Lucas Ignition Barrel Change.

Ok, At the risk of looking very stupid I need some advise how to get the new barrel into and locked in the switch.

I know there is a spring loaded plunger that must be depressed but I got podgy fingers. Thought about using very thin feeler guage blad to assist to keep the pin down till it enters the barrel hole.

Any suggestions (clean ones) please.

Checked the usual sources and cannot fing it on the net.

How do you get the ones from the door handles out. Do you have to file the pressed lobes of the square drive to access the pin?

Feeling a bit thick but any help appreciated.

Normally slides in easy ( WITH THE KEY IN THE BARREL ) to align the levers . But make sure the pin is aligned with the hole in the casing , It will go 180 degrees out then its in for good unless you drill a new hole.

Edited by MikeTR-6

Sorted now,

For those that might need to do this at any time.

On the original barrel there is a very fine brass coller which must be set to hold the pin down when you push it into position.As you push it in it bottoms out and the pin releases hold the barrel in place. The difficulty when doing this at a later stage is that it is impossible to see down the hole. It does not come out with the old barrel but is held in by the grease suction. Once this is removed the new barrel will slip in relatively easily.

It is not obvious because the "NEW" replacement does not have it and the original does not fit over the end of the new barrel in any case. Do not file the replacement to fit the coller as it may end up with a sloppy fit.

I only found this out whilst trying to work out how the pin could be held in and thought of a similar solution with a fine feeler guage blade.

Cheers

Rod

"How do you get the ones from the door handles out. Do you have to file the pressed lobes of the square drive to access the pin?"

Yes file the swaged in lobes and remove the cover to get at the cross locking pin.

Re swage after with a blunt chisel to retain the handle in the escutcheon.

Peter W