Electronic 3 pin Flasher Relay

So with the continuing problem with all four bulbs going at 100mph, and both the indicators and hazards are doing this, I have ordered two new relays (relatively inexpensive). I have gone for the electronic 3 pin type for the indicators. Is this just a standard change-over with the old one, or will I have to run a wire to ground/earth from this?

I will let you know how the relay(s) change goes, and if this cures the problem.

So with the continuing problem with all four bulbs going at 100mph, and both the indicators and hazards are doing this, I have ordered two new relays (relatively inexpensive). I have gone for the electronic 3 pin type for the indicators. Is this just a standard change-over with the old one, or will I have to run a wire to ground/earth from this?

I will let you know how the relay(s) change goes, and if this cures the problem.

You will need to add a ground wire to the relay as well.

Gary

You will need to add a ground wire to the relay as well.

Gary

Thanks Gary.

Is this just a case of adding the wire to the 3rd (ground) pin then finding a good earth ?

Edited by Inca 7

Inca 7,

That correct and the reason you need this extra connect is the old unit was making and breaking due to a BI-Metal strip heating up and cooling down. The electronic unit makes a even pulse circuit to earth instead.

I would start off with a long earth wire to body and find a good body connection before cutting to size etc.

Edited by tr7jim

The new electronic relay arrived today, so I will have a go on Saturday. I have also bought a new (standard) relay for the hazards. I'm not sure if this will cure my overactive indicators/hazards, but I will also double check all of the contacts in the bulb holders again.

Thanks for the advice all, very much appreciated.

The new electronic relay arrived today, so I will have a go on Saturday. I have also bought a new (standard) relay for the hazards. I'm not sure if this will cure my overactive indicators/hazards, but I will also double check all of the contacts in the bulb holders again.

Thanks for the advice all, very much appreciated.

Ok, does anyone know where the actual relay is situated please? I have changed the hazard relay, and this has cured that side of the problem, but I've been everywhere under the dash, and I can't find the indicator relay!!! Edited by Inca 7

Although the electronic flasher unit is a must in my opinion

Just a thought

I'm not sure if this will cure my overactive indicators/hazards,

All your lights are working as this will cause fast flashers

normally the worn original flasher unit will show problems by giving a slow flash

just a thought

Edited by stevie-a

its usually clipped onto the support under the steering wheel towards rh side as you sit in car

Can you believe, in desperation, after posting the question, I went back out to the car, looked under the dash towards to the right kick panel, and there it was!! Wood for the trees anyone! :lol:

Anyway, all fixed and both indicators and hazards are now fine.