scuttle vent flap

Hi folks, another how does it work question... the vent flap on my TR3A had rusted so badly that the hinges were gone and so was some of the mechanism. Inside the hole I see a pivot that would sort of match up with the appendage on the lid, there is a wire attached to a knob on the dash but there is no spring.

The lid and spring are on order from Moss but it is unclear to me where the spring attaches and how the whole thing fits together. Not sure if a photo is possible but that would be helpful as would a description of how this works..

Thanks,

Stan

Hi Stan

This is how I did mine to make sure it worked until the right parts came along including the seal which does not fit, and it seems to work fine :D however do not bank on it being correct :unsure:

Edited by ntc

Hi Stan

This is how I did mine to make sure it worked until the right parts came along including the seal which does not fit, and it seems to work fine :D however do not bank on it being correct :unsure:

Thanks Neil, that is a great picture. I have the new seal which TRF assured me would fit better than the TR6 equivalent that I had to hack quite a bit before the lid would close properly..

Am I correct that the long side of the spring just gets clamped by the bracket that is held in place by the two bolts in your picture ?

Stan

Yep there should be a small space for the spring where the lugs are

Sorry, one more question.. where the rod is attached to the operating lever, that lever has a fork in it so I assume there is some kind of fastener that goes through the two holes in that fork and the operating rod goes up the middle and through the fastener.

What does that fastener look like ?. I'm thinking it might be similar to the widget that the TR6 heater valve uses to secure the cable..

Stan

Edited by foster461
  • 1 year later...

Stan, the last rubber vent seal I fitted was too big and the vent wouldn't sit down flush at the front. There isn't enough tension on the vent lid spring to compress the seal. Getting the vent to sit flush meant cutting the channel in the seal deeper, so it sat lower. That helped a bit but I also had to raise the vent hinges with SS flat washers to allow the front of the vent to sit level with the scuttle.

The tiny lock bolt on the fastener widget needs the smallest spanner known to mankind. Also a thin hand to reach into the vent hole to get the lock bolt started and hold it in position until tightened. All while you are reaching across the car, so try and make sure everything is trial fitted beforehand.

One of those jobs that could prompt bad language from a Saint. :o

Viv.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know where I can get the yellow part and the two blue parts in the picture posted by jbenajes in this thread?

http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/jbenajes/media/TR3%20vent%20flap/TR3-Ventmechcomplete.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/jbenajes/library/TR3%20vent%20flap?sort=3&page=1

I've asked Mark Macy in the USA as he's about to send some other bits to me and he is checking if he has them, I've also inquired at Revington TR and they think that they are not available or may come as part of the lid. (My lid does not seem to have them now, though it did have... I'm waiting to here back from them with a definite answer though...

The yellow and red part come as an assembly with a new vent lid these days, Not the best made items but it will do the trick. Try TR Shop TR Bitz or TR Trader or TR Improvements for s/hand bits.

Stuart.

Chears Stuart. Revington have just said that those bits don't come with the lid... and are not available... onward and upward... but perhaps not for the vent. I'll keep trying!

TR Shop think they may have one... Hopefully my description is getting better and is enought to identify the bits I need... awaiting their call back as well now.

Just a word of caution, be very careful when opening the bonnet for the first time as you may catch the rear edge on the front of the vent lid taking the paint off. It's a bugger to fix, I was very lucky to get a NOS item which solved my height issue.

The lid must be flush with scuttle top, particularly if you have close panel gaps.

Rod

My TR2 is actually before the commission number that the flap officially came in, and I was going to have the whole thing welded shut and closed up forever as I thought it was a later scuttle. When we stripped the car we found that the scuttle was actually manufactured the way the early ones were,. but had the flap... I then managed to track down the second owner, and he confirmed that the car always had had the flap. Lucky escape perhaps, but a headache now that the parts are "AWOL"...

Cheers Roger. I'll put a watch on it! At £95.00 it seems a bit expensive when all I nee are a couple of pieces... but if that's the way I have to do it, then so be it. At least the auction end date allows me to see if the part can be sourced at the spares day, I think...

Ian,

Totally agree... but I need to get hold of one to copy, or a dimensioned drawing! Out of all of them I think the hinge will be hardest to shape but the others very easy. I certainly don't want to pay £95.00 for a complete flap where most of it will be scrapped! On top of the money I'm going to have to shell out on the other bits for the vent flap which have gone AWOL. |I can tell you exactly where they were, Box 1 Bag 8... I have had Box 1 and it's remaining contents returned with the car, but not Bag 8!

Clive,

I am about to go overseas for a while so I am a bit pushed for time but if I can make some time tomorrow, I will measure up the one from my car and post a sketch here with a couple of pictures, it hasn't been fitted yet.

Rgds Ian