Is it a TR2 or TR3?

If it was a Belgian car originally then chances are it was a CKD one built there in which case it should have a chassis number actually physically stamped on the chassis and the shell somewhere which was the practice for those cars. Usually front right hand chassis leg area and right hand side of bulkhead. Careful examination may well reveal that.

Stuart.

Thank you for your answer, Alan.

Yes, Alan my english is not very good. I meant "All papers to be done". But here in Spain whe can register these cars as "historical" and then I don't need orginal documents. I guess I can redo the commission number plate and register the car with it but with what number?

Hi Leonardo,

it's a mongrel, a bitsa, with no clear identity or documentation or history . . . . which will always limit its value, now as a project car and just as much in the future if it is rebuilt. It needs a full rebuild, and presumably a lot of parts are missing ?

Forget 9000 euros, think more like 5000, maximum.

Cheers,

Alec

Thank you for your answer, Alan.

Yes, Alan my english is not very good. I meant "All papers to be done".

But here in Spain whe can register these cars as "historical" and then I don't need orginal documents.

I guess I can redo the commission number plate and register the car with it but with what number?

On further thought, the lack of ALL identity numbers is more than a little suspicious.

Suggest you forward details to the TR Club in Belgium and TR Clubs in any other likely

countries to see if there is any record of such a car being stolen.

There seems to be a way of registering cars without any identity in Spain - that makes

Spain a good destination for a stolen car.

AlanR

There seems to be a way of registering cars without any identity in Spain - that makes

Spain a good destination for a stolen car.

AlanR

No, as I said I'm just talking of "historical" cars, It's a way to register old cars found in scrapyards where you can not trace its history but the cars must have a comission number, in fact in Spain the body has to have the number stamped somewhere.

Anyway I'll try to do more inquiries about the car.

Thanks

Edited by Leonardo

Alan and Leonardo - Mike is correct. My very early TR3A came with the 4 studs for mounting the carbs but I have the banjo fittings to attach the fuel lines to the float bowls. These carbs have the push-on rubber hoses which were introduced mid-TR3A era about TS 43000. They probably came with this very late TR3A engine.

Leonardo - Are the bupmer irons for the front bumper as per the flat steel ones for the TR2 and TR3 or are they the reinforced ones with the "C" channel shape as introduced on the TR3A. Is the front bumper as per the TR2 and TR3 or very rounded as on the TR3A ? See the TR2 bumper on the white TR2 and my TR3A bumper for comparison.

No, as I said I'm just talking of "historical" cars, It's a way to register old cars found in scrapyards where you can not trace its history but the cars must have a comission number, in fact in Spain the body has to have the number stamped somewhere.

Anyway I'll try to do more inquiries about the car.

Thanks

Leonardo

If I was you I would walk away 9000 euros is far too much for a car in that state even with papers. You could import yourself a nice project from the States or Canada for that sort of money and have some change left over to start the restoration. look at these for a starter

Drakes motors canada

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Yes, yes, of course, as I said I think 9000 € could be a start to negotiate a real TR2 (and maybe ending in something like 7500 €). For this one now I think the price would be half of the requested: 4500€ as Alec Pringle said. But I'm not sure if I'm interested in a car that I don't know what it is.

Thank you Alan, but I have heard too many headaches of people importing cars by themselves from USA, one even arrived with no engine (lost somewhere coming to Europe). In fact I was no looking for a TR2 but as someone offered the car to me I started to think in it, maybe one day I find another one or maybe not, but a TR4A and a TR6 maybe is enough... who nows.

Edited by Leonardo

If you are looking for a dealer in europe then this guy might be of help

Joop Stolze

TR's are not rare beasts they made 80,000 plus sidescreens ok only 8500 were TR2's but that doesnt make them worth their weight in gold

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Do the scuttle vent & the master cylinders not point to a TR3?

This dose seem to flag up a possible stolen car but who would steal such a thing and take it to spain.May be £5000 answers that one

Check here daily : -

http://www.triumphauctionwatch.com/auctions.php?model=General&category=Badges&country=CAN

Then if you find one you like at the price you want to pay, ask us questions as to out thoughts and opinions. Then maybe we can find someone willing to go check it out.

Or do the same with sales and with dealers in Europe.

Do the scuttle vent & the master cylinders not point to a TR3?

This dose seem to flag up a possible stolen car but who would steal such a thing and take it to spain.May be £5000 answers that one

I guess if anybody wants to stole a TR2 or a TR3 would choose another car...

As I said the car was sold in Belgium to a Spanish guy who thought he bought a TR2 and now he is trying to sell it. He is astonished with the info I gave him of his car.

Leonardo - The sun will still shine tomorrow. It is sunny Spain after all. There are other fish in the sea and other TRs are available all over.

You will eventually find the one you want. It will have none of these questions connected to it like this one has.

I feel very lucky in that I had no problem when I bought my 1958 TR3A. I bought it brand new in May 1958 from one of the 4 TR3A dealers here in Montreal 52 years ago. The photos are from 1987 and 2009.

Well, the owner of the car is reading the topic and he's not happy with "the mess I made with his car".

So the story is ended for me right now.

Thank you all.

Leonardo,

I think you are far better off without it.

It's not you who have made any "mess" - it's the current owner trying

to sell a mess and he isn't happy to have been found out.

We all get very attached to our TRs - imagine how you would have felt

driving a TR and not really knowing what it was.

AlanR

You're right Alan. Thanks.

Yes Don, we have a vey beautiful, sunny and bright day here today. ;)

Nice Car!!! Yes, for sure you did not have these problems when you bought, but you had to do the running in of your TR3A. :D

I see you have not changed too much in 52 years :rolleyes:

I have changed much more in 35 years:

cap008.th.jpg

I'm the kid with shorts and that is my father's TR4.

Another pic, I guess many of you know this TR2:

tr22peq.th.jpg

And me (15 years ago) with a friend's TR3A:

tr3a22peq.th.jpg

Edited by Leonardo

Well, the owner of the car is reading the topic and he's not happy with "the mess I made with his car".

So the story is ended for me right now.

Thank you all.

Hey Leanardo. To quote the Old Testament, "to hell with this guy and his TR-whatever." Pawn shop owners have a motto, "the pawn shop owner who TRUSTS his client, is out of business." With the complete removal of any identifying numbers on this car, IT IS AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN. THIS CAN BE A STOLEN CAR, which everyone on here has been too polite to mention.

Tell him you'll tow it away for him if he gives you $500.

There are too many fish in the sea. Just contact the Triumph Clubs over there and tell them to keep an eye out for a car for you. It won't be long. Heck, good ol' Menno will probably find you a car in an hour and a half.

Bueno suerte.

• 4 weeks later...