Refurbishing Hood Frame.........

I need to refinish the hood frame but need advice from those with more experience than me. Does it need to be dismantled peice by peice (if it can be dismantled) or can I refinish it in 1 peice? Is it better to get it powder coated or should I paint it? If I paint it will the pivot points need treating so they do not seize up? Easy questions for those that have done the job in the past!

Thanks in advance Chaps.

Cheers Chris

I need to refinish the hood frame but need advice from those with more experience than me. Does it need to be dismantled peice by peice (if it can be dismantled) or can I refinish it in 1 peice? Is it better to get it powder coated or should I paint it? If I paint it will the pivot points need treating so they do not seize up? Easy questions for those that have done the job in the past!

Thanks in advance Chaps.

Cheers Chris

Its probably best to do it all in one as dismantling isnt easy and getting it back together correctly is even worse. Powder coat is nice but knowing these frames there is so minimal clearance between when folding it probably wont help. Painted ones will still tend to scrape paint off around pivot points anyway and usually need constant touching in. God knows how the concours boys get on ;) Lubrication needs to be applied sparingly otherwise it will transfer to the hood.

Stuart

" God knows how the concours boys get on"

With difficulty.

Some years ago, a very hot Malvern, I expressed surprise at one car going into the 'polishers palace' with its hood up. The owner patiently explained that it was not possible to lower the hood, ever, for fear of spoiling the frame paintwork. I could understand what he was getting at, just couldn't comprehend his sense of priorities . . . . :rolleyes:

Fortunately one of my Dutch chums came up with the perfect reply . . . "Ah, so you always walk around with the umbrella up, so as not to scratch the pole in the middle, and that is why you have no sun tan. Fear of skin cancer." Couldn't have put it better myself. :D

Cheers,

Alec

Thanks for your guidance Chaps,

It will be out with the paint then and working extreemly diligently,........but not to the point that the hood will be permantly up! It is rare that it goes up anyway, so I do question why the task needs to be done in the first place!

Thanks again.

I have also just pulled.....wait for it an aluminium roof panel out of my loft, the locating pins are shot to bits and loose in the lead edge....Has anybody got any pictures as to how this should be finished?

Cheers

Chris

" God knows how the concours boys get on"

With difficulty.

Some years ago, a very hot Malvern, I expressed surprise at one car going into the 'polishers palace' with its hood up.

The owner patiently explained that it was not possible to lower the hood, ever, for fear of spoiling the frame paintwork.

I could understand what he was getting at, just couldn't comprehend his sense of priorities . . . . :rolleyes:

This applies whether the hood is the ragtop or the bonnet!

AlanR

Well, Yes, I put both the backlight and ali lid in the loft a number of years ago with the intention to use in the not too distant future.....but everything takes longer than anticipated, but now is the time to sort it.

Before I rescued both items they had been outside for quite some time and the steel locating pins on the lead edge of the lid are badly corroded with one pin loose. Any pictures identify what they should look like when in good nick would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris,

You have raised a bit of as puzzle as the front of a Surrey Top roof does not have any location pins?

They all have two captive nuts - held in spot welded steel cages on a steel panel or a rivetted cage on an aluminium panel.

Perhaps some one has inserted / fixed a piece of studding into each caged nut, these to act as location, drop through the windscreen frame with a fixing nut on the underside.

If so that will look rather crude in use, in my opinion of course.

A standard Surrey Top roof is held at the front by two domed headed chrome bolts fitted upwards into the caged nuts.

Regards, Richard

Sorry Chaps, Those locating pins are actually on the back edge under the Rear Capping (having just refered to the Moss Catalogue).

Pictures of both front fixing and rear locating pins would be good.

Cheers

Chris