TR 7 headlamps help!

The headlamps on our TR7 have ceased to work, ie they won't rise electrically. It's a pain having to wind 'em up manually, especially in the dark and cold. So far, investigations into possible causes have drawn a blank.

I believe there was an in depth article on how to fault find in a TR Action; can anyone confirm this, and tell me which number if so?

Ta!

Ev

Do the lights go on?

if not my first call would be the fuse

If not the light switch (take out and clean inside with Electra clean or WD40 )( watch the springs)

also clean the earths and connectors in the engine bay behind each light

If not ask an auto electrician as I never have to go by that stage ..... :blink:

Edited by stevie-a

The headlamps on our TR7 have ceased to work, ie they won't rise electrically. It's a pain having to wind 'em up manually, especially in the dark and cold. So far, investigations into possible causes have drawn a blank.

I believe there was an in depth article on how to fault find in a TR Action; can anyone confirm this, and tell me which number if so?

Ta!

Ev

If you've got the Technicalities CD there is an article reproduced on there... from TR Actions 155 & 156.

Hi Cooks,

The info every body else has given is still good - keeping the earths and the wire connectors clean and covered in something like vaseline is very important in order to keep our lights going.

When replacing the switch the only things to add would be to:- make sure all of the little copper connectors "make" with the switch otherwise they have been known to push out of the socket..

other than that keep your original switch and have a good go at cleaning it up (the can be stripped down without too many problems (just watch where the little springs etc get to), Its always worth having a spare switch with you.

We all have loads of experience with the lights so dont be afraid to ask.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by TR8IAN

Thanks! Spare switch has arrived so expect tomorrow will be spent on trying to fix. Sigh. Early TRs are not this complex... Then I think the Sprint engine is going to be re-done over the winter, I blame the Lakes Tour. Too many folk saying that more BHP can be got out of it... himself has the red mist I fear.

Indeed! You were absolutely correct! And having bought another second hand realised had one already on a spare wiring loom!

Struth. Far far more complicated stuff than early cars...

Had a drive through Cumbria this afternon, top down and raining at times but great fun. New uprated suspension tested a bit on windy lanes. B) Plans for another tweak at the Sprint engine being formulated...

Any thoughts welcome.