Going off topic a little but another thing which would be good to get made is the clutch houseing cover plate. The little tin thing at the bottom of the bell houseing.. Good original ones when you can find them fetch a premium price.

I will email the guys at Harrington and point them at this thread and ask if they can make the stone gaurds

Cheers

Alan

Goodonya Alan,

Do you want to sound them out about the clutch houseing cover plate as well?

Mike

Going off topic a little but another thing which would be good to get made is the clutch houseing cover plate. The little tin thing at the bottom of the bell houseing.. Good original ones when you can find them fetch a premium price.

These are already made in stainless by a guy in the US.

Joe Alexander - top guy.

eBay ID - n197tr4 (I think)

I'll PM you his email address.

AlanR

Having read about these things in the past, when I bought mine, I was expecting them not to fit and to have to spend hours if not days fettling them.

In the event, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, although it still took a long time. A bit of care and wrap your pliers in a thick layer of masking tape to avoid scratching them.

Rgds Ian

I have had a reply from Harrington Group. They do not believe they could compete with Moss on Price for this item in Aluminium. The cost for stainless steel items would be even greater but as they make a simular item for a Merc they might look at it if there was enough interest. I may send off some sample origonals to see what they think. If made in stainless the fixings may have to be different from the origonal items as the clips that bend up under the wing would be difficult to manipulate in stainless.

In the mean time they are still looking for a MK3/4 spitfire bumper if anyone has one

Cheers

Alan

I have had a reply from Harrington Group. They do not believe they could compete with Moss on Price for this item in Aluminium. The cost for stainless steel items would be even greater but as they make a simular item for a Merc they might look at it if there was enough interest. I may send off some sample origonals to see what they think. If made in stainless the fixings may have to be different from the origonal items as the clips that bend up under the wing would be difficult to manipulate in stainless.

Cheers

Alan

I'd be interested in seeing a costing when they can do one. I for one am happy to pay more (within reason) for quality.

Mkie

Having read about these things in the past, when I bought mine, I was expecting them not to fit and to have to spend hours if not days fettling them.

In the event, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, although it still took a long time. A bit of care and wrap your pliers in a thick layer of masking tape to avoid scratching them.

Rgds Ian

Then you were lucky ;)

Stuart

• 2 years later...

Hi Guy

Don't know the answer but think I recall seeing a thread here that suggested that replacements were 'formed' slightly differently from / to the originals.

No doubt useful guidabnce will be forthcoming shortly...

Miles

Guy, I bought my stone guards from TRF. With some guidance from Stuart I got them to fit after a day of manipulating them and removing material with a dremel. They were not badly made but needed careful trimming where the edges need to sit flush on the panel and I had to rebend some of the tabs as well as slightly bend the larger piece to get it to conform to the fender. I imagine all of the repro stone guards will be similar. It was helpful to compare what I had with an original set to see where and how they differed.

Stan

Thanks Miles and Stan for your posts :)

My 3a was rebuilt in1991, and i think its likely that repro stoneguards were fitted?

Heres a couple of photos.

DSC_1230_zpsf7dcf9b7.jpg

DSC_1231_zps1197b23a.jpg

I have nothing to compare them with or even another Tr3 to look at close up, are these repros?

If so how much would need to come of the edges?, the photos show the raised edge, should that all be removed so the stone guard fits to the body with only the thickness of the aluminium exposed?

So many questions

I think the Owners of the Mudflap and Stoneguard club, Mudflap Mike and Andy G should start to produce something usefull like these. <_<

Cheers

GUY

Original small ones on the right for comparison below. The large ones are a bit of a lottery as the wings are very often different anyway.

Stuart.

photo0672_zps008418ba.jpg

photo0673_zpsae027680.jpg

photo0675_zps5d48b5fb.jpg

Edited by stuart

Thanks Stuart

Those pictures are helpful.

Looks like its going to take some careful fettling, mine had just been slapped on the car. :mellow:

Heres a previous thread i gave just found on the subject

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/18532-photos-of-stone-guards-please/

Cheers

GUY

I was lucky enough to find three NOS guards for the TR2 and save the fourth...the NOS ones were 'bright dipped aluminum' with no polish after the plating. Not unlike an NOS grill...they were scuffed a bit from storage so I had them bright dipped after buffing a bit and then dulling back. They still required a little TLC to fit perfectly. Bright dip is a form of anodizing. It should be available in the UK...I would think. Not deadly like cadmium.

The old repros had imperfect curves and the curved area where they met the fenders 'wings' and sills were too thick and had to be cut back. A lot of this was needed anyway to fit them. I had a set for the 3A back in the late '80s and gave them away. Ended up spending more time pecking, filing, sanding and buffing a set of originals but saving felt better than accommodating mistakes.

If the origonals are not to corroded you can remove the dents and then polish them up, I ahve done that with mine and they don't look too bad

Alan

Guy

We at the Stoneguard club have focussed exclusively on the TR6 up until now but would be happy to consult with our craftsman as to the viability of TR3 creations, he works in aly and stainless and we could offer a choice of finishes..........

Watch this space ;)

Cheers

Guy

We at the Stoneguard club have focussed exclusively on the TR6 up until now but would be happy to consult with our craftsman as to the viability of TR3 creations, he works in aly and stainless and we could offer a choice of finishes..........

Watch this space ;)

Cheers

Exactly correct you will find us at Malvern just look for the flag!! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Mike B)