Ride quality & koni setup

Hi. Took the car out for a blast yesterday with the wife - big mistake! I've never given it any real thought (until yesterday) she kept moaning about the ride quality and I suppose to be fair to my 'princess' we all suffer, car included when going over the slightest bump, worst still when the car crosses those rubber strips over bridges. Anyway, last night I read some articles on the subject but need furter help. My car has Koni classics, I believe these are adjustable and married to standard springs all round. What is the best way to adjust these and what setting should I be looking for to improve things?

Thanks all - great forum

Richard

Hi Richard

I have Koni's all round - as I was unsure as what to set them at, I plumbed for mid setting on all four corners to start with... they are still at that setting around three years later!

I also changed to uprated springs on the back (sorry, but cannot recall which), but believe them to be the bog standard 'uprated' ones from Moss(?)

Brgds

Edited by ianhoward

Hi Richard,

there is only one way to adjust Konis - off the car . . . .

Sounds like yours are set far too hard for standard springs, nothing new there. It's all too easy to wind up Konis too far when they're new. Some of that adjustment is meant to take up long term wear, as in stiffening them after 30-40K miles.

They'll work perfectly well and give best ride comfort on the softest setting, one or two notches as it were to stiffen things up a little, by the 3rd notch you really need uprated springs by 20-25% or the car is overdamped.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Richard,

Unlike Spax shocks, which are adjustable on the car, the Koni's have to be taken off to adjust, like Alec mentioned.

I have Koni's on my 6 in combination with lowered uprated springs. They are set at the third notch on all four, which gives a very firm but not uncomfortable ride. I find the handling at this setting very good and predictable, any stiffer than this would be too much for normal street use.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Richard,

Unlike Spax shocks, which are adjustable on the car, the Koni's have to be taken off to adjust, like Alec mentioned.

I have Koni's on my 6 in combination with lowered uprated springs. They are set at the third notch on all four, which gives a very firm but not uncomfortable ride. I find the handling at this setting very good and predictable, any stiffer than this would be too much for normal street use.

Cheers,

Tim

I also have the Koni Classics on the front (Spax on the rear). When I researched these, the guidance was to set them on the lowest setting which is how they came out of the box. They also came out of the box with the orange paint flaking off but that is another story.

With uprated springs and poly everywhere, the only thing saving my ass (figuratively and literally) is the Miata seats.

Stan

Ken, I think the Koni Classics have a slightly different adjusting mechanism. After removing the shock you expand it to reveal a thick white plastic shim that prevents the piston from fully compressing. You remove this shim and then fully compress the shock and at that time the bottom of the rod engages into an adjuster and you can rotate the top of the shock clockwise or anti clockwise as required. Once set you re-insert the shim so the mechanism cant bottom out and self-adjust and Bob's your uncle. I have the pdf for these shocks somewhere but cant seem to locate it quickly online at the moment.

Stan

Hi. Took the car out for a blast yesterday with the wife - big mistake! I've never given it any real thought (until yesterday) she kept moaning about the ride quality and I suppose to be fair to my 'princess' we all suffer, car included when going over the slightest bump, worst still when the car crosses those rubber strips over bridges. Anyway, last night I read some articles on the subject but need furter help. My car has Koni classics, I believe these are adjustable and married to standard springs all round. What is the best way to adjust these and what setting should I be looking for to improve things?

Thanks all - great forum

Richard

Hi Richard,

I have Konis and uprated, lowered springs all round on my 6. I set the rears at 3 clicks from soft and the fronts on full soft. This set up gives a reasonable ride, which her indoors doesn't complain about, even after a 200 mile run. More importantly, turn in is excellent. Cornering is virtually roll-free and and predictable and that's with the standard front anti-roll bar. TR rear squat under acceleration has been eliminated. The car has covered 22,000 miles during the 8 years since fitting and still handles very well.

Jim