TR7

Guest Kyle - Apex

Guest Kyle - Apex
is it possible that i am the youngest owner of a TR7 ?! I got mine for my 16th bday in February! Plus i am going to keep my TR7 completely original  :D  it deserves to be kept original.
Guest Kyle - Apex
I have been talking to your son on MSN for a while now, he told me about how he got his TR7V8 its really cool! i joined the tr - register the other day when my dad renewed his membership i cant wait to get to a meeting with my car!

Hi Guys,

I have loved TRs sinces i was a baby and i'm coming up to 16 in july now and still loving them. I recently got my own TR7 sprint but dads going to drive it until i'm old enough then, its not left for a long time to rust. Also at the moment, i'm helping dad down in the garage to build a TR7 V8 which must be the best project i've ever done and i can't wait to give it a spin. Nice to know there are younger members enjoying there cars.

Nice one Lizzie & Kyle  :laugh:

It's great to know there are young people out there who appreciate the 7.  You may not be able to drive it on the road just yet but Alec was only recently telling me that 15 is the youngest you can enter the TRR sprint & hillclimb events.  Just a thought.....

Malcolm.

(Who was 16 once too, but didn't have such good taste then).

kyle

How did you go about Insurance? I enquired about Layla (Lizzie) and was given a ball park of 2k for a 2k std 7. CM will not cover under 25's in a classic insurance, obviosly the owner not the car has to be crusty?

Also I have a suspicion tthat I will have to take out the sprint motor just to get her insured.

Any help in direction would be great

Andy

Guest Kyle - Apex

I talked to Footman James at the Tr event in stonleigh recently and they said if i kept my TR7 all standard and stuff they would insure my for £719 or something around that mark on Third Party Fire and Theft, is that anyhelp?

I remember that car that was on ebay it looked well nice i told my dad to get it! although i didnt like the interior  ???  sorry!

Lol so is the conclusion that there are about 3 young people that own TR7s and thats it?

I can't assist on the insurance subject.... except to say that I my first insurance premium was £780 for basic :P third party!  No fire cover, no theft cover.  I was just a couple of months into my 20's at the time and the car was worth a piffling £450.

At the time the TR7 was classed as Group 7b and cost more to insurance than the Astra GTE!!  I never did figure out why a faster, newer motor that attracted tea-leafs like a fresh do-do attracts flies cost less than my old nail!  (Oh and the premium included a 'starter' discount for having driven as a named driver for a couple of years)

Guest Kyle - Apex
I hate insurance it should be cheaper and petrol damn it!!!!!!!!!! and now im gunna have to do a conversion on my car so it will run on unleaded damn it cus stupid petrol stations have stopped selling lrp
Guest Kyle - Apex
Yay if i pass my gcses i get a paint job for my car - im getting it dont black!!!! and then getting a black leather interior and puttin chrome weller wheels on!!!!!!hehehe
I am new here having just come back into TR7 ownershp after a loooooong break and I guess the unleaded topic may have been done before but when I bought my TR7 I asked the dealer (Robsport) about using unleaded and they said there was no problem with unleaded on the TR7 8 valve engine, the logic being that when it was made they were already unsing unleaded in the States and there was only one cylinder head made for both US and UK cars. They did however say that the car would run better with 'super' unleaded like Optimax. I also checked the listings in Practical Classics which also say the TR7 is OK on unleaded. Am I being mis(un)lead?   ???

In recent years I've run my 7s on U/L and v8s on Optimax (where I can get it).  No problems to report here.  If you want to use a lead replacement additive go ahead.  I expect it will extend the life of your valve seats.  My cars only do 5,000 miles or so a year and I've never bothered.

Malcolm.

Guest Karlbristol

Tesco's all still do LRP and you don't even have to go into the shagging garage shop to pay if you press they're "pay at pump" button... nice one  :;):

One thing us guys should think about though is sitting on our wallets and putting the credit card back in the same way each time. Mine got stuck in the machine recently... right pain in the rectum. Oh, and why do these things always happen on a Friday when no bank is open?

I've personally preferred to use LRP but you'll be fine with the super unleaded (the higher octane one) with a little bottle of additive that annoyingly rolls around behind your head in the little wine bottle holder well (well that's what I call it)... I'm thinking about making a springloaded holder for a bottle with two glasses and corkscrew (not to be forgotten) nicely tucked away in the boot. You can always grab a french stick and cheeses from the Deli... and makes a nice stop off in the country on day's like this...

On the subject of unleaded, I'm (sort of) with Alec on this. My 8v DHC has been run on ordinary unleaded for over 3 years now, averaging 6000 miles a year, including a fair amount of main road fastish running. No problems to report on valve seat recession at this point. (Would you call this tempting fate?) As far as I'm concerned I shall continue like this until something breaks, then replace it!!

Mike

PS the replacement could well have 16 valves! :D

Just to add that I did a little bit on this a couple of years ago...Unleaded vs Leaded in which I side with Malcolm, Mike and Alec.  I now have a recon engine  ???  but the reason wasn't due to use of unleaded!  And just a note on LRP.... it does not have any British Standard associated with it and the long-term effects of its usage are unknown!
Guest Kyle - Apex
oh right cheers for that then people:d i have been running it on unleaded since i had it but didnt know wether it was the right thing to do because of the valve seats wearing! Thank u!!
Guest Kyle - Apex
well you will be happy to hear motivation struck and i got the near side half of the car down to metal where the rust was and all primered:D only another 3 sides to go .... damn it
Guest Kyle - Apex
Well went out today and bought a custom made Cobra Black interior for my & and fitted it in all of about 2 hours! very chuffed with the finished product thought:D it looks very cute, all i got to do now is but some black bucket seats instead of the blue tartany things lol.