noisy wire wheels!

Hi everyone - i've a couple of questions that you might be able to help with, as follows:

1.any idea what could be causing the following? I had my 1974 TR6 converted to wire wheels when i bought it. Now that the weather is improving and the car is being used, i've noticed a noise coming from the offside front wheel (and possibly from some of the others too, but not sure)- it's as though something is hitting the spokes as the wheel turns and it's quite loud and rhythmic, increasing with the speed of the car. The odd thing is that if you apply the brakes the noise stops and as soon as you lift your foot off the brake pedal, it resumes. There are no broken spokes. Any ideas much appreciated.

Second question - what's a reasonable average mpg to expect from a TR6 (it has an electronic ignition if that makes any difference)? Thx again.

Cwells

On my girlfriends modern day car after having a new tire fitted she had the exact same problem

We took it to several different places and nobody could find what was causing the noise

Then one day while she was driving, what ever was trapped came loose, and bounced under the car

Since then she hasn't had any trouble, the car brakes how it should, it doesn't pull to one side or make any noises it shouldn't

It could be that some thing very small (i.e. a small stone) is trapped and might work it's way out in time

Nick

If it goes away when you apply a little brake pressure, then I would sumise its pad rattle, there was a thread recently about this, but I didnt find it, you could try an interim measure is to take out the pads and put a little copper grease on the metal side and on the corners where the pads locate in the caliper. There is also a sticky pad that can hold the pad from rattling.

I bet somebody else will advise the thread in no time.

Also make sure that the bolts that hold on the adaptor are not long and not allowing the wire wheel to go onto its inner taper

John

Hi everyone - i've a couple of questions that you might be able to help with, as follows:

1.any idea what could be causing the following? I had my 1974 TR6 converted to wire wheels when i bought it. Now that the weather is improving and the car is being used, i've noticed a noise coming from the offside front wheel (and possibly from some of the others too, but not sure)- it's as though something is hitting the spokes as the wheel turns and it's quite loud and rhythmic, increasing with the speed of the car. The odd thing is that if you apply the brakes the noise stops and as soon as you lift your foot off the brake pedal, it resumes. There are no broken spokes. Any ideas much appreciated.

Second question - what's a reasonable average mpg to expect from a TR6 (it has an electronic ignition if that makes any difference)? Thx again.

Hi sounds like wheel adapter

lots of opinions on this

i used the standard wheel bolts with a packing plate (so you do not have to cut the bolts down)

this allows you to change the wheels back to standard in the winter,

the problem is that a standard socket doesn't fit on the nut properly giving you a

false reading when you torque the nut up the secret is to grind the socket

down so it sits in the reassess better

regards pink

From experience, on a nice long touring drive (last one was Auckland to Wellington here in NZ) it was, according to my mental calculations, abot 25-ish mpg. Commuting in town - less than 10....but this is during rush hour traffic with Auckland plethora of red lights...

Edit - this was also with electronic ignition

Edited by Mike Goldthorpe

Hi Cwells, my money is on pad rattle as I am having exactly the same problem. I've got as far as jacking the car up and just rocking the wheel back and forward and you can see and hear the pads rattle.

Following the help from one of your other replies, I've just bought myself a pad fitting kit that includes some anti-rattle springs from eBay. A job for the weekend and I'm hoping it'll work.

Regards,

Alan

Had the exact same type of noise when I converted mine to wires!!

Was asort of a rubbing chingling rythmic sound,seemed to be coming from everywhere! :unsure::blink:

I cured the problem quite easily! ;)

I got rid of the wire wheels! :D

Also decided that I didnt like the look of wires on a 6 after all!!

Hi Cwells, my money is on pad rattle as I am having exactly the same problem. I've got as far as jacking the car up and just rocking the wheel back and forward and you can see and hear the pads rattle.

Following the help from one of your other replies, I've just bought myself a pad fitting kit that includes some anti-rattle springs from eBay. A job for the weekend and I'm hoping it'll work.

Regards,

Alan

Well, I've fitted the anti-rattle springs and bingo, the noise has gone! Well worth the money..

Alan

Well, I've fitted the anti-rattle springs and bingo, the noise has gone! Well worth the money..

Alan

If the pads move when you rock the wheel,then the disc is moving,which means there is probably excess play in the wheel bearing!

The anti rattle springs may cure the noise,rattle, but it doesnt cure the overall cause!

Unless you mean when you turn the wheel they are binding up a bit?

Have you cleaned up the edge of the disc? as the crusty build up is one cause of them rattling!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi and a big thank you to everyone who replied to this one. I've found the cause and 2 people had got it right. The pads are moving in the calipers -when on a ramp with the front jacked up you can clearly see and hear the pads moving up to hit the top of the caliper when rotating the wheel. Time to buy a pad fitting kit = will try eBay as one of the responders bought one there. Thx again.