Shim packs for trailing arms

Gooday all

It was a bright sunny day so I decided renew my trailing arm bushes - as you do!  After six hours of neck cramping, back killing exercise I finally got the old arms off.  All looks remarkably good but the inner bracket on the passenger side has only three shims as opposed to all  the others having four.  I have run for eight years like this with excellent roadholding after new springs and shockers.  All tyres are perfect for wear and evenness.  I wonder why and where the reason for the difference arrived. The passenger side wheel looks and sits differently to the driver side when on  the road, but no ill effect is evident in driving etc.  Any ideas?

All I have to do now is put it back together again!

By the way  - It rained five minutes after starting!!!

Guest ron
The passenger side wheel looks and sits differently to the driver side when on  the road, but no ill effect is evident in driving etc.  Any ideas?

This seems to be quite a common phenomina with TR6s, I presume it's due to poor manufacturing tolerances. If the car works fine as it is I would tend to leave well alone ie if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ron

These shims are used to adjust the front/back wheel centres & rear wheel toe in so the number used could vary depending on chassis/ trailing arm/bracket tolerances. If you have differences in the rear L/R wheel camber, this is down to something else – could be worn bushes - even though the look they could have softened over use. It could be that whoever was in there last actually put a bracket back in the wrong place – so again, check.

Wait till you replace everything (don’t forget the rear spring mounting rubbers) & re-check. If they are still different, you need to start checking other things (check the springs are the same length/spring rate while they are off the car). Ultimately, you can adjust individual wheel camber settings by juggling with the 3 types of trailing arm brackets available – Buck Eye website tells you how to do this!

Hi Phil , the set up on my 70 is exactly as yours , I thought it strange too when I dismantled mine but it seems to be a common set up.

Do not do as I did however - I bagged all the shims and put them in a "safe" place which I promptly forgot.

I had to buy a complete new set and then a week later found the originals !

I would recommend using new mounting bolts.

Thanks to you all for help and advice.  

I will keep it as it was and trust in whomesoever has looked after me for the previous Triumph years.  The new bushes went in today - !!!  four hours and a trip to Moss in Derby. Tomorrow I will look out my famous Swiss Army Knife and rebuild the car.  I need it for work on Thursday.

Happy tinkering,

Phil Rylance