Which exhaust?

Hi - Looking to change my current SS twin pipe exhaust system. The one I have was made by Falcon and is in my opinion too noisy. I like the look of the twin system however what I realy want is a system that:

a. improves power.

b. isn't as noisy as the Falcon

I think I may also need to include exhaust manifold to get the best results. can you therefore point me in the right direction with your suggestions.

Look forward to the comments.

Hi,

I think you need to speak to the manufacturers/suppliers as usually the twin box systems tend to be quieter than the sporty single box variety.

Generally if you want quiet then you may have to sacrifice power thus removing the need for a sporty extractor manifold or the like.

I have the Phoenix big bore system with matching extractor manifold and it sounds quite nice - not tiring at speed on long journeys.

I have this system to make fitting into the car easier and stopping the pipework knocking on chassis etc.

Hi I am with Roger H I have now had the Phoenix system that Roger describes for over five years without any issues. Previously had a twin box system make unknown would not return to it.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Mike

I just removed the Falcon twin-box system because it was too quiet blink.gif

If the Phoenix equivalent is not louder I shall be annoyed.

Ivor

Whatever you wish to fit, realize that mild steel is less noisy than SS ;)

A few years ago I also replaced my twin system by a single large bore from Phoenix, but this mainly for ground clearance reasons.

My impression is that the single bore system is louder than the twin pipes, but these days I mostly drive the 6 with hardtop, what gives more resonance inside :blink:

Edited by jean

Hi Waterhouses,

I like you had a falcon twin box system on my 6 and found it noisy, so bought the moss one (about 8 years ago, not sure of the make) that was the same so like many others got the pheonix version inc their manifold, which sounded nice BUT very droney at between 65 and 75 so I either had a nice slow cruise or cane'd it everywhere (usually the latter ;) )

I have since learned that the twin box in general suffers badly with resonance at this rev/speed range.

So after I heard a 6 with the pheonix single box/single up swept pipe sports and fell in love with the sound I went out and got one. It is a smidgeon louder when you give it some serious welly but a nice loud not boomey at all, then settles down to a lovely background burble when cruising at ALL speeds.

As a plus MrsTheWife now doesn't get a migraine (which she previously got on any drive longer than half an hour) and we are now planning on a TR tour of europe at some point which she previously wouldn't entertain :D

Having tried 3 types of twin box stainless over the last 10 years I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the pheonix manifold and single pipe system

Phil B)

Hi ,

I recently bought a Phoenix single big bore with extractor in SS it is brilliant exactly as the previous reply says its not too loud. But beware I am told that they do a number of systems which look the same externally some are quieter than others. A friend of mine had the same looking pipe but he said hois was the race version which was de baffled and sounded like a plane taking off!! Mine isn't that loud but has a great note on my USA carb 6!

I got mine from Andrew Turner Carburettors 01572 767665 I didn't pay £500 for the extractor!! A lot less I think he may have one on Ebay at the moment for £314 !!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TR5-TR6-PHOENIX-SPORTS-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD_W0QQitemZ350318748269QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item51909fe26d

I have no connection to Andrew just had good service.

Good Luck

Mark