Air filter question

Hello,

I noticed that my TR5 works better with no air filter at the end of the hose connected to the air plenum chamber.

However, I want to use my car on standard roads for many, many years to come, so I don't think driving with no filter at all is a good idea for my engine's lifespan!

What do you think is the best option for me as regards an air filter that would be as unrestricting to the airflow as possible?

I prefer to keep the original look but this is not a strict requirement.

Also, I've heard that the cooler the air, the better, so maybe it's better to avoid a cone filter at the end of the air plenum chamber?

Thank you for your opinions!

I believe the best answer is a K and N filter replacing the original. They are the same size etc so retain the original look etc but have a much better air flow. They arent cheap tho.

Regards

Robin

Thanks, well actually I did try the ITG sock filter, but noticed that it really restricted my engine a lot after a while(mind you, maybe the filter needs cleaning, it had been "aspired" through the duct, to the end of the air plenum chamber!!)

Will try and go the K&N way, replacing the original filter in the original box

Hi Brett

I did this with my 5 and put a K & N filter in the original chamber and it seems to work fine.The entrance hole for the chamber points away from the radiator and down towards the o/s front. I understand this was the original design for the TR5 while others point towards the radiator.

The entrance hole for the chamber points away from the radiator and down towards the o/s front. I understand this was the original design for the TR5 while others point towards the radiator.

I never knew that; I always thought they all pointed in towards the radiator :blink:

The whole story is that I had fitted a Racetoration radiator cowl, which doesn't allow enough space to keep the original air filter box by the radiator. So I just fixed a sock filter in the hose instead, with the front end of the hose connected to a bespoke scoop in the Racetoration radiator cowl.

Very soon the sock filter got dirty (it's exposed fairly directly to road projections) and blocked the airflow. I noticed this with a loss of power, and opening the bonnet with the engine running it became obvious the blocked filter was the reason for it. How? Well it was so hilarious, and nearly disgusting, that I just had to make a video of it and share it here:

Funny isnt'it?

Now I'm going to cut the Racetoration radiator cowl on the side and put back the original air filter box, with a K&N inside.

Edited by Brett

The whole story is that I had fitted a Racetoration radiator cowl, which doesn't allow enough space to keep the original air filter box by the radiator. So I just fixed a sock filter in the hose instead, with the front end of the hose connected to a bespoke scoop in the Racetoration radiator cowl.

Very soon the sock filter got dirty (it's exposed fairly directly to road projections) and blocked the airflow. I noticed this with a loss of power, and opening the bonnet with the engine running it became obvious the blocked filter was the reason for it. How? Well it was so hilarious, and nearly disgusting, that I just had to make a video of it and share it here:

Now I'm going to cut the Racetoration radiator cowl on the side and put back the original air filter box, with a K&N inside.

Wouldn't have thought that until I saw it happening. This is obviously the reason people enlarge the diameter of the intake plenum, something I will definitely do after seeing this. Brett, you're engine wants more air mate, let it breathe... :)

Oh, and thanks for sharing that video, very enlightening.. :)

Cheers

Tony

Funny isnt'it?

You spec'd the wrong part

Edited by ntc

Yes, the TR5 cowl from Racetorations, that's exactly the one I have:

2009-06-17%20Moteur%20TR5%2004.jpg

2009-06-17%20Moteur%20TR5%2005.jpg

(we exchanged e-mails in 2009 when I bought it, you sent me impressive pictures of your car fitted with it :) )

Edited by Brett

Update/feedback:

I ordered a K&N filter for the original filter box.

Going back to the original filter box meant I rejuvened it by sandblasting and powder coating. After some thinking I decided to go for black instead of the original grey: This way it's more discreet behind the front grille seen from the front of the car.

It also means that I had to cut a portion of my Racetoration radiator cowl to allow room for the air filter box.

Test drive: It does offer better performance than the original filter element. (And of course a lot more than my old sock filter from the video!)

Happy with it so.

2010-06-26%2018%20TR5.jpg