Overdrive switch replacement

Bought new o/d switch but cannot release/install wiring in the sleeve as the steering column clamp bolts are impossible to undo.I cannot get at the top of the bolt heads with a spanner and the nyloc nuts wont undo without locking the bolt from moving. Is it a tacho/speedo out job? The nuts were bad enough until I bought a set of tubular box spanners.
Is it a tacho/speedo out job? The nuts were bad enough until I bought a set of tubular box spanners.

The manual advises to remove the Tacho which should give front access to the upper fixings but I managed to get a spanner on these by removing the seat & lying on my back with my head shoved up underneath the dash, very uncomfortable! The fixings on my 71 car are not self-locking though, just plain & lock washers; the Leyland parts list also confirms this.

Thanks Richard

I think they were probably changed when Enginuity did a dashboard and all column switches replacement for the previous owner, who'd had a vandal attack according to their mega repair bill. The o/d switch I replaced (only 3 years old)had a broken plastic component inside the switch - I hope the Moss replacement lasts longer.

I managed to jury rig it for yesterdays Red rose track day by gaffer tape on the outside of the column and picked up the bullet connectors under the dash. Great to be able to switch in and out rather than permanently on!

After several electric failures I've been told to get rid of all of the old bullet connectors. What is the best to use instead??

Mike

After several electric failures I've been told to get rid of all of the old bullet connectors. What is the best to use instead??

Mike,

I kept all my bullet connectors; I don't see anything wrong with them, they are as good as anything replacement system I can think of &, after all, modern cars still use them today! What I did do was replace all the female rubber covered sleeves, the steel ferrules inside tend to rust over time & this is what causes problems with poor continuity & high resistance. Where the soldered bullets looked tired, I replaced these as well but all the rest I cleaned up with wire wool. Put a smear of Vaseline on the bullet before you push it in, it helps keep a clean electrical connection & makes them easier to get apart again; some of mine had almost welded together over time.