Late Model Door Pull TR6

HI

I had a late TR once with the door pull in the panel, i now have the early type on top of the door and was wondering about the conversion

i guess i would cut holes in the panel to align with the plastic pull and need to weld something to the door to accept the pull

i did a search on the forum but didint come up with anything

would anyone have any template info etc for the conversion ?

being on the Moss web pages cant find the plastic pulls, anyone got a pair i will be at malvern

cheers

david

HI

I had a late TR once with the door pull in the panel, i now have the early type on top of the door and was wondering about the conversion

i guess i would cut holes in the panel to align with the plastic pull and need to weld something to the door to accept the pull

being on the Moss web pages cant find the plastic pulls, anyone got a pair i will be at malvern

cheers

david

Hi Davis,

I bought a pair of TR4 ones (Ebay), these will fit as the holes are in the door for them. Mine's a 71 model though. They also look extremely good... :)

Tony

Hi Davis,

I bought a pair of TR4 ones (Ebay), these will fit as the holes are in the door for them. Mine's a 71 model though. They also look extremely good... :)

Tony

OK Tony

thanks for that, i 'll have a look around at malvern for the 6 and the 4 ones

cheers

david

I converted to the panel pulls - the earlier door pulls looked too....50s. Conversion came about when the door top came off in my hands.

Was an easy conversion - the door cards have the holes already there - you can just cut the material and flap it over.

Difficulty comes with the inner panels - if they're early, you need to weld in a panel to hold the door pull. I was lucky, one door had an early inner door skin, one had a later one, so I only had to weld in one panel (and as it's covered, the quality of my welding is not under scrutiny ;-)). You also need to change the door opening mechanism - the later door opening mechanism for the door pulls in question are kinked to bypass the door pull. Driver's side are easy - passenger side don't exist - and I tried in the UK and the US (obviously none in NZ and I have to admit I didn't try Australia). Must be a LHD issue or something (my car was RHD) where that side has used up the world's supply of door pull mechanisms. I had to cut and weld one of mine eventually to put the kink in.

You also need to source the door pulls - sometimes they are expensive! I was lucky - I got a box of them off eBay for not much (US$12, I think, for about 1/2 a dozen).

I may have some pictures...not sure...of my conversion. Have to root around a bit to see if I do.

Was it worth it? I definitely think so. Looked good to me - more 70s than 50s. I also painted the door tops instead of fitting another foam pad - that freed up a significant amount of room. Only 1/2" but what a difference! Mind you, I had put MX5 seats in and spent a weekend making sure they were bolted to the floor (using the original holes) exactly where I wanted them.

Just be aware it isn't just a matter of cutting a hole in the right place and popping a door pull in...

Edited by Mike Goldthorpe

Was an easy conversion - the door cards have the holes already there - you can just cut the material and flap it over.

Some repro cards are made specifically for early or late cars, the early ones won't have the cutout.

Ivor

Don't worry about the door pulls - I have a few here :-) I can post a set to you. Don't worry about paying - I have received a few things in the past free of charge from others around the world and would feel guilty if I "broke the chain", as it were :-)

Thanks Mike PM sent

• 9 years later...

Never had the door pulls at my 1973 CR TR6 PI, RHD. But now I want them. The black plastic ones. But there are several qualities on the market. originals with inner lips (I never have seen the pulls in reality, the fotos are all the same poor quality), cheaper quality with no lips but need glue to mount. Than even cheaper ones with lips but which have fold and customized and at last very cheap ones, again only to glue on.

My priority is the function and a good looking. I would prefer an easy job to fit them, why not glue them. So wich type/reseller would you recommend?

EDIT: my CR is a kind of CP/CR hybrid. The door plates are that of a CP or very early CR (my ones ID starts withs CR55..), means just the door open- and window-handles.

many thanks

Carsten

Edited by Casar66

Hi David, I converted my 1970 TR6 to the TR4 style door pulls. as others have said, there were already holes in the doors & door cards to take them. I fixed them  using anchor nuts (available from Merlin Motorsport, Castle Combe) that you rivet to the door- very professional; by my standards....

Cheers,

Paul.

On 7/13/2010 at 12:53 PM, dblenk said:

HI

cheers

david

Hi David,

I did this mod using Triumph Spitfire ones which I got from the Spitfire Graveyard. It was not difficult to do, the reason that I did it was that I cut the tips of two of my fingers on the jag get edges of plastic. It was extremely painful for over two weeks. But you also need post 73 door cards which I used as templates and replacement of the original ones.

Bruce. 

12 hours ago, Casar66 said:

Never had the door pulls at my 1973 CR TR6 PI, RHD. But now I want them. The black plastic ones. But there are several qualities on the market. originals with inner lips (I never have seen the pulls in reality, the fotos are all the same poor quality), cheaper quality with no lips but need glue to mount. Than even cheaper ones with lips but which have fold and customized and at last very cheap ones, again only to glue on.

My priority is the function and a good looking. I would prefer an easy job to fit them, why not glue them. So wich type/reseller would you recommend?

EDIT: my CR is a kind of CP/CR hybrid. The door plates are that of a CP or very early CR (my ones ID starts withs CR55..), means just the door open- and window-handles.

many thanks

Carsten

Hi Carsten

Out of interest,my car is a CR with CP door pulls. Its CR5403 built in Nov '73. According to CR spec's this type of door pull is not original & incorrect. After spending quite a bit of money purchasing new door cards & cut out door pulls, I stripped the old door cards & found there were no brackets with the 3 fixings nuts required. I can only assume some CR cars were built with top door pulls or both doors & cards have been changed for early type. However this doesn't fit with the rest of the car where most panels are appear to be  original. The doors are even fitted with press studs for a tonneau the car was originally supplied with. I know the car built 20 units after mine was fitted with the cut out type so its a bit of a mystery.

Alan    

Alan,

that was a good advice. I have viewed some photos and my doors have those brackets and so I guess I should have had the late cards and pulls. But the TR was fully restored during the late eighties and became amongst others leather interior and the early cards and no pulls instead.

I want to stay with the "wrong" cards and so I need the early pulls.

11 hours ago, super6al said:

Hi Carsten

Out of interest,my car is a CR with CP door pulls. Its CR5403 built in Nov '73. According to CR spec's this type of door pull is not original & incorrect. After spending quite a bit of money purchasing new door cards & cut out door pulls, I stripped the old door cards & found there were no brackets with the 3 fixings nuts required. I can only assume some CR cars were built with top door pulls or both doors & cards have been changed for early type. However this doesn't fit with the rest of the car where most panels are appear to be  original. The doors are even fitted with press studs for a tonneau the car was originally supplied with. I know the car built 20 units after mine was fitted with the cut out type so its a bit of a mystery.

Alan    

Hi Ceasar66,

My car is an early CR type and I have had it from new made in early Jan 73 and it came with top door pulls from new but these seem to crack very quickly. But sometime in 73/74? BL changed this and went over to the Spitfire type grab handles? Graham would be able to tell us when? My car also came with press studs fitted for the tonneau cover as well!

Bruce.

Hi All

Been following this door pull thread as with a 72 car mine has the slightly flimsy door capping pull's and i though a change might be an improvement.

And i have to say you absolutely learn something every day.

I haven’t really looked at many cars recently, except my own and assumed people were talking of adding a TR4 / Spitfire style handle to the int, as pic 1.

Then I saw the late six in Mattyb’s post on an interesting US TR6 and noticed the int door pull on that, as pic 2.

I really wasn’t aware that the pull was changed from the capping to the door card so now I know why people are talking about cutting door cards and changing internal door pressing.

Just hoping my door capping does not come off in my hand like NZ mikes.

Cheers  Keith

Pic 1 TR6 int handle.jpg

Pic 2Late TR6 door pull.jpg

Hi all

Well after my lesson in all things late TR6 i thought i'd put TR6 door pull in the search on e-bay and look what turned up.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TR6-SPITFIRE-GT6-INTERIOR-DOOR-PULL-Part-Number-624634-and-706011/143320205938?hash=item215e8cca72:g:AX4AAOSwS~9co4Is

Pretty cheap at £14 quid, just not sure about the 50 plus dollar postage.

Hey ho.

Cheers  Keith

Hi Keith

The ones in pic 2 are the ones I purchased (along with door cards & new door caps) only to find no fixing brackets in the door. My top door pulls are like Bruces & have aged & cracked (the dash seems to be of the same vintage) which again makes me think they were original fit. In the end I purchased new top pulls from TRF which seem good quality although I haven't fitted them yet.

In the interest of originality can anyone confirm when the change took place? According to Moss it was from CR5001, however my car doesn't seem to match that.

Alan

On 10/16/2019 at 6:35 PM, Keith66 said:

Hi all

Well after my lesson in all things late TR6 i thought i'd put TR6 door pull in the search on e-bay and look what turned up.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TR6-SPITFIRE-GT6-INTERIOR-DOOR-PULL-Part-Number-624634-and-706011/143320205938?hash=item215e8cca72:g:AX4AAOSwS~9co4Is

Pretty cheap at £14 quid, just not sure about the 50 plus dollar postage.

Hey ho.

Cheers  Keith

Go to the Spitfire Grave Yard! You can do it for a lot cheaper than the postage!

Bruce.

57 minutes ago, KiwiTR6 said:

Just finished fitting mine today, a Mini pattern part I believe.  They may not be strictly period, but they look fine and work well.  

I think the painted door top looks great, is it staying that way?

Graham

1 hour ago, Graham J said:

I think the painted door top looks great, is it staying that way?

Graham

Yes they will Graham. I managed to put a light scratch in the passenger side top with a door card clip as I was playing at perfectionist (I should have given up before then).  I was trying to refit the handle for the third time as the mounting centres were slightly different to the driver's side and it wouldn't drop down.  I was gutted.  Fortunately I have some matching paint in a spray can, a little touch up with that and it's now completely  invisible - phew!

Gavin

I have also painted door tops instead of the plastic. MeantimeI know, I have the "wrong" door-cards, I need the later ones with the Spitfire pulls. Bu I do not like them. So I think that I will spend the next years with my car as I did in the last 15 years: no door-pulls. I never missed them (nearly).IMG_20191022_155555.thumb.jpg.9f58e37359e1370e10134060962f4ff4.jpg