Just had my 4 out today on a good run, but noticed when I get it up to around 70mph, 3000rpm approx, the car shakes. It is not coming through the column, but when you slow down and back up again, it more often than not, disappears. Really weird.

Can anyone help with this before my teeth fall out??

Thanks

David

Just had my 4 out today on a good run, but noticed when I get it up to around 70mph, 3000rpm approx, the car shakes. It is not coming through the column, but when you slow down and back up again, it more often than not, disappears. Really weird.

Can anyone help with this before my teeth fall out??

Thanks

David

How are your tyres looking?

I only ask because I was experiencing a similar "phenomenon" on an old car of mine... about 20 minutes after I noticed it happening, my rear tyre blew out at 70mph. Pretty scary but fortunately no accidents/injuries! I'm sure this is unlikely to be the case with you (my tyres were royally-buggered at the time) but it's just a thought.

Hi David,

I would be checking the prop shaft UJs, favourite for vibration assuming the wheels are OK.

Hope you get it sorted.

Graeme

Does it continue shaking if you kick the clutch out at 70mph and let it idle?

Is it worse when accelerating, or decelerating?

Ivor

Does it continue shaking if you kick the clutch out at 70mph and let it idle?

Is it worse when accelerating, or decelerating?

Ivor

Good question

3000 rpm in any gear/speed?

or 70mph in any gear, [4th. 3 o/d , 4 o/d. ] That tells us if engine or transmission related.

Meanwhile some other thoughts

YOu didn't say why you had the wires off, are they back on again correctly? Could you have thrown a balance weight?

Could tryes be flat spotted after standing all winter? [in which case this will gradually go away maybe completely.]

MIke

Edited by MikeF

Good question

3000 rpm in any gear/speed?

or 70mph in any gear, [4th. 3 o/d , 4 o/d. ] That tells us if engine or transmission related.

Meanwhile some other thoughts

YOu didn't say why you had the wires off, are they back on again correctly? Could you have thrown a balance weight?

Could tryes be flat spotted after standing all winter? [in which case this will gradually go away maybe completely.]

MIke

Update - took the car out and up to 70 and above - no problems at all - Don't you just love intermittent faults !?!

Hopefully you were right Mike about the flat spots..

Watch this space.

However another fault (overdrive) has emerged. Separate post to follow