rattling gear lever

Have changed and checked the oil in the gearbox but have this iritating vibration through the gear lever. I can hold it and the vibration disappears. Any help to rectify it would be appreciated.

At a guess you are probably missing the spring and plunger from the base of the gear lever. It usually gets left out as its a pain to fit. Available from TR Shop/Moss/TR Bitz etc

Stuart.

Hi jmontr5,

Mmmmmmm Well the plunger and spring is certainly not missing from Elsie (as Stuart says they are a pain to fit, so you know if you did it) but after only 3K miles I am begining to get the occaisional fizz of vibration. Methinks it may be a lack of enough grease or, more likely a weak spring, but check for presence anyway , if present then apply more grease or find a longer spring, (you will have endless fun getting that in).

Cheers

Hi jmontr5,

Mmmmmmm Well the plunger and spring is certainly not missing from Elsie (as Stuart says they are a pain to fit, so you know if you did it) but after only 3K miles I am begining to get the occaisional fizz of vibration. Methinks it may be a lack of enough grease or, more likely a weak spring, but check for presence anyway , if present then apply more grease or find a longer spring, (you will have endless fun getting that in).

Cheers

Also on the 5 and 6 gear levers there is the adjustment on the side screws to take into account as well as careful adjustment of them can make a difference to vibration as well. Most of the springs supplied at the moment for the lower plungers are too long and end up coil bound when fitted so that may not help as well.

Stuart

I've had this problem rarely in 34 years with '250s and have never been certain of the cause. The issue has always either resolved itself or it has gone away with ignition system fettling ( re-gap plugs, renew points, timing ). Sometimes the only difference has been the fuel used :huh: A new clutch assembly can result in a new buzz too <_<

I've seen a reference to front damper origins as well.

If you nail the cause we'd like to know :)

I've had this problem rarely in 34 years with '250s and have never been certain of the cause. The issue has always either resolved itself or it has gone away with ignition system fettling ( re-gap plugs, renew points, timing ). Sometimes the only difference has been the fuel used :huh: A new clutch assembly can result in a new buzz too <_<

I've seen a reference to front damper origins as well.

If you nail the cause we'd like to know :)

Spot on Tom,with as little as 2deg to much advance timing it will rattle

The gearlever of my TR250 suddenly started to rattle. I knew I had put in a spring and plunger. (It is an experience one will not forget!) After taking the gearlever out I found out that the plunger was stuck in the hole. I had to tap it on a piece of wood to get it out. There was no coil bound of the spring but the aftermarket plunger was too soft and a little damaged. After using a file I put the plunger back again again and the rattle is gone.

regards Henk

Sadly for me, playing with the timing makes no difference to the sizzle I get when accelerating hard. I remember that the spring was too short when I last had the gear lever out so I judiciously stretched it. It was a swine to get back in and so I thought I'd cracked it - but no.

I did wonder if the problem was exacerbated by the tubular exhaust manifold and the big bore pipe being firmly mounted to the gearbox.

I guess it adds to the experience.

Edited by HPA 510K