Guys

If anyone is interested I have an original photo of the 3 Sebring TR3's (SRW 992, SRW 991 and SRW 410) outside of the Allesley Factory. This photo was taken by my Father (Roy Smith) who at that time was Chief Test Driver for Standard Triumph. The Guy on the left is my Uncle (Allan Smith). Can anyone Identify the other two?

tr3s-2resized.jpg

Let me know if you would like a .jpg

There are also more TR related photos etc in my posession.

Best

Barry

Edited by bullstreetboy

Definately looks like Ken Richardson in the middle.

In the TRR archive there is a similar photo of him wearing a suit, but sitting on the bonnet of Liege-Rome-Liege Rally TR3A, WDU712.

I wonder if the chap on the right is works mechanic Dave Gleed, if indeed he was with S-T back in the TR3 days.

Regards,

Viv.

Hi Barry,

If you have any photos of TR3 reg VYD797 I would be very interested.

This car was one of the five 'Coupe des alpes TR3s mentiond in the Classic Cars article.

I discovered it in 1991 when I followed up an ad in 'Exchange and Mart'. It turned out it was actually being advertised for sale by TRGB - but it had lost its original registration and TRGB hadn't realised this.

The car was complete and very original with its original engine (which started first time), GT door handles etc.

Overall it was a basket case having been well used and subsequently stored (probably in a barn) for many years. whilst complete it was far from roadworthy. Over the next 5 years the car was fully rebuilt, the body being restored by Classic Car Restorations and Repair of Salisbury during Peter Marks time.

The authenticity of the car has been verified by Bill Piggott and a few years ago thanks to his help I was able to get the original rgistration back from the DVLA.

The car was crewed on the 1956 Alpine Rally by Leslie Griffiths and Norman Blockley, well known rallyists of the period.

If the article in Classic Cars is correct and SRW 992 is the sole remaining Works TR3 from the '56 Alpine Rally, this probably means VYD 797 is the second and probably last surviving vehicle from this historic rally.

I'm surprised, that no mention was made in the article of VYD 797 and the other privateer that made up the victorious 5. Indeed, at the recent display of Works cars at Malvern I was asked to bring the car but was not invited to display it even though the question was asked at the time. Seems a shame given the enormity of the achievement that these cars were not displayed as a group, especially with the difficulty in bringing these cars together.

Anyway, rant over!

I do have a number of period photos of VYD 797 but if anyone has any I'd be very interested.

JEFFR

post-262-060512600 1283963505_thumb.jpg

post-262-060512600 1283963505_thumb.jpg

Barry - have you sent the photo to TR2/3/3A Registrar, Mike Ellis (e-mail address in TR Action) and the Office (f.a.o. Bob Rowland)? It's important that we preserve as much material as possible.

Jeff (re VYD797) - in the early days, Richardson was happy to have many privateers alongside the Works cars so that TRs would gather lots of pots for team entries. Which means that there were many private entry cars alongside the Works cars - see Frédéric Reydellet's books, in which he lists ALL the entires and their results. Indeed, in the Dundrod TT of 1954, the 6 privately-entered TRs came 5th to 10th, winning BOTH Team Prizes! We decided that our theme for the International was to be "The Works Triumphs", which, in theory, meant we might get 34 TRs - but we knew that some were too far away (USA, for example). We had 19 acceptances and 18 TRs on the day (one of Neil Fender's two cars blew a head gasket at Silverstone on the Friday, so couldn't get there). I'm sorry if you were upset, but hope that you had the pleasure of seeing these ex-Works cars, their pilots, mechanics and team management. To be honest, I don't think we could have got through the programme had we opened to cars driven by privateers, important as they were. However, it's an idea for another occasion, perhaps. The Press Release, issued by Ian Brown immediately after the event, seems to have been included in every classic car magazine and newspaper which I have seen so far - good publicity for the TR Register. And I thought the cover of TR Action was stunning!

Ian Cornish

I see Houtkamps in Holland still have works 1956 Mille Miglia TR3 SHP520 for sale.

It's a beige with red hardtop car, which may be the same as SRW410 above, although it's hard to tell from a B & W photo.

Apparently the car is still matching number and retains its original registration. An interesting claim is that it was the prototype for the fitment of front disc brakes, and the GT door handle kit.

Euro price quoted is POA, which I suppose is code for a bucket full.

Regards,

Viv.

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your comments about the display of privateers - much appeciated. I understand there were lots entered and won prizes in various rallies. It just didn't feel right having an almost equally historic car at the show with absolutely no recognition for it. Your idea of maybe having some sort of display to recognise their achievements would be great.

Best regards,

JEFF

I see Houtkamps in Holland still have works 1956 Mille Miglia TR3 SHP520 for sale.

It's a beige with red hardtop car, which may be the same as SRW410 above, although it's hard to tell from a B & W photo.

Apparently the car is still matching number and retains its original registration. An interesting claim is that it was the prototype for the fitment of front disc brakes, and the GT door handle kit.

Euro price quoted is POA, which I suppose is code for a bucket full.

Regards,

Viv.

Last year, a price was mentioned. Over 100K euros.

Menno

Jeff - I'll discuss this with Mike Ellis and Merve Parkes. With 2011 being the celebration of the TR4's birth, we may be looking to 2012 or 2014 as suitable dates. The important thing is to have a good theme for special displays, for that attracts people to make the effort - that's how we encouraged Bob West and Ken Wakefield to get their cars to Malvern this year!

Ian Cornish

Thanks for the first pic of the 3 cars destined for Sebring. Using it as my wallpaper now.

Question, when I look at the center of the leading edge of the bonnet (hood) I see a darker arrow looking shape. What is that? A bonnet latch?

Thanks again,

Eric

• 1 year later...

Guys

I think you are right with Ken Richardson and Yes the bonnet addition looks like a strap on my high res image.

The first car I "drove" was a TR2, sitting on my Father's lap on a journey to see Grandparents in Berkswell, just outside of Coventry. I am now the proud owner of a 1961 TR3A, which was stripped for a respray in 1986 (completed, along with all new leather trim) but never put back together. I aquired it in 2009, and it went back on the road in 2010. I can now reach the peddles and drive it as intended!

Incidentaly Father was also on the team "Turn left for Tangies" in 1958. I have the original post trip report and the journey daily log.

If anyone is in Devon and would like to browse the history and photo's please drop in. I'm contactable via the TR Register.

Edited by bullstreetboy
  • 9 months later...

Hi Barry

I appreciate this discussion started some time ago, however I would love to know if you have any info/ pictures with respect to VHP529 Ken Richardsons first Apple Green TR3A. Built in Nov 1957 it was used on the Monte Recce late that year.

I have owned this car for many years and I have known previous owners back to the mid 60's.

Regards

Iain

Oh yes, Uncle Ken in the middle for sure...a well known photo and one I've used in my books....nice to know at last who one of the others is...still can't identify who the bloke is on the right...certainly not Dave Gleed....could it be comp works foreman(?) Ben Warwick, who died about 7 years ago? Anyone know what he looked like? He expired just before I was able to interview him but I did get a letter from him when I owned 992....as to the Houtkamp car SHP 520....yes, it was indeed the prototype car for disc brakes and still had its original works engine in it when after a lot of detective work I found it totally rotted in a back garden in Norwich circa 1996 , where it had lain for at least 25 years under an apple tree...we had to smash the rear brake drums to bits prior to getting it to roll, for the handbrake had been hard on for all those 25 plus years ! If you look back in your TRactions at the time, you'll see I advertised it for sale within the club but , hard to believe now, no one in the UK was interested so it went abroad, where it's been ever since...pity I couldn't have afforded to have it restored myself....ah, hindsight ......Bill P

Oh yes, Uncle Ken in the middle for sure...a well known photo and one I've used in my books....nice to know at last who one of the others is...still can't identify who the bloke is on the right...certainly not Dave Gleed....could it be comp works foreman(?) Ben Warwick, who died about 7 years ago? Anyone know what he looked like? He expired just before I was able to interview him but I did get a letter from him when I owned 992....as to the Houtkamp car SHP 520....yes, it was indeed the prototype car for disc brakes and still had its original works engine in it when after a lot of detective work I found it totally rotted in a back garden in Norwich circa 1996 , where it had lain for at least 25 years under an apple tree...we had to smash the rear brake drums to bits prior to getting it to roll, for the handbrake had been hard on for all those 25 plus years ! If you look back in your TRactions at the time, you'll see I advertised it for sale within the club but , hard to believe now, no one in the UK was interested so it went abroad, where it's been ever since...pity I couldn't have afforded to have it restored myself....ah, hindsight ......Bill P

The 'Houtkamp car' as you call it, is displayed on nearly all Dutch TR Club meetings. I don't know the owners personally. Perhaps Raymond knows more.

Menno

Hi

It always surprises me when people comment on this photograph, that no one mentions the poor guys with their arms outstretched holding up the large banner in the rear of the shot. :-)

Perhaps one of these is Dave Gleed?

Kind regards

Andrew

I would love copies of any such images by whatever form. Just love the team photos.

Tom

Wouldn't we all but, as Bill Piggott will surely confirm, getting copies from the BMIHT at Gaydon is dfifficult, not least because they still charge professional researchers insanely high reproduction fees

• 1 year later...