Difficulty engaging reverse

From cold, it's always been a bit difficult to engage reverse on my 74 J-type box, but since the winter layup it's become much harder.

Now, to get the lever 'over the notch' needs two hands.

No grating noises, the lever just doesn't want to go over the detent.

Once warmed up, it reverts to being moderately reluctant.

I've searched the forum, but no joy.

Any ideas please?

Ivor

From cold, it's always been a bit difficult to engage reverse on my 74 J-type box, but since the winter layup it's become much harder.

Any ideas please?

Ivor

When you were playing about with the gearbox tunnel cover did you have the gear lever out and if so did you alter the two locating bolts tension on the stick and I seem to remember you said the hole for the stick didnt come up exactly right after trimming the cover, try it with out the gaiter on.

Stuart

Any ideas please?

Ivor

Ivor, poor lateral adjustment or poor installation of the spring and plunger will contribute to making engaging reverse difficult. You may have to pull the gearstick out and set it up properly using the wire tie trick to retain the plunger while re-installing the gearstick. A nice project for a wet Sunday.

Stan

Thankyou all.

The misplacement of the hole in the tunnel was towards the front, whereas the problem I have is getting it to go sideways, so I don't think that's to blame.

DPO changed the gearlever, and may have had the top cover out in which case it might now have too strong a detent spring, certainly it pops to the left with great vigour and a loud !click! when one takes it out of gear. I didn't think to check the gearlever adjustment while I had the cover off, doh...

I agree with the 1st first technique, although that's really to prevent the gears from grating, my problem is getting it sideways across the detent...

I'll try the lifting method.

On Sunday, I avoided the issue by parking nose out, so didn't have to reverse with it cold. Hopefully I can continue to wriggle round the problem until next winter.

Ivor

If you look at the selectors under the gear lever you will see that there is a distinct step up to the reverse selector. This is to stop accidental engagement of reverse during enthusiastic gear changes. I have had to build this step up on occasions as the step has been worn off over the years by owners just smacking the stick over instead of lifting it. It may be also that your selector has twisted over to the left a bit with the bottom of the stick constantantly hitting the step.

Stuart

....owners just smacking the stick over instead of lifting it

That sent me scuttling for my owner's handbook, which I find I can't find.

Smacking the stick over, c'est moi.

Went into the garage, tried lifting the lever, it does seem a lot easier.

Thankyou.

I wonder how many owners know that?

Ivor

Judging by some of the replies its no wonder I keep seeing worn out "steps" on selectors ;)

Stuart

That sent me scuttling for my owner's handbook, which I find I can't find.

Smacking the stick over, c'est moi.

Went into the garage, tried lifting the lever, it does seem a lot easier.

Thankyou.

I wonder how many owners know that?

Ivor

I did'nt... :blink:

Tony

Strewth . . . .

If you can't change gear in a TR, any TR, with two fingers . . . . then there's something seriously adrift with either the 'box or the driver, or both. If all else fails, read the handbook. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

Yep two fingers under the gear knob. lift and engage reverse. ;)

Stuart.