Hi All,

The heater/demister assembly in my TR is not of the common Smiths type as described in the Workshop Manual. When I acquired the car, the fan was hitting the heater housing and very noisy. When removed and inspected it was found that the motor mount bolts had loosened, allowing the motor to drop and the fan to foul the housing.

The heater is of Clayton manufacture, a company in Coventry, U.K. Installation is very neat and appears to use the Smith type brackets and the common rotary switch.

The car was imported into Australia some years back from the U.S.A. and my guess is the heater may have been an after-market fitment at some stage in America.

THis is the only heater of this type that I have seen and I am curious to know if it is common in the U.K. and Europe.

Cheers,

John

Yes, I rebuilt my Smiths heater using the Clayton core. Reasoning that should the original type burst it is a Real ba**ache to get it out whilst recovering from scolding water burns to your legs.

The price direct was substantially cheaper than anywhere else and there are guides to restoration of the entire heater. Beware the Holden replacement fan as it does not fit since the shaft is about 3/4 inch too short.

As it was built for me specially I got them to put 90 degree elbows on the outlet/inlet connections which should make life a lot easier to get the hoses on tight. It is visually not a direct replacement but is more efficient than the original and visually OK. So far have left it copper finish and may spray varnish to keep the copper rather than paint it and lose the radiated heat by painting.

The clayton core fits the original frame without any problems.

If you need more info drop a PM.

Rod