Stanpart vs Repro

Can someone please tell me what the physical difference is between stanpart and repro front and rear wings on a TR4 or 5.

I know people talk about poor fit of repros, but how do you tell the difference if a wing was for sale at a show.

Many thanks.

Can someone please tell me what the physical difference is between stanpart and repro front and rear wings on a TR4 or 5.

I know people talk about poor fit of repros, but how do you tell the difference if a wing was for sale at a show.

Many thanks.

Bit difficult if you are unfamiliar but essentially they are narrower across the centre of the arch. If you measure from top fold to the arch lip and keep the tape close to the panel it is much shorter measurement.

Stuart.

Many thanks.

Sharpness of the folds and swages, fit to the b post/door, Shape to the rear lamp, length, as mentioned before, from wheel arch vertically to the deck, overall length and so on.

Just be very pleased tho something is available or you'd be in the hand made, 2 grand a go market. Specific fitment for your car only.

Peter W

• 4 weeks later...

Unless they have changed recently, the problem area is the profile above the swage line at the rear of the front wing.

If you hold the wing level with the leading edge of the door, ie the place where the door and wing need to match, they don't. There dosnt appear to be enough metal used to give the correct length of curve.

Also when fitted you cannot move the wing back far enough to give an acceptable door gap.

A solution is to cut a slit and insert more metal to enable you to panel beat the correct radius and to add on metal to the rear of the wing to get the door gap.

This is a skilled job, it costs and filler is usually required at the end of the job. Best bet is to buy some 2nd hand wings which have been repaired, or fit fibreglass wings and describe the car as a "lightweight" if asked.

• 2 weeks later...