to view through from a seated position, but not from the camera angle of the interior shot. And yes it is Glenn's old car.

Cheers,

Alec

Lever-handled switch looks like a battery cut-out switch.

i assumed it was an indicator switch - it doesn't seem to be on the steering wheel boss.

i was wondering what the card reader was under the glove box, but i think it may be for a "tag" linked to the satnav for paying road tolls. there are a LOT of toll roads in japan.

the japanese car enthusiasts have quite wide tastes in cars and like our LBC's as much as their own "LJC's". of course they've been inspiration too, for their own products - mazda mx5/miata/eunos and wasn't the original datsun fairlady their version of the mgb?

alan

Edited by alanh

i assumed it was an indicator switch - it doesn't seem to be on the steering wheel boss.

Yes. Perhaps one of those self-returning clockwork jobbies that also starts the engine and rotates a crumpet-toaster.

Ivor

I assumed not. At least I heard that the Remaining TR3S bodies were dismantled and scrapped or put away in Stanpart's "closet"... Anyone know what the TrS engine was based off of? I know the DU6 carbs were used on Coventry Climax's at the time, but the block seems familair.

JDB

Hi JDB,

you can read most of what's reliably known about the TR3S cars in the various TR books written by Graham Robson and Bill Piggott . . . . :D

The cars were dismantled after their one race, Le Mans 1959, and officially the components scrapped, other than those reutilised in the successor TR4S cars which ran at Le Mans in 1960 and 61. Having said that, it seems possible that at least some items went 'over the wall', and it also seems possible that a few items might even remain extant.

A contentious subject, and one potentially clouded by financial implications and interests, and I'd suggest there's no merit in further uninformed speculation about possible minor remnants ! For all practical purposes, the TR3S cars passed into history half a century ago, any remaining odds'n'sods do not a car make . . . . B)

That's not to take anything away from the splendid replicas, which have no connection with the original team cars, other than one of them bearing an 'original' registration number acquired in recent years.

The 'Sabrina' engine was a peculiar construction, Standard Triumph's own eccentric creation, which owed not a lot (if anything) to anyone else's development lines.

If you use the search facility, top r/h corner of the screen, and search for Sabrina in Forums you'll find a fair few past references to the cars and engines.

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Maybe its just me but it always seems bizarre to see Japanese folks driving LBC's in Japan. Maybe Bill P knows? How many sidescreen TR's were originally exported to the land of the rising sun?

Frank, at least one :-) My Heritage Certificate on TS69891LO states that my car was originally shipped to the new owner in Kobe Japan.

Cheers,

David

the japanese car enthusiasts have quite wide tastes in cars and like our LBC's as much as their own "LJC's". of course they've been inspiration too, for their own products - mazda mx5/miata/eunos and wasn't the original datsun fairlady their version of the mgb?

alan

I bummed my way to Japan, via MAC, in the early 60's. The datsun fairlady had just been released there. It was amusing to see the copied Austin engine complete with khaki paint and the signature bowden cable wire inner holding the oil filler cap on.

The only jap products we were getting in Malaya (and elsewhere) were hifis and Honda stepthroughs. It was an education to go through Tokyo and see everything from building cranes, trucks, cars, and motorbikes all Japanese. The only vehicles I saw from elsewhere were two Hillman minxs.

I wrote a detailed article including driving impressions about this car, built by Glen Hewett circa 1994, which appeared in TRaction at the time...about number 121 without looking it up...car was on front cover....it went like stink as I recall, and I hit 115 on the Wallingford bypass in about half a mile....Glen sold it a year or so later and it definitely went to Japan as no one in the UK would pay a realistic price for it...it appeared as well on the Register NEC stand in Nov 94 I think....Glen tells me he'd be happy to build a similar replica for anyone with a reasonable pile of moolah....wish I could afford it! Bill P.

Thanks for all your replys. What a splendid car this is as well as some "others". Would love to have one of these like the TRS revington. I came across the other day, some photos of the original engine and detailed photos of the TR3S at LeMans. I'll see if I can get a copy and send them to you.

Best Regards,

JDB

Japanese collectors have scooped up quite a few of our best TR2-3A's. The dark red TR2 in the set of pics with the TR3S looks to be an ex local car, minus its normal hardtop.

They've splashed big money for wanted cars, to the delight of vendors. Convertible E Types are another of their favourites.

Viv.