Mystery wires that go nowhere

At the front right hand corner of my LHD TR3A, next to the horn where the loom branches off to the front lamps I have several wires that are not connected to anything. There is a green/brown pair plugged into a double connector and a single green/red wire plugged into another double connector. I thought perhaps my car had a hacked up loom but I checked another 1960 TR3A and it has the same wires, also terminated but not connected to anything.

Everything seems to work (horns, lamps) so I wonder what these wires do ?

Stan

At the front right hand corner of my LHD TR3A, next to the horn where the loom branches off to the front lamps I have several wires that are not connected to anything. There is a green/brown pair plugged into a double connector and a single green/red wire plugged into another double connector. I thought perhaps my car had a hacked up loom but I checked another 1960 TR3A and it has the same wires, also terminated but not connected to anything.

Everything seems to work (horns, lamps) so I wonder what these wires do ?

Stan

Nothing they are part of the loop in the loom

Hi Stan,

one guide

http://www.tjwakeman.net/TR/Lucaswirecodes.htm

And if you put "Lucas wiring colour codes" into Google you'll find all sorts of references.

In a general sense, often enough terminations into a double connector are there as provision for certain export markets requiring additional fitments - side repeater/flashers for example.

As an aside, when you go back to the late 50s and 60s, some rallies (notably the Monte) were notorious for nitpicking at scrutineering on occasion, provision for ancillary lighting and suchlike extras had to be incorporated in the main loom not as separate circuits. My 1958 Humber has unused connections for just that provision.

Cheers,

Alec

Stan - Those wires and connectors are part of the cable harness in order to use the same harness for both RHD as well as LHD TRs. For example, the wires that come into the same end of that double connector are really one wire in for RHD and the 2nd wire in that same connector feeds the power back out and over the the LH side to work properly for LHD TRs.

I fully agree with Don! I expierenced the same problem when I first put my car together, 6 yrs ago (I wouldn't call it a restoration back then. Just good enough to get a Dutch license plate et al).

Anyway, I think the best wiring scheme can be found on Advance Auto Wire. That used to be Dan Master's company and website (or is it still?)

Anyway, click on 'Stock Schematics' and choose the PDF for your car.

A tip: have the page printed at a copy shop, as large as possible and hang it on your garage wall. It's much easier to read that way!

Menno

Very interesting, thanks all. Another one of those idiosyncrasies of the TR3A.

I do have the color wiring diagram and could see that loop in the green/brown, just couldn't resolve all these wires 100% as the wiring diagram doesn't tell you where the connection is reliably.

Stan

Very interesting, thanks all. Another one of those idiosyncrasies of the TR3A.

I do have the color wiring diagram and could see that loop in the green/brown, just couldn't resolve all these wires 100% as the wiring diagram doesn't tell you where the connection is reliably.

Stan

I had the TR3 wiring laminated (A4 size/foolscap) and carry one in the car and another hangs in the garage. I like Memmos idea, so I will have a local shop do a larger print.

Regards,

John

I fully agree with Don! I expierenced the same problem when I first put my car together, 6 yrs ago (I wouldn't call it a restoration back then. Just good enough to get a Dutch license plate et al).

Anyway, I think the best wiring scheme can be found on Advance Auto Wire. That used to be Dan Master's company and website (or is it still?)

Anyway, click on 'Stock Schematics' and choose the PDF for your car.

A tip: have the page printed at a copy shop, as large as possible and hang it on your garage wall. It's much easier to read that way!

Menno

Menno,

Advance Auto Wire is now operated by a Gentleman by the name of Steve Carrick.

Cheers,

M. Pied Lourd

I had the TR3 wiring laminated (A4 size/foolscap) and carry one in the car and another hangs in the garage. I like Memmos idea, so I will have a local shop do a larger print.

I take it sanity prevailed and you decided not to sell your car, or have you recognised the error and bought another one?

I take it sanity prevailed and you decided not to sell your car, or have you recognised the error and bought another one?

Hi Brian,

The vintage car (Riley Sports nine) offered to me is now longer for sale and although I do fancy another Vintage car it will have to wait until the spring! My "problem" is that I can only get three cars into the garage and am unable to extend it any more.

Regards,

John.

John - Is the roof of your garage high enough that you could install a lift to put one of them "upstairs" ? Something along the lines of what Mike Hazelwood had for sale this week ?

Hello Don,

Unfortunately not - I do not want my cars to live outside and as I am using the TR less and less, only for short journeys now, I thought that a small engined vintage car would be most suitable. The Lagonda loves long journeys but it takes about 10 miles for the 3 gallon sump to warm up even in the summer!

Regards,

John.