Did you feel sad at this stage?

OK.. progress but no photo's... I'll take one tomorrow...

The passenger side front suspension is completely off and lying on the floor... the drivers side is under way, the stiffening tube in front of the engine has beed removed as has the Kenlow (grrr...) fan.

Sunday will see the engine and gear box lifted off (I hope) and Monday afternoon will see the engine, carbs and manifold delivered to Jigsaw Racing (Near Rockingham Circuit) where it's going to be re-built to Stage 2.  That should leave only a few odds and sodds to come off before the chassis can go for shot blasting.

Talking of the chassis, everything is still looking good, no corrosion has been found... :) (fingers crossed)

Clive

i wish you luck with your rustless chassis.

Take care of the lower range of welds: if you think of the frame beeing made of two u-shape pieces welded together and then putting water into it: the lower weld will soak  the water and as a result will rust. In my case there where some areas rusted, but cuased by a slight dent in the front of the chassis frame: oneday the car probably hit ground here: so then  there was the chance for water to come easily into this part of the frame.

I guess the frame actually will rust from the inside, so take a hammer and listen for the knock or feel if the material is still elastic.

Good luck !

j...

my car was re-built 15 years ago + or - 3... the body was bodged (I think) as there is a lot of filler in it.. Ask NDM... but the chassis, even after more stripping tonight, still seems very good... where the black paint is peeling off, or even where I'm scraping it off, there is green hamerite under it.  Where the green hamerite is gone, say the front suspension mounting pints, there is a coating of surface rust, but the actual framework looks to be solid.  I have to admit that my fingers are very crossed...

anyway, as an asside, almost, here is a picture, at an unusual angle, of the suspension supports to the front passenger (right hand drive car) upper suspension mounting point... note the said green hamerite...

tr2_susp.jpg

The engine mountings have now been undone, as has the gear box ones, the exhaust and any other things connecting the engine to the chassis, so it's ready to lift into my 4x4 or Sunday.  That means that tomorrow night and any time I might not be laying the bedroom carpet on Saturday should just be undoing the drivers side suspension, then it's shot blasters and truth or consequences time for the chassis!

Fingers crossed!

Well, an hour and a half labouring tonight has seen the drivers side front brake drum and back plate removed, the hub as well, and all but one of the nuts loosened off.  The brake drum was last removed (Aledgedly) by A***s**e Vehicle Repairs in W~@&$* U%*& E£g$, Glos.at the begining of the year (about two days before the photo's were taken of the TR2 and Wendy's TR7 for the front cover of "Classics" magazine... and is one of only two screws and 5 bolts I have either had to grind off or drill out or sheered off on the whole car... personally, I don't think it had been removed this year at all, and I know I got it off easily myself at the begining of last year!

I ran out of energy at this point, and have left the rest of the drivers front suspension for tomorrow AFTER I've laid the bedroom carpet.  After that it's a case of lifting the already undone engine and gear box off, and ridding the chassis of the exhaust and a few brake pipe connections.  I hope that the brake pipe connections are not "on back order" or "not in production" as they won't budge and I can see my angle grinder earning it's keep removing them!

Yo Clive

I'm off to pick up my finished body shell on Monday from Nottingham!

I hear from Mark that you'll be dropping off your engine in the afternoon, so I should see you there mate.  You can see what state my TR2 is in now.  A bit different to when we cruised down to Clacton with Tony in his TR6!

See ya, Caz.

Well, my 4x4 is now twin engined... an isuzu one in the front and a Standard Motor Company one in the back!

Thanks to Andy (Maddog) for the help getting it from A to B so to speak.  I'm pleased that Vauxhall (Isuzu) put in some anchor points in the rear of the truck because I don't fancy that weight sliding forward during the drive tomorrow!  ( Have you seen how steep the hills are around here? )

:0

Here is the picture of the chassis minus the engine that I took today just after we lifted the engine out...

tr2noengine.jpg

The drivers side suspension is still there though most of the fixings are loosened off... I guess that's classed as a delay because I'd hoped it would be off by now.  Soon though, very soon...

Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll be able to post some pictures of parts begining to go back on... and m,ybe tidy that garage floor up a bit!  Most of my tools need cleaning up as well, I can't believe how much oil and grease there was around the place!  I should have bought shares in laytex the amount of gloves I've gone through!

Well... crack open the champagne... the last bolt is undone, the last washer has fallen off... the last nut has been prised out of my impact driver (they don't half get stuck in there sometimes) and the last drop of blood has been shed over my TR2 stripdown... well, except the exhaust which whilst undone does not seem to want to separate...

So now I have to get the chassis shot blasted and then I'll really know if I'm a lucky bloke on that score... and begin cleaning up suspension parts.

I already have all the new suspension in the loft/filing cabinet and I thought the first new part had arrived from MOSS yesterday... a front anti roll bar, but when I opened the box, which displayed the correct part number, I found that the bar supplied had fastenings suitable only for the TR3a and TR4, not the ones for the TR2... MOSS have assured me they will sort this out... I'll keep you posted!  If not I'll haveto ring A N Other supplier.

The bulk of my parts are coming from TR Bitz who gave the best quote ( some suppliers didn't even bother! ) and they say they have assembled most of my order and are just waiting on a few parts.

North Devon Metalcraft have confirmed that the body re-build is going to plan and Jigsaw Racing have given me a date of "mid-october" for the return of my engine completed to sage 2.

Adrian Sidwell has completed my instrument refurbishment and I am expecting them in the post as soon as I pay him ( tomorrow if I can find my cheque book! )

Rayston Radiators have said that my radiator will be ready for collection on Saturday...

Grief... are things starting to come together?  Well... sort of, but I need to tidy the garage floor of nuts, washers, bolts. tools and dirt first!

Clive,

Just a note to say thanks for your fascinating rebuild "diary".

I am planning to rebuild my TR2 over the winter and I am scared!!!Your comments and photos have really encouraged me ..thank you.

I look forward to the continuing story.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Regards

Roger

Ps I also own a Landie(Series 2a)

Thanks Roger... it is a daunting task... and the hard part they tell me is yet to come... although with a full set of new nuts and bolts and many new parts I'm hoping it goes back together easily (OK, laugh loud and long at that comment and watch this space)

I have realised that the key is know your limits and only try things you are confident with... farm out the stuff you know you can't do, and be willing (in the case of shot blasting the chassis in my case) to farm out the stuff that you maybe could do, but someone else can do better and quicker.  

On that note, chassis goes to shot blasters at 7:00am on Tuesday 23rd Sept 2003.

The other godsend that I had, and I had to pay foir it, was a bloody good compressor and a good compressed air impact driver.  Without them I'd still be undoing the body mounting bolts!  I also have a shot blast cabinet and parts washer for the smaller parts, so hopefully will be able to do them quickly, easily and cheaply myself.

Watch this space as they say.

On the saga of the Moss anti roll bar, they now inform me that you have to fit it to the rally type sump shield... not a problem as I was considering it anyway, but it's out of stock untill the end of the month.  They have assured me that they will give me a good price on because of the delay and because their catalogue and sales person failed to point this little fact out to me when I ordered it!  For anyone considering the anti roll bar option I believe I'm right in saying tht the Revington one fits to the chassis...  and they also do a rear anti roll bar... has anyone any experiance of it?

:blues:

Well, Moss have confirmed a good discount on the rally sump shield, and also offerd a discount on the radiator guard which is missing from my car and a rear anti roll bar... I've decided to go with the rear roll bar as my curiosity is killing me as to it's usefulness... so I'll let you know in about a year (or hopefully less)

Chassis is now in the back of my 4x4!  Well, some of it is, and the rest is hanging out the back with a lighting board on it!

The radiator was collected on Saturday and looks good, and Wendy and I visited the Haynes Motor Museum afterwards...  

tr2305cmgink30cmg.jpg

That's my TR2's chassis arriving at QS Enamellers in Nailsworth thismorning...

tr2chassisatqs.jpg

and that's it on the floor...

The place has a tentative link with some triumph History... do you remember a driver called Gatenside (Belgium TR Driver... sorry if I spelt it wrong), well he invented something in every day use in the UK... and... well, shotblasting and finishing that invention is part of their game...  Answers on a post card please... but I hope one never "snaps" my TR2!

Well, I went to pick up my chassis today, shot blasted and zinc primed... and so far it looks good...

tr2primedchassis.jpg

with the only bit of welding needed (that we can see) being the split body mounting plate that I discovered while I was cleaning the chassis up...

tr2weldneeded.jpg

I  hope that a closer inspection on Saturday and Sunday do not reveal any more, but the shot blasters themselves thought that it was the only bit needing attention... fingers crossed

Drawing on advice from a few sources, and my own experience from an old hobby... I went off today and bought a paint system designed to protect steel hulls from the rigours of constant contact with salt water... and that's what the chassis and other bits and pieces are being finished in... managed to resist the yellow and bought the black paint though!

Thanks Malcom, but i have already bought the paint... it's the type for steel hulls and designed to combat salt water so I guess it'll have to do.  The old job, which was based on an undercoat of hamerite seems to have done pretty well...

Anyway, on the sub ject of paint, i have to announce that tonight the first drops of new paint applied by me were applied to two parts of the rear suspension.  I'd just washed them in Gunk, wire brushed them and finished them off with a spell in my shot blast cabinet!

tr2afterbefore.jpg

Here is one of the parts before shot blasting (right hand side) and one of the parts after shotblasting (left hand side).  I'd have taken a photo of them painted but I doubt if you could tell the difference as the paint is the same colour as the bare metal... so similar it was hard to tell where I'd coated and where I hadn't...

I've also primed the new body mounting plate and other little bits we disturbed ont he chassis. And to conclude this section here is both parts as they've left the shotblaster.  

tr2afterafter.jpg

NDM have confirmed a small delay today ( YEA! YEA! YEA! ) which helps me a bit, and eventually Racetorations have contacted me to say my Starter motor will be in the post tomorrow!

Clive, This is fascinating but can I suggest you start a new Chapter 2 thread so we dont have to download and scroll through so much each time.

Ian :D

Clive, This is fascinating but can I suggest you start a new Chapter 2 thread so we dont have to download and scroll through so much each time.

Ian :D

I don't think I need to, perhaps Webby can advise, but I'm sure that you can access it the same way that I do, which is by clicking on the last page number in the topic on the tr2 forum front page rather than just the topic... even once in the topic you can jump to the last page easily.

The programme slips some more...

I've been ill all week (2nd cold in 3 months) so not a lot has been done... although today I managed to sand blast the brace that runs between the turrets accross the front of the engine, and get the two rear suspension parts pictured above to second coat stage...

There are 4 or 5 pieces of front suspension soaking in gunk as we speak, maybe they will get the blast later on if I get enough energy.

The main "Bag of Parts" have <b>not yet</b> arrived from TR Bitz... every time I ring up it's the same thing, we're short on a few parts... etc... etc...  I first faxed the list for pricing before I went to the States and confirmed I wanted the parts when I came back... I know some of the parts may be on back order... but it's going to take more than one package anyway (it includes a rear axle complete with everything already on it! ) so please TR Bitz.... send them out soon!  Even if I am a week from hanging them off the chassis they are going to take some sorting! (I also need to send the fan, balance etc to Jigsaw Racing)

Meanwhile the parts from Moss have arrived, except the sump shield and a couple of other small items... problem is, I can't fit them untill the suspension is in place... see above and untill the sump shield is on!

Also, my starter motor arrived from Racetorations... at about the same time as I was begining to suffer from the cold!

Sods law applies... HUH!

• 2 weeks later...

Jean,

I'm afraid that the cold turned into a sinus infection and has put nme out of action for two weeks!  

In any case TR Bitz have still not managed to send me any parts!  :angry: