Hello All

I'm relatively new to TR4a ownership (january purchase) , and am currently enjoying the sunny weekend drives.

The problem i have is that a new housemate has filled up the garage with her boxes and junk.

Until these can be shifted to a storage depot, my poor tr4a is going to have to live outside.

I followed a few earlier threads about the horrors of car covers, but in the short term will have to make do.

Unfortunately there is no space for a fancy 'up and over' temporary garage, and so i'm looking at a car cover...

My questions are:

1. Is it worth getting one? or do i just leave the car outside in the april showers and let the sun naturally dry it?

2: I like the look of the Hamilton Classics cover. Relatively cheap and 'breathable'. Has anyone used one, or have a better suggestion?

I'm planning to leave the cover off during sunny spells, and cover the car if it looks like it may rain. (which i imagine may be often in April!!)

Many thanks

Justin

Hi Justin and welcome to the world of TR ownership. Isn't the problem the other way around though - i.e. how big a car cover do you need to provide adequate protection for all the "boxes and junk" !! :rolleyes:

I 110% AGREE!!!

Its the start of a rocky road to hell allowing a girl to store junk!!

If you start to charge her £1 a day for storage by the end of a month you will have paid for a cover,and she might of moved it all as well!

Its you and the car that are being inconvenienced,and it may well be that a stipulation of your insurance requires you to have it garaged when at home!! Tell her this anyway,and don't give in to womanly charms,its all to get us male suckers to give in after all!

Hi Justin

You could always offer to help her get her stuff to the storage depot by giving her lifts back and forth in the TR on your Sunny Weekend drives. It may take more trips than a van but your new house mate may get to appreciate how special a TR4A is and help to look after it by vacating the garage sooner.

She will ether love it or hate it, seems there is no inbetween where females are concearned.

Good luck

Sue

Hello Justin

While I agreee with all the other replies I do have a Hamilton Classics Cover & my 4a lived under it for a winter with no ill effects.

Having said that mine is painted with two pack so it could depend on the paint.

I used to uncover the car on nice days and let the air get round the car although there did not seem to be any condensation.

There are 3 main problems.

1/ If the surface of your drive is rough (mine has concrete strips with gravel between) it is awkward to get the strap under the car.

2/ They are quite dificult to remove and fold up small on your own while keeping the soft inside off the ground particularly when its windy.

3/ You have to find somewhere to put it when its off the car & its damp.

Although my car is garaged most of the while I still use the cover occasionally when I am using the garage for other things.

I have my car insured for on drive parking. When I asked my original insurers they said if I had told them it would be garaged overnight, it would not be covered if on the drive even occasionally & I felt that the small increase in premium was worth not having the hassle of putting it away when returning home late at night

Dave

Many thanks for all the comments!

Its nice to connect with some like-minded commonsense

If only life were so simple....

I have checked the insurance, and its fine on a driveway.

Fortunately the car fits nicely down the side of the house (a modern car certainly would struggle) which protects it from the worst of the weather, and with some strategic placing of the wheelybins (i knew the council had provided 3 for some magical reason) it is almost completely hidden from view.

Still tempted by the Hamilton cover..

Justin