Have you bought anything yet Brian?

All seems to have gone quiet?

Hi All,

Sorry I went all quiet all of a sudden, a combination of working away from home alot, and also sorting out a deal from a lead that I got via a PM here on the forum.

Also, I didn't want to jinx the deal by posting too early! :unsure:

Well here she is. I bought her today.

I was contacted by a chap who saw my posting on the forum :) Good lead, and what I wanted. I needed to find the cars that never get advertised...........

My wife has already named her "Tina" the TR, after one of her long departed cats, but keeping the girls happy and involved is a good thing, and Janie giving her a name keeps her involved ;)

So, Tina is in fine fettle, and I did struggle to find much wrong with her. No, she's no concours car, but she is very good. We got her up on a four post lift and had a good look underneath ......... a very fine chassis.

Panel lines weren't bad, the drivers door was a bit large until the rubber rear chassis/body mounting was replaced, which brought things much better into alignment.

A painter also ran the DA and mop over her and bring the paintwork back up to a good shine.

Here are some shots:

Finally HOME !!!

mini-P4130142.jpg

mini-P4130144.jpg

Yes, a bespoke wooden dash - might be frowned upon by some as non standard, but I love it ;)

And here are some from my previous trip to look over Tina:

mini-DSC02415.jpg

mini-DSC02416.jpg

mini-P3200055.jpg

mini-P3200056.jpg

mini-P3200069.jpg

mini-P3200072.jpg

(Looks like that's my limit for the number of photos - the system is whinging at me!)

I forgot to have my camera with me when we were under the car which is a shame otherwise I'd have some good pics there.

What else do I know?

She's a 1965 (built August 1964) TR4 first registered in Grimsby.

I have a Heritage Certificate, and all numbers (Chassis, Body, Engine) all match up.

From all the receipts, it looks like she underwent a fairly major restoration in about 1987/88, including an engine rebuild. There is evidence that bores, mains and B/E are all 20 thou over and that work was done in February 1987. The earliest MOT I have is dated August 1989 with a mileage of 17,810. I have almost if not all MOTs since then. Current mileage is 43,000 so it is almost certain ('cos you can never be absolutely certain) that she's only got 25-30,000 miles on the reconditioned engine.

She's also running HS6 carbies instead of Strombergs (thankfully)

Almost new Chrome wires

Lovely condition Surrey top with hard and soft tops

Pacet fan

Recently re-carpeted

Seatbelts in the back (incase I need to give a lift to very short people with no legs)

Air-horns (but not working at the moment)

(Can't think of anything else just yet)

Yes, there is still a few jobs left for me to tinker with, I'll be converting her to a Pertronix ignition, she seems to be running a bit rich, so I'll have a look at that, and the horn is a bit feeble - I'm sure they're two tone, but only one is working.....

Couple of questions for the knowledgeable......

The Heritage certificate says the engine number is "CT 36133-E" whereas on the engine is is just "CT 36133" - what does the extra "E" mean on the certificate ????

Also, on the ticket that told me about the engine rebore and crank regrind, it says the CAM is 307036, that sounds like a part number, anyone got any clue about what that number means and why they'd go to the trouble of pointing it out??

Thanks everyone for helping me find my car, I've had great fun hunting her down and sharing my experiences with you all. I've already told my group organiser (Rob Isaacson - Nene Valley) that they can no longer call me the "chap in the P6 Rover" :D and I'm looking forward to taking her to the Lilacs on 9th May for our group meeting - should be nice and bright then too, almost the longest day :)

Cheers all,

Brian.

Edited by Brian-Northampton
according to my well p'd off wife, it's a boy!

Sorry mate, all cars are girls - as they say, if it's got tits or wheels it'll give you a load of grief and cost you alot of money :lol:

TBH I thought she might be rich by the speed that the fuel needle dropped on the way home :o , but I took a couple of plugs out and they're a lovely shade of brown, so I'll not be touching the carbs just yet ;) Perhaps I ought to watch my right foot :unsure:

Electronic ignition - Not an immediate change, we'll see how the points last without tweaking, the Pertronix setup I put in my P6 is excellent and completely hidden, so I'll eventually go there.

an old friend that will be sadly missed.

I hope we meet up again at a show. I've dug out my tent, and I'm thinking of doing the international this year, I'll have to check it's still waterproof, my tent is a classic on it's own!

Thanks again, a pleasure to meet you, and I'll look after Tina ;)

Bri.

Edited by Brian-Northampton

Hi Brian,

don't be absurd - you can't call a TR 'Tina'. Beyond the pale.

The motoring world is full of girlie cars that deserve to be called 'she' whatever. Most of them seemingly owned by blonde bimbos who'd screw from here to Timbuctoo for 15 minutes of fame on a reality TV show. The remainder being owned by hairdressers of whatever dubious persuasion . . . OK, you don't want to go there, neither do I !

It's a TR for chrissake, a proper sports car, not some namby pamby descendant of Abingdon or Dagenham or Ryton. Respect the damn thing, don't take the piss out of it.

Cheers,

Alec

.........The remainder being owned by hairdressers of whatever dubious persuasion . . . OK, you don't want to go there, neither do I !

It's a TR for chrissake, a proper sports car, not some namby pamby descendant of Abingdon or Dagenham or Ryton. Respect the damn thing, don't take the piss out of it

You having a bit of an emotional moment there Alec ??? :P

Everyone, many thanks for all you comments, help and support. Hope to meet you at a show soon.

Cheers,

Bri.