Hi All

First time of registering & using the Forum. Having made it to the Hopcroft and back in my TR4 the inadequancy of the TR heater was very much apparent or am I getting old?. I am considering fitting a Clayton Heater, has anyone advice on doing this? what are the problems? can it be done with the Dash Board and gearbox cover in place,what switch should I use, and is it worth it?. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chris Hubball.

Hi Chris,

and welcome.

Have you tried back flushing the existing heater ? And checking that the stop tap on the supply from the block isn't all furred up ? And that the hoses are good ? Not to mention the air hoses under the dash. Many a 'useless' heater has been replaced unnecessarily, when all it needed was a good clean . . .

Cheers,

Alec

I fitted the Clayton heater, and yes, you can do it with the dash board and gearbox cover in place. The Clayton heat exchanger requires some slight modifications to the heater casing for the input and output pipes, but I got everything to fit. I used two of the three speeds on the fan (highest and lowest) as was suggested by Clayton, and used the two position switch that is used for the TR4 headlights and the TR5/6 heater. You need to enlarge the hole for this switch, but the original knob will fit. Since I still have positive ground, I had to use the switch as a connection to ground. Everything works well, and the heat is now superb. The original heater worked well when it was new in my 1965 TR4 in the late 60s, but I gave up with mine. Victoria British in the US sell a replacement heat exchanger for the standard unit, and if I had been aware of it at the time, I might have tried that. Anyway, I'm very please with the Clayton heater.

Have you tried back flushing the existing heater ? And checking that the stop tap on the supply

from the block isn't all furred up ? And that the hoses are good ? Not to mention the air hoses

under the dash. Many a 'useless' heater has been replaced unnecessarily, when all it needed was a good clean . . .

Hi Chris,

Sound advice.

The TR4 heater is effective as long as it's working properly.

Plus, with the cold weather and slower speeds, you don't get as much effect

from the air vent.

It may be that the upgraded heaters will work a bit better under these

extreme circumstances, but I certainly agree with Alec to flush out and

check your existing system before thinking of alternatives.

Easier and cheaper.

AlanR

I must admit the heater on my 4a is pretty good and much better than the earlier sidescreen heater. I did completely rebuild it when I restored the car with the matrix cleaned out and new foam seals in the box and a new valve and even now after fifteen years when using it there is still that nice "new car" smell that comes through it :P

Stuart.

• 10 years later...

I concur with the above advice on fitting, when I fitted mine I removed the central h frame. It’s a real squeeze and I spent a lot of time upside down.

i do have an unused and boxed heater for my 4a, for some reason I bought 2 ! Happy to offer a decent discount on the £700+ for REVINGTON one I have

if interested let me know

tks

The heaters on the 4A onwards are basically fine. In good condition they work well, even better with a winter thermostat.

The Clayton heater is unlikely to offer a big benefit over the standard. If you put a better control valve on and a winter thermostat in the cooler months (applies to the expensive upgrades too) they should be pretty good.  There is a thread on more cost effective ways of upgrading your own heater.

(Replace the core if it is old or clogged and fit a more powerful fan and seal it properly so the air goes through the core) 

The Clayton heater upgrade is more of an improvement on the early cars.

14 hours ago, iain said:

The T7 Design heater is also a better and more cost effective solution for Sidescreens cars.  Creating space behind the instruments which is very welcome!

https://www.t7design.co.uk/3-5kw-lightweight-heater-with-side-vents-12v.html

No association just a very warm customer!

Iain

Yep theyre a great choice, I have fitted several and they indeed give so much more access behind the dash.

Stuart.

16 hours ago, iain said:

The T7 Design heater is also a better and more cost effective solution for Sidescreens cars.  Creating space behind the instruments which is very welcome!

https://www.t7design.co.uk/3-5kw-lightweight-heater-with-side-vents-12v.html

No association just a very warm customer!

Iain

This looks like the heater I recently bought for my 1275GT, will double check.

12 minutes ago, Jase said:

This looks like the heater I recently bought for my 1275GT, will double check.

It is a favourite amongst the Mini fraternity.

Stuart.