mx5 seats for a tr6

Hi , I want to replace thje seats in my tr6 with more comfort in mind. Ihave read that you can replace them with seats from a Mazda mrx5 and have to use the Mazda runners as well. Will all seats from all of the different marks fit? I have seen photos of them with built in headrests which would indicate they were off the nark 2 or 3, is this correct. I understand that you have to purchase adapters but again will these adapters fit all the differnt marks

Hi , I want to replace thje seats in my tr6 with more comfort in mind. Ihave read that you can replace them with seats from a Mazda mrx5 and have to use the Mazda runners as well. Will all seats from all of the different marks fit? I have seen photos of them with built in headrests which would indicate they were off the nark 2 or 3, is this correct. I understand that you have to purchase adapters but again will these adapters fit all the differnt marks

The MK 1 MX seats have the headrests built in, the MK 2 MX ones have separate head rests and are probably the better ones to go for as you can still use the original tonneau. Dont know much about the MK3 versions but the others all fit the adaptor brackets so you can still use the original floor captives. Well worth the change. :)

Stuart.

Andy,

I have recently got a set and am very pleased with them.

Seats came from Paul Bishop in Winchester, totaly remanufactured. 425 quid or there abouts. Heres his email pbuapp@googlemail.com

E bay

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/pbuapp/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

He will suply separate or all in one.

Brackets from Simon (Smeggie) on the forum. Top Man.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Andy.

The MX-5 seats were also fitted within the less known european version "EUNOS" - whick generally had the 1-piece "high backs" seats, in either cloth or leather.

I have fitted a set of leather dark wine / burgundy coloured seats to my TR6 (got them of ebay for approx £350 the pair - in good overall condition), I personally believe these seats give better overall comfort than the originals, plus they hold you in better when using the power a bit on the twisty bits.

I found these seats to be a reasonably easy fit (once you have carefully ground / cut off the original "location pegs" fitted to the seat runners, give yourself a nice weekend / long full day to fit them (plenty of tea / coffee rests) - to recheck / remeasure brackets etc, - best to measure 3 - 4 times and only drill once, and do not assume drivers and passanger sides for fixings are identical / mirror image (been there trying to be clever).

once you have them fitted, you will be impressed with the comfort level and better driver feel of you and the car, especially on longer journeys.

anyway - go ahead and get some, remember you can always go back to original seats if you really need to - as long as you stock to using the original floor pan fixing locations.

Pat

I chose the separate-headrest version, as they look more 'period'.

The seat bases are just slightly higher than the original TR seats, this may be an issue if you are tall. I'm only 6'0" but even an extra inch of seat height can put you in the windblast and peering under the screen at traffic lights.

Not familiar with Simon's brackets - I got mine from TR Trader. He does two heights - flat to floor, used by me on driver's side, and 1" elevated, appreciated by t'other half.

The MX5 seat runners are retained, they may need a bit of cutting, filing, straightening where they bend down at the back.

The fourth pic below is of the elevated adaptors. Also some of my mods to the seat runners where I cut the rear fillet (last pic is of runner before cutting) to straighten it. Despite adding no reinforcement it hasn't bent in three years.

With the flat-to-floor adaptors one has to cut off the locating pins below the MX5 runners; with the 1" elevated, one doesn't.

The driver's side seat needs fitting with great care. Too near the centre of the car and it will hit the trans tunnel on forward movement, if this matters to you.

Too near the offside and it will hit the B post on rearward movement, and make it hard to retrieve the inertia belt from behind you.

A worthwhile mod.

I bought covers for mine from an eBayer who makes MX5 covers, fitted them myself. We had issues about colour match, eventually I sent him some material supplied by Moto-Build which was said to be from the same roll as my new trim of some months previously, as you can see hmmmm, but it has toned down. The covers aren't as good as a pro retrim, it's hard to get a tight fit, or perhaps that was just me.

For a black interior, the standard cloth seats are fine.

See below the old n new seats - the height difference is hard to see.

If your car is an early one and otherwise original it may be worth putting the original seats in the attic in case you ever sell it. After all some people do find the original seats more comfortable.

Ivor

Justfitted.jpg

Slopes.jpg

Oldnnew.jpg

MX5seatbrackets.jpg

Webcutaway.jpg

Webtobecut.jpg

Edited by 88V8