Stuck clutch advice needed re handbrake

Guest Martyn Elsmore

Guest Martyn Elsmore

hi all

would appreciate some advice please.

Have a very stuck clutch with the car parked in a very confined area . I have read the TR7 faq and tried putting the rear of the car on axle stands and stepping on the brake and clutch whilst she is in first gear .But to no avail.

My question is if i should also use the handbrake would this help unstick the clutch or would it do more damage?

Any other ideas ?

Sorry i know it is in the faq but I am struggling...

Martyn using the handbrake won't increase the brake force compared to the foot brake so don't bother. Try reviing the engine in first gear (3000 maybe) whilst holding the clutch in (i assume the clutch pedal feels normal, if not bleed it) then jab the brakes hard until the engine almost stalls, the quicker you can jab the better to shock the clutch free. Repeat until successful!

Cheers

Andy

When the car is warmed up, engine running & clutch depressed engage reverse gear (no synchro to prevent engagement) Warning - this can strip reverse gear if you are unlucky.

If you have somewhere you can drive the car oof road then get the car warmed up, push start it, & drive around with your foot on the clutch alternately braking & accellerating until it gives in.

Whether either of these are possible given the confinement of the car I'm not sure.

Plan C pull the gear box away from the engine & unbolt the clutch - free off & replace. Swear profusely and vow never to leave the car for so long without starting it up & giving it a run! :angry:

Guest Martyn Elsmore

Thanks to all - i'll know not to leave it stood still for so long next time !!

I'll give it another go at the weekend.

Is this a  fairly common issue on the TR7's

When in storage (over winter) will it help to keep the clutch pedal depressed by a plank of wood ar would this do more harm than good?

thanks again

Martyn

Martyn

This is a fairly common problem with ANY manual gearbox classic!! I know it's a bit late to mention it now, but by far the best means of prevention is to try and drive the thing at weekly intervals - more if you can.

Good Luck...................Mike  :)

Thoroughly warming up the engine indeed makes these things much more effective because of the difference in expansion rate of the flywheel and the clutch linings.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Martyn Elsmore

Yippeeee

Thanks to all for the advice - had to raise the rear of the car up onto axle stands in the end - covered 12 miles in this raised state using a combination of braking etc . No effect about to give up hope , lowered car to the ground and just thought I would try rocking the car in gear with the clutch pedal down then hey presto  :D

Will make a point of taking a drive every week now.