Difference between a Tr3 and Tr3a

Can someone please tell me in very simple terms the differences between a Tr3 and Tr3a.

I am looking at a 1956 Tr3 but it appears outwardly to have the characteristics of a Tr3a - widemouth grille with indicators set into it. It doesn't however sport door handles.

Many thanks

Vic

Hello Vic, welcome to the forum. It was very popular to change the front panel on early TR2/3's for the later 3A type in the late fifty's/early sixties as this made the car look as though it was the latest model. Generally TR3's do not have door handles or rear fitted separate flashers - although very late TR3's do have the rear flashers! Very confusing for a first time buyer. I see that you have joined the TR Register so contact the office who will be very happy to sell you Bill Piggot's latest book that covers the TR2 - to TR4A very comprehensively.

Regards,

John

Edited by John Soffe

Hi Vic,

The basic original differences were -

TR3 - small mouth with eggbox grille at front of air intake, no door handles (unless car supplied with hardtop), first cars had front drum brakes, then front discs, no boot handles, rear indicators were red (except for last cars), thin front bumper bar with pronounced wrap around at ends, early pattern seats, centre guage panel trimmed in vynil as per dash, doors had inside vynil covered pull straps. Commission numbers on the plate on the bulkhead beneath the bonnet. TS8637 to TS22013.

TR3A- wide grille, door handles, all cars had front disc brakes, centre boot handle, amber rear indicators set into rear boot panel, thicker front bumper, new seat trim pattern, centre guage panel finished crinkle black. Commission numbers on plate on bulkhead TS22014 to TS83572.

But as John said, many cars were upgraded to look like later models, often because a damaged car had to be repaired with what was available from wrecked cars.

Hope that helps,

Viv.

Guest colinTR2

Hi Vic

There are couple of small variations under the bonnet, detail change dates/numbers I am not too sure of. The master cylinder on the 2 and 3 was a one piece casting serving both brakes and clutch, and at some point the 3A was (was it at the program start??) fitted with inch and threequarter SU carbs, whereas the 2 and 3 had inch and a halfs, considerably more efficient and economic on fuel.

I bought my TR2 in the early 70s and it, too, came with a 3A apron. When I rebuilt it in the late 80s I advertised in TRaction for a 2/3 apron, bought one first and then swopped my 3A apron for a really good 2/3 version. I think you would get less response these days, but you never know so why not try it??

Ken Mumford will tell you about the numbers of early aprons he squashed flat in land fill, because a lot of early car owners wanted to update to the 3A front!!

best of luck

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vic,

The basic original differences were -

TR3 - small mouth with eggbox grille at front of air intake, no door handles (unless car supplied with hardtop), first cars had front drum brakes, then front discs, no boot handles, rear indicators were red (except for last cars), thin front bumper bar with pronounced wrap around at ends, early pattern seats, centre guage panel trimmed in vynil as per dash, doors had inside vynil covered pull straps. Commission numbers on the plate on the bulkhead beneath the bonnet. TS8637 to TS22013.

TR3A- wide grille, door handles, all cars had front disc brakes, centre boot handle, amber rear indicators set into rear boot panel, thicker front bumper, new seat trim pattern, centre guage panel finished crinkle black. Commission numbers on plate on bulkhead TS22014 to TS83572.

But as John said, many cars were upgraded to look like later models, often because a damaged car had to be repaired with what was available from wrecked cars.

Hope that helps,

Viv.

That said, Vic, there is one other fly in the ointment that will bring tears to your eyes. Besides Viv's nice list of the way things were SUPPOSED TO BE, we find out later that TRANSITION AUTOMOBILES COULD HAVE WHATEVER WAS AVAILABLE PUT ON THEM AT THE FACTORY !!!!!! This happened with the transition from the TR2 to the TR3, and from the TR3 to the TR3A. Then there are us poor b------s with TR3Bs!!!

For example, there will be late TR2s with TR3 components on them, and TR3s with TR3A components on them. Conversely, even worse, there may be (Bill and Graham may confirm this) early TR3s with TR2 parts installed, and early TR3As with TR3 parts installed.

In other words, the Commission Numbers at which changes were made were not cut in stone.

Then, of course, there are the "model years" that were left up to the discretion of the dealers: 1958 TR doesn't sell in 1958, so they type up a new title with 1959 on it. Ipso fatso.

Welcome to our world, Vic. I can remember when I used to be dumb and happy, carrying my Spare Parts Catalog under my arm like it was the Bible. Then, the historians started giving me "the cold hard facts of life."

P.S. I SOLD MY MIATA TODAY. It was like saying goodbye to an old friend. My garage no longer looks cool with two sportscars in it. It now has a TR3 and a "stagecoach" SUV.

P.P.S. FIFA is not going well for Britain or the USA. Your media will have a field day chewing on your team, while over here it is "We was robbed."

Many thanks to all who repsonded.

I now have my 1956 TR3 with its TR3a apron and grille.

It needs a little tlc but is complete with the exception of its side screens; I'm sure I'll source some somewhere!

regards

Vic

Many thanks to all who repsonded.

I now have my 1956 TR3 with its TR3a apron and grille.

It needs a little tlc but is complete with the exception of its side screens; I'm sure I'll source some somewhere!

regards

Vic

Hello Vic,

If you require sidescreens then give Ken Mumford a ring on 0208 998 1626 - the afternoons are best to contact him - he lives in west London.

Ken is much cheaper than the main spares suppliers and his quality is top notch.

best regards,

John