Help changing NS driveshaft inner UJ please!

Hi Julian,

Jack up wheel (and support the chassis - don;t rely on the jack alone)

Wheel off

Slacken handbrake

Brake drum off

Removal 6 nyloc nuts that hold the hub on.

Remove 4 off nuts/bolts that hold the drive shaft to the diff flange.

Pull out the drive shaft.

Remove UJ circlips

Using a suitable sized socket&hammer knock the UJ spider through to one side and remove the cup.

Knock it back the other way and remove the other cup. - This should seperate the two ends of the drive shaft.

Repeat the knocking excerise to remove the other cups.

The spider (centre) should now fall on the floor.

Re-Assemble

Insert a cup part way into the outer flange

Insert the spider into the cup - be very very very careful that the roller bearings don't fall oput of place.

Insert the other cup and gently squeeze together (using a vice etc)

Insert circlips

Repeat for the other cups.

And don't forget the grease in the cups.

The UJ should now swivel smoothly. If it feels lumpy, very stiff then you may have a dropped roller bearing - go back to the begining.

Sometimes the cups are very tight in their holes - this should not be so - give them a gentle rub with wet&dry upon assembly.

Roger

As it's only the inner one being done, isn't it possible to split the drive shaft at the splined joint and only take the inner half out?

And if you'd like to see a U/J being changed there are several video's on u-tube, just google universal joint replacement and they should pop up. Th

As it's only the inner one being done, isn't it possible to split the drive shaft at the splined joint and only take the inner half out?

Yes, but it's pretty difficult to avoid getting dirt on the splines.

Speaking of splines, while the shaft is out, give the splines a good greasing with moly (CV) grease. The splines only assemble one way, there is a fat one.

Ivor

Yes, but it's pretty difficult to avoid getting dirt on the splines.

Ivor

Not if you put a freezer bag and rubber band over the splines as you feed it back through the trailing arm..............

• 7 years later...

Hi

I am tackling the UJ s on the driveshaft which is out of the car. I have removed two of the covers and UJ has come away. According to the manual these are dust covers and it appears the 'head ' of the UJ is stuck in the cover with roller bearings, this is what I assume anyway as the new UJ I have are too small to fit without the cover.

How can I get the 'head' out of the cover. The covers appear to no longer be available through Moss and Rimmers.

Hope I have explained this okay

Brian

I did not look at the video, but I would like to note that when the UJ are re-assembled and the circlips in place to give them a good knock in order to

drive the cups outwards, they should be in contact with the circlips..... or did I miss this. :blink:

In most sets I have seen the circlips were too wide and did not lock into the grove, in so far do not kill the circlips you remove, they might be needed. :(

This in addition to Roger's nice guide