Hello, pls some advise from anybody out there!!

During maintenance on my TR7, (changing rear and front shocks)i noticed a small oil leak at he bottom of the axle casing.(Pinion oil seal?)

I also saw that the axle breather was missing, and the breather hole was filled up with dirt and mud.

Further inspection (after installing the rear shocks and springs)i also noticed that the rear break shoes (Rh side) was covered in oil and grease.

At first i thougt a leak from the brake cilinder? But this was not the case (altough it was blocked on one side) The oil and or grease was coming from between the back plate (of the break drum) and the half shaft assembly.

Is it possible that all of this was caused by a missing breather and the fact that the brather hole was blocked?

Or am i in for changing the inner and outer Half shaft seal, maybe even the bearing for it felt like there was a little worn when moving the wheel drum.

And most important? Can this job be done by a DIY mecanic.

Any information on the subject is very welcome, many thanks. A Belgian TR7 owner. Greetings Luc M.

All sounds like a lot of work to me.

Wouldn't it be easier to swap the axle?

A pity you are not closer to Cambridge as I probably have a main axle asembly you could have foc.

Regards

David James

Hi, David. Thanks for the offer. But Cambridge is indeed a bit out of the way from my place!!

Have made a order with rimmer Bros for new seals and gaskets + Axle breather.

Again many thanks for the offer, greetings from flanders, belgium. Luc M.

With no breather the casing will be under preasure, probably causing most of your leaks but the seals may by now be blown.

<_<

Hello V8 again,

Have taken notice of your advice and ordered new seals and gaskets + Axle breather for the rear axle.

Thanks again for your reply and info. Greetings from flanders, Belgium. Luc M.