Twin turbo Janspeed V8

My old friend Martyn has found a Janspeed twin turbo set-up for sale on the 'net.  It's designed to work with a Rover V8 on SUs and looks to be available for a couple of hundred quid.

Is this madness or are these sort of kits a sensible proposition?

Malcolm.

Guest stagmann

Oh Dear. :P  

You always regret 100% of everything you don't do so just tell us how easy it was to fit and if you need any test pilots to try it out for you. Im sure you will have some willing volunteers.

Guest Larry J-C

A word of warning - I spent some time looking at the twin turbo le Mans car late last year - (I can say more if anyone is interested or ask Alec Pringle who can tell you the whole storya as he was team manager).  It was possibly for sale but for various reasons I did not pursue it.  One of the basic problems with the twin turbo set up was overheating.  They even experimented with a freon system to improve the intercooler effectiveness.  Unless you run so little boost that it virtually has no effect you are going to need bloody big intercoolers to stop the whole thing going pop. Also watch out as the earlier systems sucked through the carbs so the whole air system was filled with a fuel/air mixture - backfires were very spectacular !!  Not trying to put you off, merely ponting out that this is very definitely NOT a bolt on modification !!

Larry

That woke you up Craig  :;):

Thanks for the inspiring and the realistic replies.  Also to Alec who has been mailing me with further advice.  I don't think we have the time, skill or money for this.

Assuming Martyn doesn't try it anyway I'm sure we can forward details to anyone else who may be interested!!

Malcolm.

Mike Johnson (I think it was) had his TR7 V8  at the International 2 or 3 years ago. Thats 4.6 litres and twin turbo'd and he's now looking at the Corvette V8 lump. Seemed to have V Big rad and computer type pancake fans on the bonnet.

Jim

Overheating might be the main problem.

These are certainly the type where you suck through the carbs and can therefore blow up lots of the innards if that ignites. Is a backfire common?

I might still look into this, I have an expendable engine, an 8.13 land rover one, and if it blew my bonnet off completely that would be a minor loss given I have a bulge in it that isn't needed now and I know where I can get a spare one. Overheating is a constant problem anyway, with the engine I have so it might even be less quick to do it. ;)

But I'll certainly consider the points as making the value a lot less. Could make a good winter engine ;) Dunno if it runs SU's as such, I've got whatever the LR came with, solex are they? Still, I guess choice of carbs is much of a muchness in that sense.