Black panel sealant

Hi all - Really enjoyed the show at Stoneleigh yesterday after leaving the 6 in a time warp 70's carpark. It was good to meet lots of you.

Anyway - yesterday I noticed some cars have a bead of black sealant between the body and front and rear winga. I asked a number of people but we didn't conclude much. Anyone know where this sealant is available from etc.

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard.

Can I refer you to this post!

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=21403&st=0&p=150991&hl=wing%20sealand&fromsearch=1entry150991

I did notice that the recently painted blue car on the Worcester classics stand had it painted over,this is totally wrong IMHO!!

It will eventually crack as the body flexes and may well damage the paint on the wing not just in the seam!

Just a thought - in the `Screwfix Direct` catalogue there are a range of silicone sealants in various colours - white black anthracite etc.

I`ve used the black stuff for a fireplace - might be worth a look.

Cheers Neil

Texflex non setting windscreen sealer.Or Dum Dum.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Just about to refit all the panels back to the tub after extensive metal working!

Can you tell me if you need to seal all the joints - front rear wings to valances/top of front wings to the inner wing as well as the top joints on the wings?

The car is Pimento red so what is acceptable as far as whats on show on these joints - what colour sealant would you use and where can I buy it from?

Apologies for so many questions!

Thanks

Tony

Hi Stuart,

Just about to refit all the panels back to the tub after extensive metal working!

Can you tell me if you need to seal all the joints - front rear wings to valances/top of front wings to the inner wing as well as the top joints on the wings?

The car is Pimento red so what is acceptable as far as whats on show on these joints - what colour sealant would you use and where can I buy it from?

Thanks

Tony

hi ive just put the wings back on my car after 23 years etting in a garage i used a black silicone from b&q ment for bathrooms and kitchens but my car is dark blue good luck john

Hi Stuart,

Thanks

Tony

For a good job you do need to seal around every joint and on the front especially around the splash panels as well. Most windscreen fitting companies or motor factors or paint factors will keep a good non setting windscreen sealer, Texflex is the one I usually use or 3m also do a good one. Do not under any circumstances use the one that they use for bonding windscreens in as you will never get it apart again! Dum Dum is available from Frosts Auto restoration. After fitting and tightening all the joins the excess can be removed with spirit wipe or panel degreaser to just leave a black line between, don't be tempted to over paint as the paint will crack eventually and look worse. I would rather see a well sealed joint than one without. Unfortunately no sealant that is suitable is available colour coded.

Stuart.

For a good job you do need to seal around every joint and on the front especially around the splash panels as well. Most windscreen fitting companies or motor factors or paint factors will keep a good non setting windscreen sealer, Texflex is the one I usually use or 3m also do a good one. Do not under any circumstances use the one that they use for bonding windscreens in as you will never get it apart again! Dum Dum is available from Frosts Auto restoration. After fitting and tightening all the joins the excess can be removed with spirit wipe or panel degreaser to just leave a black line between, don't be tempted to over paint as the paint will crack eventually and look worse. I would rather see a well sealed joint than one without. Unfortunately no sealant that is suitable is available colour coded.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart

Tony

dont! use sikaflex 221 on your car wings! i build boats with this stuff and they tend not to fall apart. even after years of use. you could probably take out all the bolts and drive around with out them in ! once this stuff cures, you would need a crow bar to remove them. or fit new wings! a non setting sealer is best. hope this helpes every one out there. regards Richard.