Did you feel sad at this stage?

Well, I'm at the point of no return.  The shell is booked into NDM and I've even got around to arranging the paint job at SW Classics for when I get it back... but right now I've got a delapidated body shell, with a box of bits next to it, sat on a chassis that I think is probibly "alright" but requires minor (I hope...) work, and a further supply of new bits like suspension either sat in a filing cabinet or resting in the loft... and that's not to mention the interior trim in it's temporary home... the back of my 4x4!

Work is progressing well... the parts are coming off easily with so far only one screw / nut combination having to get the Black and Decker treatment (would you believe a rear left hand side light that I only put new seals on two years ago! )

The only bits I know I'll have to replace, so far, are the bits I expected, like rubber seals and screws, but I still feel a bit sad.

The car was re-built about .. well, over 15 years ago before I bought her as my first ever classic car (although maybe my first car would be classed as a classic by now), and some panels have been patched rather than replaced... it did few miles and then along came me... 7000 in the first year, at least 5000 the second then well, I think about 5000 a year... and even a spin off at Castle Combe Circuit.. it was even driven to and enjoyed at the International this year as well as going to Jabbekke for the 50 year celebrations... (see the photo's elswhere) and here is what it looks like now... and it's a bit unclear in the photo... but there is no interior left except the dashboard!

!sadtr2.jpg

I prey I have the will power to keep going... even though by many peoples standards I'm cheating by having the bodywork sorted profesionally...

So come on, what words of encouragement can you seasoned TR re-builders offer.. and I don't want to hear "Don't do it!"

No need to be sad Clive - just dream of that wonderful day it comes back from the paint shop looking resplendent and you can just polish it man - polish it.     Ps i'm sending you a toothbrush - it may help to tease those stubborn nuts off!!!!!!!!

Seriously though - Keep us posted on progress and good luck - Regards Jim T

No need to be sad Clive - just dream of that wonderful day it comes back from the paint shop looking resplendent and you can just polish it man - polish it.     Ps i'm sending you a toothbrush - it may help to tease those stubborn nuts off!!!!!!!!

Seriously though - Keep us posted on progress and good luck - Regards Jim T

Thanks Jet... tooth brushes round here tend to be used for brushing teeth... then when they get worn for that they go to Emma to brush her Rats... maybe I'll be lucky and get it third hand?

You've certainly passed the point of no return Clive, but please ignore the suggestions of those who assume you will only polish it when completed. As you've told many people yourself,..........Drive it man, drive it! :) and I know you will. I look forward to regular reports of progress.

Hope it all goes smoothly.     Les.

I don't think there's much chance of driving it for a while...

tr2nodash.jpg

This is the latest photo worth posting, although a number of the parts you can see here are now detatched...

All the chassis mounting bolts are undone forward of the bulkhead but the ones on the floor pan are proving awkward and I'm probibly going to have to get the grinder out.  (My compressed air impact driver is just jumping off! )  We (Andy... the poster formally known as Maddog has been helping me today) decided not to do this today as getting the fuel tank out had not been a totally easy dry experience... sparks... petrol... no thanks!

We found a few interesting patch pannels, one of which appeared to be stuck on with double sided sticky tape and a bit of sealer!

The point of no return was two days ago!

At this rate I'm hoping to have the body released from the chassis by the weekend and can hopefully take it to NDM on Saturday.  Famous last words???  I'll keep you posted!

Clive

you are doin' good, just keep plugging away and if anything becomes a bit stubborn, take 5 and put the kettle on...... this usually worked for me. If all else fails get a bigger hammer  :P

keep us posted with progress, i have been there, its good to talk (read- force uppon fellow TRers)

Keep it up

regards

Phil ;)

Thanks to everyone for all the encoragement I'm getting, both from the posts here and from quite a few e-mails.

Something i was wondering... if you look at the last picture, is that hole in the panel just infront of the door that looks like a speaker mounting point something that should be there, was there on a later car or is just an expertly cut amature addition?

I can't find a picture of the (offending) panel in the Moss catalogue.  Tho oposite (passenger) side has a sort of rectangular recess there instead.

Any ideas?

Hi Clive,

keep your head up ! I was inthat stage sometime in the last millenium.. then moved twice, restored  a house and now got back to work on the TR this year finally.  Sometimes i was sitting there between all the parts  and thought of a time when i will have time to do anything.  Now i still have to explain how this big puzzle may look someday, i usually take my 1:18 Kyosho modell then, that helps a lot.

Get down to the ground, sort out all  things that may have went wrong the last 50 years ( and during  construction) and NEVER GIVE UP HOPE !

Most of the TRs have been restored , the extend may differ, but there are a lot of frame-offs and i'm quite sure most of the cars can be "reanimated".

I may take more (money, time, nerves, patience, beer,...) you expect, but i will work.

(OK, that was part of my self- motivation- speech.. ;) )

Regarding your speaker hole: I have the same: For me it seems professional made. I think there were somecars equipped with this pressing as preparation for radio, baout 17cm/ 7" diameter with 4 cutouts. It is appox. 6"-8" above the floor pan.

Outside above this is a piece of angled sheet metal (sorry, didn't get the right word): Like on the roof of a house it collects the water coming through the gap between front wing and body and lets it drip to the ground in front of the speaker. Above this is a small (below 1") hole, probably to feed the antenna cable from the front wing behind the dashbord.

They used just one speaker on their old mono- radios!

On the left side you need this rectangular shape to have more space for the feet if it is a LHD-car. Then the DIP-switch is mounted there and you have to rest your left foot somewhere  off the clutch. They used the some bodies for LHD and RHD cars, so thats why find this pattern as well.

Mine has the same cutout, (TS7072), so I think it's a standard panel. Remember that when our cars were new any radio fitted would be a simple LW/MW mono system which would have only one speaker.

Keep up the good work.

Les.

Thanks again everyone... I'm amazed that in the cost cutting days of Triumph in the 50's they actually cut this hole in the car (maybe it was the last bit of weight saving for Ken Richardsons record run? )... and the description of what the left hand depression is used for makes sense... I'd just never thought about it at all!

AS I have admitted before, the hard part to me would be body, spray and engine, all of these I'm going to have done for me... at a cost I agree.

I spent a lot of time as a boy playing with lego, and then mechano, hopefully that will help me put it all together again.... meanwhile... the PARTS WANTED list is into it's second A4 page of 12 high characters on a Word Document... but mostly rubber seals, grommets and things you'd expect after 50 years on the road!

For the record my car is a 1954 short door car, TS4953 O.  If anyone spots me doing anything wrong on the body for that commision number, for goodness sake let me know.  

Short Doors came in at TS4002, making mine the 951'st short door car...  (how many of that number where left hookers I don't know) it also SHOULD have a 2 slot bonnet (TS4229 to TS60000), which it has, but shouldn't have a pop up air vent, which it has (at the moment... not once it's finished), these came in at TS 6157... would you belive your commision number also makes the difference to some grommets!  (well, really early cars had a bonnet release like a modern car, the later ones (inc. mine) didn't...!

Yea, I know, you knew it all... so did I, but believe me, now I'm at this stage I'm SAD  (Systematically Accurately Double-checking)

talking of "originality" does anyone out there know what shade of British Racing Green Triumph managed to get hold of in November 1954... I iunderstand it varies!

Clive,

is your vent- flap retrofitted then? It is a complicated pattern, not only a cut-out in the scuttle. If it seems to be original it would keep it. I think all these numbers on points of change are "ca.", as you find in many cases uncertainities. Or there are younger cars, probably test- cars that had it and later cars that didn't. so missing a point of change by some- 100s doesn't mean to much in my opinion.

My car is a similiar case: Old sidescreen- mounts, still with mounting points for race-screens, already  disc- brakes, dust shields.

Does anybody need a set of Strombergs with a late curved flow manifold? ;-)

If the vent is missing, are the two narrow slots behind the windscreen missing too? Thats were the air comes in  and blows on the screen demist it in winter. In that case it would be complicated to install the heater.  

Les and Clive,

if you have the same cut-out: Do you have the same arrangement above this cut-out too I described earlier? That is something you can see looking into an assembled car.

Johannes.

I've taken a look through the speaker hole today and mine does have that 'V' shaped piece fitted, 'though I don't think it's for channeling water as, on mine, it is cut away from directly above the speaker hole to the door post. This would direct any water onto the speaker, if fitted.

Regards, Les.

Clive,

is your vent- flap retrofitted then? It is a complicated pattern, not only a cut-out in the scuttle. If it seems to be original it would keep it. I think all these numbers on points of change are "ca.", as you find in many cases uncertainities. Or there are younger cars, probably test- cars that had it and later cars that didn't. so missing a point of change by some- 100s doesn't mean to much in my opinion.

My car is a similiar case: Old sidescreen- mounts, still with mounting points for race-screens, already  disc- brakes, dust shields.

If the vent is missing, are the two narrow slots behind the windscreen missing too? Thats were the air comes in  and blows on the screen demist it in winter. In that case it would be complicated to install the heater.  

...Do you have the same arrangement above this cut-out too I described earlier? That is something you can see looking into an assembled car.

I reckon the whole skuttle is actually off a later car... my car is Number TS 4953 O, and the vent came in (as you say, nominally) at TS 6157, thats a gap of 1204 cars... so I think it's been fitted as "an improvement" or as "the only one to hand at the time".

If the parts are rare, then I'll be able to sell them to help pay for the re-build  :)

My aeroscreen mounting points are still there, indicating that the scuttle came off a pre TS 32834 car, or was a spare part.

AS far as I was awhere, the demister only had 2 slots on all the models of TR2 (I may be proved wrong), the only "slot" differences being in the bonnet slots, where early cars had 4 slots at the back, and later cars had only two slots.  Some people say that this is so that the air vent takes in clean air, however, the two slot bonnet was fitted earlier (almost 2000 cars) in the production run than the air vent. (TS4229-TS60000 with two slots, dzus fasterners and without raised hinge plinths).

Erm, I hope this helps and I don't seem to much like an anorach on the subject... it's only because I'm doing all the research now, before my TR2 body is shipped off (Saturday) to North Devon Metalcraft.

I have to admit to not having looked above the cut out in the inner footwell pannel... I was more concerned with actually seeing that the body was free tonight.... which it is... so I'm off to get my trailer tomorrow night, and off to Devon with it on Saturday!

Sunday is a day of rest... except Maddog, who's helped me loads with this so far, might need me to help putting his engine back in his TR7... but hey, thats what TR Mates are for!!!!

Well... the body was loosened last night... followed by a dip in the pool (read as dip in overgrown paddling pool) to cool off!

Tonight I tidied my tools away.. where did that 17mm ratchet spanner go???  and then loaded the car on the trailer, so it's all ready to go to North Devon Metalcraft early tomorrow!  I took a few pictures of the car now it's out of the garage, and when you look at the first one, it will look like the car is coming back from the re-spray shop... and they say the camera never lies?

tr2trailer1.jpg

Perhaps the second image is more truthful...

tr2trailer2.jpg

There are a couople of items left on, I couldn't get at the screws holding the grille in place... well, at least, someone has put them on with slotted heads facing the front of the car, hand tightened them, and now the bolts are rusted to the screws, and you can't get in there with a screw driver!  The wiper mounts are still on... and the door/boot/bonnet catches are there, don't want them flying open on the M5!

Anyway, that's the stage it's at... tomorrow I'll (I hope) be able to show you the picture of a rolling chassis.

As prommised... the next stages of my half check book half hard graft re-build!

Here is the body dumped outside North Devon Metalcraft and in the background their unit and infact the three members of one family (father and two sons I think I'm correct in saying) who make up this firm.  What you can't see is the AC Cobra body they are building behind and a mirriad of TR2/3 fuel tanks in production!

tr2body_400.jpg

The bad news on the body was that there is a lot of filler in even the good looking pannels, and that means that a lot of them will have to go the distance!  The good news on the body is the original front apron, bonnet, saddle, door frames and a couple of other bits and bobs will remain original... sort of!

The doubts are... the scuttle is original TR2 (early, with wood bit at the rear edge... ) so... the vent is maybe original (even though the commision numbers say otherwise.. the result is, it's on hold for more research (HELP! )

Now for the other part... the chassis... so far so good, infact, so far a miricle... it looks in very good contition.  Under the peeling underseal is bright green hamerite (remember that TR7 bright green... well, something like that)... with few places back to bare metal. So, it looks like a clean up and re-paint... but we all know how it can turn out in reality.

tr2chassis_400.jpg

Does anybody have any advice on where to go to get a rear axle reconditioned and / or a radiator re-corred (is that the correct termanology? )

Alec,

Contacted them today, and am posting my Radiator to them tommorrow... assuming I can get it off the car after I have had my tea!

Cheers...

P.s.  It came straight off... nuts like new... well, almost, but it certainly undid very easily once I'd managed to get the ratchet onto the socket... the chassis did get in the way of that a bit...

My Instruments are now off to another place, it's begining to feel like the car is spread accross the UK!

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks in the States have kind of interupted the refurbishment, or should I say at this stage strip down?  I've taken the plunge and ordered a reconditioned rear (girling) axle to replace me existing Lockheed one, 9" ali-fins and TR3 front discs and all the stuff that goes with them.  I hadn't realised that this conversion ment changing the hubs and using wire wheel conversion kits....

Anyway, that's the latest, not a lot of progress but I did see a rocket launch and Miucky Mouse!

Clive , Im really impressed how far you have got since Malvern!

Puts me to shame , my six is to be in a similar state of disrepair but other than accumulate a garage full of new panels I havnt started the strip down yet . Having read this , it starts tomorrow morning - I need it back in one piece for next year to defend my wooden spoon crown :D

All the best - keep us posted

Clive , Im really impressed how far you have got since Malvern!

Puts me to shame , my six is to be in a similar state of disrepair but other than accumulate a garage full of new panels I havnt started the strip down yet . Having read this , it starts tomorrow morning - I need it back in one piece for next year to defend my wooden spoon crown :D

All the best - keep us posted

hopefully if you're stripping it and putting it back together you won't be defending the wooden spoon... but also hopefully you won't be entering the sad shed... erm, concourse...

Hi Clive  , Ive done it now , back wings off , rear valance almost off ( dont know how to upload pics ) so work has commenced ! - No No No I will not be in the sad shed , Im afraid I prefer a beer in the evening not polishing my wheel nuts at 9pm before a show .

Good on ya Scotty!  If you e-mail the piccy's to me I'll happily lopad them onto my website and let you know the address so that you can reference them...

Tonight I went for quantity rather than quality... I gave up on the new fangled (to me) front suspension strip down and stuck to something I've had off 3 times before... the rear diff and axle... this came off in one lump as no body was in the way (not even me) and doesn't requre stripping or refurbishing as it's getting totally replaced.

The dampers came off easily as they were only fitted a couple of years ago, and even the springs came off without to much of a problem... one nut had to be ground away, but I'd already ordered a replacement part for that area, and the front mountings for the springs released their burden after gentle persuasion with a hammer... lots of times...

The weekend is another time of rest and the first job on monday is clearing up the mess from tonight!

Piccy's coming soon....

Hi Clive , just in from work , will mail some photos tomorrow ,

Yes I like the hammer too , its the best tool in the box as they say , it removes everything  and if it doesnt it feels real good when you hit something else with it  :D

Weekend off now so hopefully progress will be be made.-(that's only if he gets off his domestic chores -Lox)- wife hijacked keyboard !

Clive,

It sounds as though you are really doing well with your strip down/re-build. I'm very impressed!

Just a thought...what do you plan to do with your Lockheed axle?

For some reason my TR3A has a much earlier lockheed axle which I intend swapping for a Girling one which the previous owner has in bits somewhere. (I'm not holding my breath on that one though).  Unfortunately one of the half shafts went bang last night so I'm on the lookout for a spare pretty quick.

Just wondered....

Dave

Dave,

I was planning on keeping the TR2 axle so that the car can be restored to original specification at a future date.  The axle may (I'm not 100% sure) be making a slight clicking sound, and the last time I heard that it preceeded the planatary gears failing big style.

I have two "spare" orifinal casings, one of which has working planitary gear and the other of which does not... however, I don't have a spare halfshaft, at least I don't recall one, as I gave two away while I was in Essex, the third one had snapped, and I can't recall seeing the fourth recently (it may be inside a casing so I'll check).

If I do find the fourth one, you are welcome to it, however, I recall the fact that my 4 halfshafts had 2 different sized nuts on them, so I'm not sure that all hafshafts are compatable.  I'll let you know if I have it, it might solve your problem for a while while you source a new axle...

Well, as promised...

tr2norearend.jpg

That's the back axle and leaf springs etc gone... exhaust is still there, but not for long!

tr2suspension.jpg

and that's the passenger side front shocker gone, the spring out and all but about 3 nuts loosened off... and that's how she is tonight... tomorrow night is SAX (musical instrument lesson) and Wednesday is either the rest of this sideblown to pieces or the other side brought up to this stage... not sure yet... but I'm sure to let you all know.  

Is this the first re-build diary on the forum?  That wasn't the way the post started out, but after all the requests to keep people informed that's sure the way it's turning out.