Aldon Ignitor

Guest Matty

Guest Matty

Hello,

Can someone tell me which Aldon Ignitor to choose for my 1981 FHC TR7?  There are Delco, Bosch, Ducellier & Lucas.

I thought it was a Lucas dizzy but the man at Aldon said it was a Delco, can someone clarify for me please.

Many thanks,

Matt

Hi Matty

As Malcolm says, your car probably has a Delco unit fitted - my '81 DHC certainly has. Just pop out the heater plenum and all will be revealed.

By the way, I fitted an Aldon Igniter to my car last year, also an Aldon Flamethrower coil. The difference in response and revvability (is there such a word?) was notable and immediate.

Mike

Can someone tell me which Aldon Ignitor to choose for my 1981 FHC TR7?  There are Delco, Bosch, Ducellier & Lucas.

Aldon Ignitor?

Zippo Lighter?

:D

TRishaTR-

Hi - I fitted the Flamethrower some time after the Igniter (in the mistaken belief I could use it to blast MGBs out of my path) Only joking, I really quite like MGBs - wonder what one looks like with the hood down?

Seriously, of the two units I think the coil made the greater difference - but I was advised that they work better in tandem.

Hope that helps

Mike

What's the coil voltage?  On a standard TR7 12v is sent to the coil when starting then a resistor cuts the supply down to 6v for running.  Are you changing this when fitting uprated coils?

Malcolm.

I have to admit, Malcolm, I never gave the pesky ballast wire a thought. The nice man at Aldon said he was sending me a TR& compatible coil, so I just fitted it - and it worked.

Just for the record, my voltmeter shows 11.75 volts across the coil LT terminals with the ignition switched on . Previous (1st) owner of the car made no mention of having deleted ballast wire when I bought the car, but he had an immobiliser wired in - where would I look for the ballast wire to check?

Mike

On two occasions, I fitted a new ballast resistor with the Lucas sports coil, in combination with a Lumenition electronic ignition. The ballast resistor, fitted in series with the coil, got very hot and was smoking after a few seconds. Did someone had any problems with these resistors? I deleted the resistor and the ignition is still working without any problem.