Hazard warning lights

Guest ron

Hi All

Has anyone fitted hazard warning lights to a TR6 that doesn't have them, mine originally had them when it was LHD but with converting it to RHD and fitting a new UK spec loom the facility has been lost.

Holden do a conversion kit but it's somewhat expensive at £43+.

Please bear in mind that car electrics aren't my strong point ???

Ron

I'm in exactly the same boat Ron, I've managed to buy (on Ebay) a couple of Hazard flasher switches and knobs and will be figuring out the wires to cut and graft in the next 4 weeks, I'll keep you posted, as and when I can, unless someone can come up with a full answer.

The basic principle is that the switch disconnects left and right indicators, when pulled out, and applies current to both sides simultaneously through a heavier power flasher unit.

I can let you have all the Lucas part numbers.   They're normally available on Ebay for less than a tenner total!

Jon

I've actually got the original switch [minus the knob] from the LHD car but there's a helluva lot of wires coming out of it, and as I said earlier car electrics aren't my favourite pastime. I would be very pleased if you could keep me posted on any findings and I'll do likewise

Ron

Jon

No hurry at all, its just something that would be nice to have, I'm not even sure I want to go splicing into a near brand new loom. Its actually quite surprising that a car made in the early seventies doesn't have them, or a clock or a cig lighter.

Ron

Ron,

I fitted a Lucas aftermarket kit to my six last year. Very easy to do. Send me an email on saffrontr@tiscali.co.uk and I will scan and email a copy of the instructions back to you. As far as I can remember there was no splicing of wires just a matter of adding some double connectors into the loom.

regards

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Ron,

Thanks for emailing Derek's instruction scan.

I'm assuming you have a Lucas pull/push type switch NOT the rocker type as used on some export cars.

The switch should have the designation 155SA, on the side of the moulding.   There should be 7 connectors + a black wire emerging at rear of switch.

The black emerging from the centre goes to chassis earth, and when switch pulled out bulb inside the red knob will flash.

At the rear of the moulding there are 7 contacts, 2 of which protrude approx ¼", these need to be plumbed into the wire between flasher unit and indicator switch.   When switch is in, the flasher unit is connected through the Hazard switch to the indicator switch for normal operation, when pulled out the supply is broken, disconnecting flasher unit supply.

Have a look at the wires FROM the indicator switch going to the left and right hand indicator lights.   On the wiring diagram for TR6s these are shown as GR Green/Red for Left, and GW Green/White for Right, if you can match these with any of the other 4 or 5 from the rear of Hazard switch, splice one to each (it doesn't really make any difference how they're connected, but looks tidier if colours match!).   You can use the blue 3M/Scotchblock connectors if you don't want to cut any wires.   Personally, I'd rather opt for cutting, fit crimp on bullet terminals and also solder them, and use insulated connectors.   Of the remaining 2 or 3 wires, connect any one to the hazard flasher unit (this is shown in Lucas manual as part no. 35053 or SFB130 or from memory a 9FL unit rated for 8 amps) and the other terminal of the hazard flasher unit to a live 12v supply (not through ignition circuit) preferably by way of a 15A fuse, in-line or fuse box.  

Insulate and secure any unused wires out of the way.   They can be used for indicators warning lights, when there are individual bulbs/split circuits.   Test BEFORE finally fitting switch.  

If I can find the time I'll do a photo exampled description for TR Action, as this mod. could be of interest to others, and is much cheaper than buying a kit.   Dolomite/2000 etc Hazard light switches go regularly on Ebay for £3 - £10.

To anyone interested in carrying out this mod., I hope this is all clear and makes sense, if not please ask.

Thanks Jon

That's the switch I've got, I've even managed to find the knob for it!! I must also have the flasher unit somewhere so I'll need to have another search.

I think it would be a great idea to do an article for TRaction, I would think a lot of people would like this mod to their car.

Ron

• 6 months later...
I got mine a few years back from the TR Shop in Chiswick.  Its the unit as fitted to later spitfires etc I think.  All the wires on it are the right length and right colour codes, so you just have to match it to the existing connections near the steering column.  No cutting, no meters etc needed.  I think each connector already had a spare socket on the loom, did not need to swop singles to doubles.   It has its own fuse attached.  The power wire is plain purple and this on my car is connected into a double connector which joins 2 fat plain brown wires under the heater.

Auto Electric Supplies do a kit for £13 =vat which should do the job.

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/

consists of a toggle switch, warning light and bracket, relay, wires and connectors.

The wiring diagramme is shown in their catalogue which can be downloaded from the website.

I havent fitted one yet. Still on the to do list.

DaveM

Yeeha, finally fitted a hazard warning system, it was a NOS Lucas system bought a while back off Ebay. It involved no wire cutting, the double bullet connectors were already there, the colour coding was the same, sounds the same as the one Chris Mitchell fitted.

Ron :D

PS If I'd known it was going to be as easy as that I'd have done it a while ago!!