Clicking noise whilst driving

Hi all,

I've now owned my first TR4 for a few months and this is my first post on the forum. It's a 1962 and in good condition, having been restored some years ago. I'm gradually going through it fixing a few minor problems. Would love to do a full restoration one day, but at the moment this is about all I have time for!

One thing I've noticed since I've had it is a gentle clicking noise when driving. It's pretty quiet and mainly noticeable when driving next to a wall or a verge so that the sound gets bounced back. Sounds like it's coming from the rear but hard to be sure. The period of the click is dependent on the road speed and disappears under braking (even very gentle braking). I did originally think it might be a loose wheel spoke but have recently fitted all new wire wheels (for a different reason) and the clicking is still there. Have checked all the wheel bearings and they seem fine. I can't reproduce the noise by spinning any of the wheels when jacked up. I'm starting to run out of ideas so any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve,

could be brakes - check the front pads they can rattle about (but usually not click).

For the rear brakes it could be the shoe return springs vibrating on the back plate.

I had this (not quite a rattle) and used some RTV to bond the spring coils to the back plate.

Check also the damper drop arms.

Roger

Hi Steve,

From the information you give, it must be something related

to wheel speed.

Whilst you may expect to be able to reproduce the sound with

the car jacked up, remember that the bearings are no longer

under load (and under a slightly different load when you brake).

Could be the front pads catching, or could well be the backing

plate behind the front discs running a bit close and clicking

but with braking (or jacked up), the alignment of the friction

disc changes slightly.

Check for play in the front hubs - check and tighten up the

front taper bearings.

Could also be something inside the rear drums - remove, check,

clean and replace.

AlanR

It is usually the rear shoes moving back & forth. Adjusting the shoes will decrease the amount of movement and also give a tighter hand brake. Adjust using the square head screw thru the backing plate.

I had this about 30 years ago...It was a loose spline adapter...the 4 nuts had come loose.

Needless to say I ignored the noise until the NSF wheel came off c/w spline and 2 eared nut.

Dick.

Had exactly the same thing - turned out one of the circular spring clips that hold the rear brake shoes in place had come undone. I'm sure it could be one of the other thoughts listed above, but your experience sounds so familiar that I thought I'd mention it.

Mick

Managed to spend some time looking at the problem this weekend. UVs seem okay and have checked and adjusted the rear brakes as suggested in a few of the posts, however the noise is still there. Pulling the handbrake whilst driving doesn't stop the noise however the foot brake does so looks like it could be the front brakes.

Looking at the front callipers, there doesn't appear to be any anti-rattle clips or springs (or anywhere to fit them). Does anyone know if they can/should be fitted?

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve,

there are no anti-rattle clips as such (I think!).

There are anti-squeal bits and pieces that fit between the pad and piston.

EBC Green Stuff pads come with a Teflon'esque' anti-squeal gasket that sticks to the pad and piston which works well.

Don.t knoiw if they are available seperately.

Roger

Early TR4's have anti-rattle "springs" for the front pads(although they're not exactly super-effective on MINE....) As your TR is 1962, it may have the early set-up - see #41 on this link:

http://www.moss-europe.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=1894

Can't be sure you have them but, if you do, check that they are a. not too rusty and b. the right way up and prressing on the pads.

As I say, I think they're a bit ****, but this COULD be your problem...

Early TR4's have anti-rattle "springs" for the front pads(although they're not exactly super-effective on MINE....) As your TR is 1962, it may have the early set-up - see #41 on this link:

http://www.moss-europe.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=1894

Can't be sure you have them but, if you do, check that they are a. not too rusty and b. the right way up and prressing on the pads.

As I say, I think they're a bit ****, but this COULD be your problem...

I'm pretty sure mine are the same as the top-right inset picture, with the removable retaining pins and no anti-rattle springs. I guess it may have been fitted with the later calipers at some point if they aren't original to the car. After listening to it again yesterday, I'm almost certain that this is where the noise is coming from. Maybe I should check the front wheel bearings again for any play. Job for next weekend...

Hi Steve,

you can't do it next week-end for that is the date of the TR Register International Week-end meeting.

I know you're not in the TR Reg but that is another good reason to get on down to Malvern.

Join up, enjoy yourself, and find bits you need, plus info.

Roger

Hi Steve,

you can't do it next week-end for that is the date of the TR Register International Week-end meeting.

I know you're not in the TR Reg but that is another good reason to get on down to Malvern.

Join up, enjoy yourself, and find bits you need, plus info.

Roger

Yes, definitely planning on joining up (it's on my todo list - honest!). Would love to get down to Malvern this weekend, however I'm off to a friend's wedding but hopefully next year.

My mystery click from the rear, was a large stone in the nsf tyre tread, - don't know why dabbing the brakes temporarily fixed it.

Alternatively I don't know why removng a large stone from the tread of my front tyre fixed a problem with my rear brakes.

:)

Mike