scuttle vent flap

Ian,

Totally agree... but I need to get hold of one to copy, or a dimensioned drawing! Out of all of them I think the hinge will be hardest to shape but the others very easy. I certainly don't want to pay £95.00 for a complete flap where most of it will be scrapped! On top of the money I'm going to have to shell out on the other bits for the vent flap which have gone AWOL. |I can tell you exactly where they were, Box 1 Bag 8... I have had Box 1 and it's remaining contents returned with the car, but not Bag 8!

Hi Clive,

I guess you are probably sorted by now but just in case here are some pics and a very crude sketch of my vent mechanism. Apologies for the quality of the pics but I am using a camera that won't 'do' very close up photos.

Rgds Ian

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've only just had a nchance to log on...

mjdearing, could you post a photo so I can see them please? I've just had an email ij with pictures of some NOS items but am waiting for a price for them... Hopefully between that one and this one this will be me sorted on the mechanism bits, just need to get the trunnion, knob escutcheon etc. then.

Thank's for the photos Ian.

It doesn't rain but it pours! First there seemed to be none available, now I have a possibility of two...

I don't know. I would guess fit may have been brass... but mine was a dull silver colour I think, so perhaps aluminium... I'd post a photo of mine taken as I stripped the car, but it won't let me post them on comments...

Clive.

Found my spare one, it's aluminium, & in good condition - yours for the postage.

give me your address, I will pop it in the post.

Bob.

I've sent you a DM with the address Lebro, thank you! Greatly appreciated!

Hi Clive,

I guess you are probably sorted by now but just in case here are some pics and a very crude sketch of my vent mechanism. Apologies for the quality of the pics but I am using a camera that won't 'do' very close up photos.

Rgds Ian

Thank's for the sketch as well... I didn't see that among the photos at first! Rural Broadband... actually lack of it and doing everything over mobile internet...

Clive.

Have just found a Knob (for pulling open the vent flap.

It's matt & brown (with age) rather than black & shiny, but it's all there.

I was keeping it just in case I broke mine, but could be yours for a fiver !

Bob.

Clive.

Have just found a Knob (for pulling open the vent flap.

It's matt & brown (with age) rather than black & shiny, but it's all there.

I was keeping it just in case I broke mine, but could be yours for a fiver !

Bob.

I've already sourced one Rob, but the one I ordered was originally a second hand one so I was hoping Bakelite... However, they've contacted me to say it's actually going to be a new one they send instead, so I think it may be plastic... If your vent flap poull knob is brown with age then I think it is likely to be bakerlite, do you think that is the case?

Clive.

I see you have changed your profile photo. Me too.

The knob I have will be Bakerlite.

I restored all the knobs on my 3 using the following method:

1. clean thoroughly

2. steal a white wax crayon from grandchild, & use it to fill all the text "grooves" with wax.

3. polish off excess wax, this should leave the text clearly visible in white.

4. spray several coats of clear laquer over the knob.

Better still use Tippex once the original legend has been cleaned up, flood the lettering, leave to dry and polish excess off with Tcut.

Stuart.

Clive.

1. clean thoroughly

2. steal a white wax crayon from grandchild, & use it to fill all the text "grooves" with wax.

attachicon.gifDash 3.JPG

My profile picture is "grabbed" automatically from Facebook. The one at the moment shows me with my Stepdaughter Em on the way into her wedding... The campervan took the mother of the bride (Wendy) and the bridesmaids, while my other stepdaughter's partner took Em most of the way in my 2004 MR2, and then we swapped her into the 1954 TR2 for the last little bit of the journey... All three cars are in the picture, the campervan was hired for the day...

Clive.

1. clean thoroughly

attachicon.gifDash 3.JPG

Bob,

The "new" knob arrived today and it does not have the word "vent" on it and it defo looks plastic rather than bakerlite. Assuming from your post earlier yours does have "vent" it on there, therefore I'd like to purchase the one you have. Can you let me know total with P&P please, or did the £5.00 incl;ude that already? I'll PayPal you the money when you come back to me, providing the knob is still available... Cheers.

Hi Clive.

No, they should not have anything written on them - the writing is on the escutchion.

I was refering to all the other knobs when I was talking about how to restore them.

Mine on window sill awaiting your final decision !

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Ah, OK... I must be having a dim moment... A whole load of TR bits and pieces have arrived today so it's a bit of overload! In that case I might as well check this one over carefully and see if it will do... returning it will cost me as much as the knob itself!

Ive been following this discussion as I've got similar issues with my car, I actually bought the unit on eBay from TR trader which is complete but the hinge element that is secured to the bulkhead directly in front of the windscreen is broken; one of the tubes that the rod runs through has snapped off. Not much of a problem & should hopefully be able to weld back on. My question is should I be able to remove the rod from this hinge piece as at the moment it appears to be solid. The other question is should the flap itself extend to the vertical position? If not I can't see how to remove the two fixing bolts that secure the hinge to the bullhead. I was able to slide the flap off due to the broken hinge but without this the flap was fouling the bulkhead when I tried to extend it to the vertical position.

Graeme

• 2 weeks later...