minilite wheels

Hi Kev,

I'm not sure about shipping them in cheaper. The cost of my Superlite wheels AND tyres came to $1,780.00 AUD...but I do like them and as Alec pointed out, they have a good name... :)

The company that supplied them here in Perth was West State Tyres. West State Tyre Link

Give them a call.

Tony

Edited by Tonymill

Tony,

Are you sure that your wheels are only 14"? They seem to clear the front calipers very well.

It is quite difficult to see what the low profile tires will look like when the body will be mounted on top of the chassis, but I think they won't have too modern a look (is that correctly formulated? :blink: ) on your car. Like many others I am very anxious to see the finished product.

Great restoration by the way! B)

Oops...you are quite right, they are 15" don't know where I got 14" from?.. :o

I too, am looking forward to seeing the finished product. I decided today that I will respray my door as I believe I can do better with them.. :D

Cheers

Tony

Kev, Performance Wheels make minilite replicas in SA. www.superlitewheels.com I have a set of 10 spoke with 6x 15 with 205-60-15 Dunlop sport don't have any clearance problems,car is lowered 30mm fitted to 4a. Like the look of both 10 spoke and 8 spoke. Australian classic wire wheels stock them in Melbourtne. www.acww.com.au

Tony,

Do the Superlite 15 x 6 wheels have a 3P off set?

Thanks

Hi Duncan,

Not sure what you mean by a '3P' offset. My original Wolfrace wheels caught on the Wilwood brake caliper, hence the need to change. The distance from the back of the mounting flange to the rim (inside), is approx. 4" if that helps.

Tony

Neil,

If these are being exported out of the EU, which Australia is, there should be absolutely no VAT to pay whatsoever, provided Rimmers are able to provide the correct paperwork for completion.

There will of course be whatever import duties and taxes are levied in Australia to pay.

Having said all of that, centrelock alloys whilst looking nice will never be as good on a car that's being driven, as normal bolt on alloys.

It's all to do with the additional unsprung weight of the splined adaptor and the splined centre of the wheel.

In my opinion, the best solution is to fit normal length wheel studs to the car's hubs/halfshafts and then use a 6mm spacer behined the splined adaptor if it's important to be able to fit wires and alloys.

Once the splined adaptor and spacer are removed, the alloy wheel will bolt straight on as normal.

That's what I'd do.

David

Dave,

Make sure you check the length of your wheel studs. I had to fit longer ones (extra 5/16") as my originals only went in to the wheel nut about 1/4" using Superlite alloy's.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Tonymill

Neil,

If these are being exported out of the EU, which Australia is, there should be absolutely no VAT to pay whatsoever, provided Rimmers are able to provide the correct paperwork for completion.

There will of course be whatever import duties and taxes are levied in Australia to pay.

Having said all of that, centrelock alloys whilst looking nice will never be as good on a car that's being driven, as normal bolt on alloys.

It's all to do with the additional unsprung weight of the splined adaptor and the splined centre of the wheel.

In my opinion, the best solution is to fit normal length wheel studs to the car's hubs/halfshafts and then use a 6mm spacer behined the splined adaptor if it's important to be able to fit wires and alloys.

Hi David

Yep you and I know ;)

Once the splined adaptor and spacer are removed, the alloy wheel will bolt straight on as normal.

That's what I'd do.

David

Correct David

Edited by ntc

OK guys, after taking into consideration the additional costing of the centresplined wheels and new tyres, and for an imminent respray, I'm going to have to opt for the bolt ons, which is no big deal really compared to the other. (can't justify the additional cost and disadvantages comments) What length wheel studs do I need ??? Thank you all for your knowledgeable input. Thanks Tonymill for advice, pic and pricing.

Will go for 15 x 5.5

Am getting hooked on to this forum!!!!no doubt you all are!!

Edited by kevj

Importing anything into Australia with a value of over $1000 Aus will see you having to pay import duty and maybe GST as well. It would be wise to check out how much as any saving may soon dissapear. Getting the sender to put a lower value on the item may work but if you get sprung you may have a fine to pay as well.

Minilite copies are available in Australia.

I have 6 X 15 Performance Superlites on my TR4 with 205/65/15 Pirelli P7 on the back and 195/65/15 on the front. I have lowered my suspension about 40mm all round and Ihavent had any clearance problems. They will cost you a lot less than imported wheels even if you dont have to pay the VAT. They do 2 differant styles in the 15 inch wheels. Make sure you go for the 8 spoke as the 10 spoke look ****.

Tony,

Could you post a few larger pictures of your car? In your avatar, the wheels seem to fill the arches beautifully. Do you have any idea about the offset?

Regards,

Kristof.

First of all it is very important to know what purpose and what kind of look you have in mind for your car. I believe a wide tire (for a TR that is :D ) looks very nice. A 185 or a 195 doesn't seem out of place.

Tire height should be determined by how much you have lowered or plan to lower your car. When you keep it stock, I would go with a pretty high tire, otherwise the area between the tire and the arch may appear way too large.

Brandwise I'd opt for Michelin time after time (or Toyos if you want to take it to the track B) )

Regards,

Kristof.

Edited by TR4AIRS

no plans to lower, will keep stock. How about some pics of stock cars with minilites to compare tyre sizes. Want to fill arches without fouling. Is it possible.???

Fouling is all relative. Here's a picture of my daily driver. My tires rarely hit the arches :)

post-7210-126691442587_thumb.jpg

post-7210-126691442587_thumb.jpg

Edited by TR4AIRS

Have ordered set of 15 x 6 bolt on superlites, 8 spoke, traditional design in platinum, 3 wk waiting list. A$210 per corner. Now need to decide on tyres.

Good one Kev,

They should come with the correct wheel nuts but do check on the stud length mate..

Cheers

Tony

Kev,

If you've had wires fitted without spacers behind the splined hub adaptor, you will need to replace your studs, whatever happens.

It's possible standard length studs will be perfectly fine. However, if you need longer studs, Cambridge Motorsport will be able to help you out. I would post a link to their webpage but my pc is not allowing me to do this at the moment!

Tony may have the details as I pointed him in this direction too.

However, you will need to be aware that these longer studs are not screwed in and peened over on the back of the hub, they pull in through the hub.

Good choice on the wheels and the right decision to come to!

David