I'm new to the Register having just bought a 1972 TR6.

The car has the original hood (in good condition) but it has gone grey from the original black.

Any ideas on how to restore?  One firm I talked to suggested canvas shoe restorer.  I see there are some products made for soft tops but does anyone know if they work?

Look forward to hearing views.

Hi DavidC & welcome;

if it really is the original hood it has done extremely well, what are the windows like?. Vinyl gets very brittle with age &, as far as I know, there is not much you can do to restore suppleness. Products designed for leather or canvas rely on absorption & will not really work on vinyl which, by it’s very nature, is not absorbent. If it’s lost it’s colour a product like Armour All is unlikely to work but you could try one of the “Back to Black” products but this is unlikely to effect a permanent cure. You could try one of the vinyl paints but these are quite expensive to the point you should ask yourself “is it worth the effort”. I would think seriously about getting a new hood, they are not that expensive & will transform the look of a car.

Renovo have products for vinyl too including one for cleaning up the clear perspex.  Have tried their other stuff on a double duck tonneau and it restored the colour nicely (touch of shrinkage though)
This is worth a try if it is canvas, not vinyl, equal amounts of black shoe polish and Barbour wax (for cotton jackets) melted together (carefully, both are flammable), apply to hood and use hair drier or bright hot sun to soak in and disperse!  This helps with the suppleness and waterproofing as well.   Black shoe polish is also worth applying to vinyl.
Having never used Autoglym ie no financial interest I thought I would try their vinyl hood dressing. Result a very happy bunny with a very black glossy vinyl hood but also much improved plastic windows that show little of the original scuffing. A good result for under a fiver

Hi David

I used Renovo last year on a double duck hood which had faded by varying amounts on the different panels, the results are excellent and it is very easy to apply with a 2" paintbrush.

You can buy it mail order via their website, and a 500ml bottle is more than adequate for a TR6 sized hood.

Ron

PS welcome to the forum :)

This is a little off-topic I know.  Since we are talking about hoods - I have fitted a new mohair one.  It's not a bad job at all but it is just a little loose.  Someone mentioned 'shrinkage' earlier on in the thread.  Is there anything that I can 'deliberately' do to shrink/tighten it up a tad??

Malcolm.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all:

I used the Renovo, bought direct from their website - decided to go for the full works of cleaner, colour and reproofing.

The results are very good especially since the hood really was a pale grey to start with.  It now has a nice even black colour after two coats with the colour restorer.  And I have some left to treat it again when it needs it again.  

I have tried the window treatment on one of the side windows and it also looks to give a very good result.

So, thoroughly recommend this product.  My only bit of advice would be to take care with the initial cleaning.  Get of much of the old gunk off the hood as possible - if you don't in places you do notice it when you put the colouring on.  You get a bit of slime appearing!  But no lasting effect so far as I can see.

Thanks to all for the comments.

David