Looking for Coil/ignition suggestions

I came to halt yesterday, coil clapped out. The black plastic shroud and HT lead screw connector then broke up when trying to unscrew them. The distributor cap also turned out to be made of aginputty.

I could replace everything except coil from boot spares, and I was fortunate to be able to get a Unipart coil of unknown spec which with usual tape got me home.

These parts are only a couple of years old ( just a few thousand mile in another words).

Distributor bits I can get from Martin Jay, I am clearly not wanting to get replacement coil from the original supplier who unfortuantely was the usual suspect. [Although I will advise them of this event. ]

I know that quite lot of parts are common acorss retailers, but no specific knowledge. So....

any suggestions please on where to get a decent coil. I am running a standard spec 4.

Mike

Edited by MikeF

I came to halt yesterday, coil clapped out. The black plastic shroud and HT lead screw connector then broke up when trying to unscrew them. The distributor cap also turned out to be made of aginputty.

I could replace everything except coil from boot spares, and I was fortunate to be able to get a Unipart coil of unknown spec which with usual tape got me home.

These parts are only a couple of years old ( just a few thousand mile in another words).

Distributor bits I can get from Martin Jay, I am clearly not wanting to get replacement coil from the original supplier who unfortuantely was the usual suspect. [Although I will advise them of this event. ]

I know that quite lot of parts are common acorss retailers, but no specific knowledge. So....

any suggestions please on where to get a decent coil. I am running a standard spec 4.

Mike

Tim Hodgekiss of Vintage Motor Spares will have exactly what you want and his prices are exceptionally good. Just Google.

There are loads of useful contacts here

Hi Mike

Lucas branded coils are still available and appear to be good quality. The DLB105 sports coils is the one to go for from your local friendly auto electric supplies, usually between the £20 to £30 mark

I've got them on the rally 2000 and no problems... and they're gold in colour... bring on the bling!

Cheers

darren

Hi Mike

Lucas branded coils are still available and appear to be good quality. The DLB105 sports coils is the one to go for from your local friendly auto electric supplies, usually between the £20 to £30 mark

I've got them on the rally 2000 and no problems... and they're gold in colour... bring on the bling!

Cheers

darren

Thanks all for your replies. My two local car shops are gradually , and with apologies, giving up on "proper parts" and going over to what used to be called the tart and tune market, but mostly now just tart. It's where the money is so you can't blame them. Still the good news is when I have got the '4 done and am looking for thigns to do I can fit some underbody blue road lighting and a couple of giant woofers, not forgetting a megaphone tail pipe extension. MInd they do have all the latest LED lights and not too expensive and proper Penrite and Miller etc oils, so not all bad

Thanks all for your replies. My two local car shops are gradually , and with apologies, giving up on "proper parts" and going over to what used to be called the tart and tune market, but mostly now just tart. It's where the money is so you can't blame them. Still the good news is when I have got the '4 done and am looking for thigns to do I can fit some underbody blue road lighting and a couple of giant woofers, not forgetting a megaphone tail pipe extension. MInd they do have all the latest LED lights and not too expensive and proper Penrite and Miller etc oils, so not all bad

FWIW a sports coils offers no benefit unless you're exceeding 15,000 rpm regularly! They are also more likely to cause arcing somewhere in the system, however whatever you decide I'd get two (they are about £20 ea.) and modern Lucas are not as reliable as they used to be.

I had two go on the Bentley recently and last year, one on the Bristol. The Bentley ones goes on upside down and all the oil leaked out.

Ash

FWIW a sports coils offers no benefit unless you're exceeding 15,000 rpm regularly! They are also more likely to cause arcing somewhere in the system, however whatever you decide I'd get two (they are about £20 ea.) and modern Lucas are not as reliable as they used to be.

I had two go on the Bentley recently and last year, one on the Bristol. The Bentley ones goes on upside down and all the oil leaked out.

Ash

As Advised by David, Martin Jay does supply coils, so I ordered from him and next day Geno the Postie brought me a Flamethrower coil in amongst the othr bits. I'll keep my mystery Unipart as a spare.

It's probably imaginary, but the car now seems to start more readily and need a lighter pedal. For sure though our [digital] tele goes blank when I leave car idling outside the house, and it never did before. So I guess there is a stronger spark,or amybe even an arc somewhere. I'll have to find some supressors I suppose as no doubt I am wiping out all my neighbours TVs as well. Meanwhile I suppose I am a modern state of the arc Marconiman!!

Mike

Hi Mike

Lucas branded coils are still available and appear to be good quality.

Cheers

darren

In Northumbria Group not long ago three members had relatively new Lucas Sports coils fail in as many weeks. Now, people are wary of them. I keep mine which I was about to fit at the time as a spare spare, it will probably never see the light of day.

Paul

In Northumbria Group not long ago three members had relatively new Lucas Sports coils fail in as many weeks. Now, people are wary of them. I keep mine which I was about to fit at the time as a spare spare, it will probably never see the light of day.

Paul

Sad to say I am now using a CI made coil...... CI [Commercial Industries] and is the descendant of Quinton Hazell according to my local car shop, who got it in a day. He says they are still made in UK, although it doesn't say any origin on the box. It’s nicely finished and seems heavier than the other coils now laying about my place. Lets hope this one doesn't also suffer from juvenile delinquency.

Mike

Sad to say I am now using a CI made coil...... CI [Commercial Industries] and is the descendant of Quinton Hazell according to my local car shop, who got it in a day. He says they are still made in UK, although it doesn't say any origin on the box. It’s nicely finished and seems heavier than the other coils now laying about my place. Lets hope this one doesn't also suffer from juvenile delinquency.

Mike

It's actually Commercial Ignition and QH seem to at least distribute it. I've had one for about eight years now and it has survived 30+ degrees ambient in France over a very hot 4.25L Bentley engine and it's still fine.

It's possible that Lucas Coils are okay again now but a year or two ago large numbers were sold that leaked out all their oil, overheated and failed and I know several people who had the problem. They may be fine now, but don't buy them if there is oil coming out of the HT connection.

Ash

It's actually Commercial Ignition and QH seem to at least distribute it. I've had one for about eight years now and it has survived 30+ degrees ambient in France over a very hot 4.25L Bentley engine and it's still fine.

It's possible that Lucas Coils are okay again now but a year or two ago large numbers were sold that leaked out all their oil, overheated and failed and I know several people who had the problem. They may be fine now, but don't buy them if there is oil coming out of the HT connection.

Ash

The Lucas stuff available now in the Green and white boxes is made in South Africa and is generally of pretty poor Quality.

Stuart.

Mike, Do you (or others) have any views on moving the coil to an inner wing mounting rather than on the engine casing. I have had coil problems in the past but have replaced it in the standard position. However the heat and vibration on the engine mounting can hardly be beneficial I would have thought. I have seen TRs with a spare coil mounted on the inner wing or bulkhead as back up, but not in regular use in that position. I'm lead to believe the engines now run hotter on unleaded fuel which probably doen't help either.

Mike, Do you (or others) have any views on moving the coil to an inner wing mounting rather than on the engine casing. I have had coil problems in the past but have replaced it in the standard position. However the heat and vibration on the engine mounting can hardly be beneficial I would have thought. I have seen TRs with a spare coil mounted on the inner wing or bulkhead as back up, but not in regular use in that position. I'm lead to believe the engines now run hotter on unleaded fuel which probably doen't help either.

I have mine on the inner wing next to my expansion tank. Original still in place on the block sort of "just in case".

Stuart.

I believe the competition guys either move the coil to the inner wing or keep a spare there.

I have an aversion to drilling holes if I can avoid it, so I have trial mounted a heat spreader/deflector on spacers between block and coil. This is posh way of saying I put a bit of ally sheet on washers behind the coil so the ally stands away from the block a bit and the coil clamps to that..;) Seems to be a bit cooler, in that I can grip coi after a run and I couldn't before. So it is now below about 70C, whereas before it was same temp as block probably,

Mike

I have been running an epoxy filled bosch for the last 5 years in some pretty hot weather ( 35C + ) and it hasnt missed a beat.

The Works TR4s have their coils (one is spare) mounted on the front inner wing - standard rally practice.

Offers two advantages:

- removes coils from engine heat & vibration;

- makes changeover (in the event of coil failure) very rapid, and the crew could not afford to be late at the next control should a coil fail.

Ian Cornish

The Works TR4s have their coils (one is spare) mounted on the front inner wing - standard rally practice.

Offers two advantages:

- removes coils from engine heat & vibration;

- makes changeover (in the event of coil failure) very rapid, and the crew could not afford to be late at the next control should a coil fail.

Ian Cornish

Well having had 3 coils fail in my 5 year ownership that makes sense. I will overcome my aversion to drilling. The new position will add some authenticity to my (inherited) black dash on the tune up front!

Mike

If you plan your installation carefully, you will need only 3 holes, as the mounting brackets of the coils can overlap in the middle. It is best to provide an earth wire connection to the coils, rather than relying on the bodywork to do the job (yes, I know the bodywork is supposed to be connected to the chassis and engine, but you want the best possible path for the electrics!).

Ian Cornish

As I was cleaning some of the last 12 months' muck from under the bonnet (it's time for the annual wash & brush-up!), I had a look at the two coils on my car and noticed that the coils do NOT share a central bolt - each is mounted with a pair of bolts, but the brackets sit one above the other between the coils, so the holes are thus:

O Coil 1 O

O Coil 2 O

Ian Cornish (what is memory - I have forgotten!)